Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Given him plenty of chances mate. He's had two seasons now and is still as ineffectual as ever, despite Wenger persisting with him. Even if you look at his performances before coming to Arsenal he frustrated Lille fans with his bad decisions and wayward shooting. Difference is he had much more space to play with in the French league than in the Premiership, hence the better stats. Same is true of the ACoN. This is not a player who will win you trophies. I cant think of a clearer example of this than when he let defenders take a penalty before him in the ACoN final then bottled it when he eventually had to step up.

Rosicky was always a much more talented player than Gervinho anyway.
    That's true, at Dortmund Rosicky was expected to be a future star, not really comparable to gervinho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Woah Woah woah, I have to disagree with bendtner, not a guy who lacks confidence regardless of anyone's point of view. Same goes for squillaci, very experienced when we signed him, I think he was part of Monaco's champions league final side against mourinho's Porto, he can't use a lack of backing as an excuse. I'd agree chamakh and arshavin could have benefited from some more support though and while I don't dislike djourou, I don't think he was that great a defender and for fans he highlighted the drop in quality we've seen over the last few years, so perhaps frustrations were unloaded onto him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Arshavin needed a salad and half an hour on the treadmill not more support and it's hard for fans to back chamakh when every week there are people saying theyve seen him out in mayfair the night before the game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Arshavin needed a salad and half an hour on the treadmill not more support and it's hard for fans to back chamakh when every week there are people saying theyve seen him out in mayfair the night before the game
    Brilliant! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Given him plenty of chances mate. He's had two seasons now and is still as ineffectual as ever, despite Wenger persisting with him. Even if you look at his performances before coming to Arsenal he frustrated Lille fans with his bad decisions and wayward shooting. Difference is he had much more space to play with in the French league than in the Premiership, hence the better stats. Same is true of the ACoN. This is not a player who will win you trophies. I cant think of a clearer example of this than when he let defenders take a penalty before him in the ACoN final then bottled it when he eventually had to step up.

Rosicky was always a much more talented player than Gervinho anyway.
    The only fault that is glaringly obvious with Gervinho is his finishing and poor decision making as he dwells on the ball too much when he should be firing in a cross early. Walcott had similar problems a few seasons ago and he came back stronger when the fans got behind after he had a few decent games last season. There is a lot of evidence I feel that Gervinho can still improve unlike Chamack and thats the only reason I'm saying that we need keep faith.

ReputationRep:
    ANDRE santos destroyed cheslea when he played on the left wing and not only that he scored that vital equalisir when Chelsea were 2-1 up:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    The only fault that is glaringly obvious with Gervinho is his finishing and poor decision making as he dwells on the ball too much when he should be firing in a cross early. Walcott had similar problems a few seasons ago and he came back stronger when the fans got behind after he had a few decent games last season. There is a lot of evidence I feel that Gervinho can still improve unlike Chamack and thats the only reason I'm saying that we need keep faith.
    That's so unfair on Chamackh Do you remember that chip against reading 7-4 :coma: class act

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    ANDRE santos destroyed cheslea when he played on the left wing and not only that he scored that vital equalisir when Chelsea were 2-1 up:lol:
    Speaking of players who need a salad...

ReputationRep:
    According to La Stampa, Jovetic has rejected Arsenal and according to GdS, agreed to a 5m (inc. bonuses) deal with Juventus and now it's just down to the teams to work out a fee for the player, which'll no doubt be cut down with the inclusion of Marrone, Quagliarella etc.

EDIT: Also, regarding Thiago Alcantara, it's being reported that his release clause is 90m but according to Tancredi Palmeri, an Italian journalist on twitter (and quite a reliable one) there's another clause in the contract stating that if he doesn't play a certain number of minutes, the price drops to 18m euro, and he hasn't met the required number of minutes. Now I know it's not necessarily a position we need strengthening in, but he is the kind of player that top teams acquire when challenging for titles + there's the issue of Fabregas + Song money that would probably drop his price a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    According to La Stampa, Jovetic has rejected Arsenal and according to GdS, agreed to a 5m (inc. bonuses) deal with Juventus and now it's just down to the teams to work out a fee for the player, which'll no doubt be cut down with the inclusion of Marrone, Quagliarella etc.
    Ah well. He wasn't our top target anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Ah well. He wasn't our top target anyway
    No? Who is then?

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'd much rather an out and out goal scorer than Jovetic. A Higuain or someone. We already have Giroud who I think will come on a lot stronger next season.

Like the look of Grenier. Obviously not the marquee signing we are looking for but certainly looks a talent that will be a top top player in a couple of years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)

EDIT: Also, regarding Thiago Alcantara, it's being reported that his release clause is 90m but according to Tancredi Palmeri, an Italian journalist on twitter (and quite a reliable one) there's another clause in the contract stating that if he doesn't play a certain number of minutes, the price drops to 18m euro. Now I know it's not necessarily a position we need strengthening in, but he is the kind of player that top teams acquire when challenging for titles + there's the issue of Fabregas + Song money that would probably drop his price a bit more.
    Agreed that he doesn't play in a position we need strengthening in but i would get him if he's available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Lol so we aren't in for David Villa anymore?
    Dont tell me you actually believed we would sign him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalaf)
    Dont tell me you actually believed we would sign him
    We could have signed him but i didnt want him anyway

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's all about Lewandowski.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    No chance. He's off to Bayern. I don't know who we'll sign if we don't get Jovetic, I don't want Villa at Arsenal. He isn't the same player as say 2-3 or three years ago. He's lost a yard of pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    It's pretty much guaranteed that he will be a Bayern player by the end of the transfer window so discussing it is pointless tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    No chance. He's off to Bayern. I don't know who we'll sign if we don't get Jovetic, I don't want Villa at Arsenal. He isn't the same player as say 2-3 or three years ago. He's lost a yard of pace.
    Bayern haven't made an offer yet so I can still dream. I'm on the fence about Jovetic for 25 mil, if we can get it down to 20-22mil then I come off the fence but I would prefer Higuain no matter what the Jovetic price ends up being.

ReputationRep:
    Said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want Higuain to come to arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want Higuain to come to arsenal.
    Why!? He's exactly what Arsenal need. Jovetic isn't a 25goal season goalscorer, he's more of a creative second striker like Bergkamp was.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.