Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Is anyone who is planning on going to one of the Manchester universities considering moving into a house? I've already done a degree and lived in halls so I know I'd rather live in a house! Anyone else thinking of going down this road?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaylou12)
    Hi everyone! Is anyone who is planning on going to one of the Manchester universities considering moving into a house? I've already done a degree and lived in halls so I know I'd rather live in a house! Anyone else thinking of going down this road?
    Hi, I'm going to uni of Manc probably and I've also got a previous degree in psychology.. Been looking into private halls but I'm really not sure! Do you know if housing would be cheaper? Cos I would prefer to live in the city center

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djavor)
    Hi, I'm going to uni of Manc probably and I've also got a previous degree in psychology.. Been looking into private halls but I'm really not sure! Do you know if housing would be cheaper? Cos I would prefer to live in the city center
    Hi, I'm leaning towards UofM out of the two as well, but it's a tough choice! I think monthly rent is generally cheaper in houses, although you then have to add bills on top which will be a guesstimate. Halls have all bills included. What private halls were you looking at? There was one uni hall that I liked as it has postgrads as well as undergrads, but the chances of getting put there are probably quite low!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else slightly worried about living costs whilst at uni... sucks that we only get a minimal student finance maintenance loan because of being NHS funded. I mean, obviously I'm happy we're NHS funded unlike things like paramedic science... but just worries me that the NHS bursary might not be enough to help me scrape by (I think I'm just pointlessly worrying, instead of crossing the bridge when I come to it) But just wondered what everyone else's thoughts are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzydizzyyy)
    Anyone else slightly worried about living costs whilst at uni... sucks that we only get a minimal student finance maintenance loan because of being NHS funded. I mean, obviously I'm happy we're NHS funded unlike things like paramedic science... but just worries me that the NHS bursary might not be enough to help me scrape by (I think I'm just pointlessly worrying, instead of crossing the bridge when I come to it) But just wondered what everyone else's thoughts are?
    I do worry about these things but I'm gonna wait till I know how much I get then proceed from there.

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same. How on earth am I going to get by? But then I think, well I just will because I'll have to. It's going to be a struggle for some of us but it will be worth it in the end, like they say.. No pain, no gain. Or whatever it is haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Hey I went to Essex and UEA is their Derby rival.

norwich is a great night out, specially tailored to students and there's loads of venues for music and stuff! The campus is nice and there's a good vibe there! If I had graduated from Essex I would've defo applied there (I'm in 2nd year transferring to DMU for SaLT)

essex ex is a campus as well and you become like a little family! You meet people all the time as well!

However, Manchester is sick as well! I love the city and it's got a nice vibe!
    Ah great, thanks! I think it's going to end up being that I'd be really happy at either and just need to choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0rangesandLemons)
    Ah okay thank you, and is Norwich interesting enough to live in? What's the nightlife like? I'm a bit worried about the fact that it's a campus uni, as it seems to be a bit cut off from everything else!
    I still go back to visit and I'm always finding new places to go to! The nightlife is good. There's a club on campus called the LCR which is very popular on Tuesday's and saturdays, I had some of my best nights there! There's definitely enough clubs but tons of bars. Norwich is smaller than Manchester so there'll obviously be more clubs there. I never felt cut off, it takes 15 minutes or so on the bus to get to the centre or about a 30/40 min walk so it's really not bad. If you're more looking for a very big city to live in with a city campus then maybe Manchester would be better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    I feel exactly the same. How on earth am I going to get by? But then I think, well I just will because I'll have to. It's going to be a struggle for some of us but it will be worth it in the end, like they say.. No pain, no gain. Or whatever it is haha.
    Yes "where there's a will, there's a way" and all that jazz!

ReputationRep:
    I worry about this too! Especially with the bursary being means tested thus I qualify for nothing all I will be getting is the £1000 grant. My parents are so supportive though and I know they will do everything they can to help me! I just feel bad asking them for £3-4000 to pay for my accommodation each year! But we will all be in the same boat at university and I'm sure everyone will be able to muddle together to make things as cost efficient as possible. Try not to over-think it too much it is a hurdle you can worry about when you get to it. What university have you firmed ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LT1508)
    I worry about this too! Especially with the bursary being means tested thus I qualify for nothing all I will be getting is the £1000 grant. My parents are so supportive though and I know they will do everything they can to help me! I just feel bad asking them for £3-4000 to pay for my accommodation each year! But we will all be in the same boat at university and I'm sure everyone will be able to muddle together to make things as cost efficient as possible. Try not to over-think it too much it is a hurdle you can worry about when you get to it. What university have you firmed ?
    Don't mean to butt in but have you also applied to student finance for the reduced loan? Its only about £2300 a year and it does have to be paid back eventually but don't think its means tested.

I will go away now lol ......

PS where are you heading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Don't mean to butt in but have you also applied to student finance for the reduced loan? Its only about £2300 a year and it does have to be paid back eventually but don't think its means tested.

I will go away now lol ......

PS where are you heading?
    Hey you're not butting in! (Did make me chuckle though) Yes I am going to look at applying for that as well! I will still need a lot of support though in terms of commuting to placements and things like that! I have firmed Marjon! What about you!?

ReputationRep:
    Hey you're not butting in! (Did make me chuckle though) Yes I am going to look at applying for that as well! I will still need a lot of support though in terms of commuting to placements and things like that! I have firmed Marjon! What about you!?
    I know - sorry - but I went through this all last year and have learned a thing or two so cant help chipping in! I am in my first year at MMU. Cant believe I have almost done my first year!

You get your placement travel costs refunded by the NHS - it takes a little time but you do get it back!

I get a full bursary from the NHS and the loan from SFE but my mum still has to help out a bit - its really mean that our course does not qualify for more assistance - for instance no eligibility for uni bursaries! But I suppose there is the element of less debt at the end of it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    I know - sorry - but I went through this all last year and have learned a thing or two so cant help chipping in! I am in my first year at MMU. Cant believe I have almost done my first year!

You get your placement travel costs refunded by the NHS - it takes a little time but you do get it back!

I get a full bursary from the NHS and the loan from SFE but my mum still has to help out a bit - its really mean that our course does not qualify for more assistance - for instance no eligibility for uni bursaries! But I suppose there is the element of less debt at the end of it all.
    So you get travel expenses back even if you dont qualify for anything but your fees being paid? I hate the fact that it is means tested because I don't really want to be asking my parents for money but I have no other option really

ReputationRep:
    So you get travel expenses back even if you dont qualify for anything but your fees being paid? I hate the fact that it is means tested because I don't really want to be asking my parents for money but I have no other option really
    I thought everyone could claim back expenses - the only proviso being it must be more than your usual travel costs to uni (which in my case is easy as I walk to uni from my halls!) - I could be wrong though so check out the bursary website to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm thinking of going to Leeds Beckett for Speech and Language Therapy 2015,
    I want to live in halls but worried about student finance and NHS bursary,
    will I have enough money?
    Is anyone else applying or have already been through the process?
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's really unfair that they rely on your parents being nice enough to lend you money!!! I have firmed Plymouth insured DMU... loved both, but for me Plymouth just seemed like such a lovely place to live in general, and it's got quite a big department which is nice! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's really unfair that they rely on your parents being nice enough to lend you money!!! I have firmed Plymouth insured DMU... loved both, but for me Plymouth just seemed like such a lovely place to live in general, and it's got quite a big department which is nice! What about you?
    I am exactly the same, Plymouth as my firm and DMU as my insurance! What are you going to do in terms of accommodation? I'm going to go into halls, hopefully with an en-suite so it can be mixed and I can meet a wider variety of people!

ReputationRep:
    I am exactly the same, Plymouth as my firm and DMU as my insurance! What are you going to do in terms of accommodation? I'm going to go into halls, hopefully with an en-suite so it can be mixed and I can meet a wider variety of people!
    Ah crazy!!! How exciting, we may be course mates! I'm going to go into halls too... I was under the impression that they had limited en-suite halls though, so was just going to go for general halls! Kinda annoyed that it's single sex if it's shared bathroom though so may try applying for en-suite... we apply in June right?

ReputationRep:
    Ah crazy!!! How exciting, we may be course mates! I'm going to go into halls too... I was under the impression that they had limited en-suite halls though, so was just going to go for general halls! Kinda annoyed that it's single sex if it's shared bathroom though so may try applying for en-suite... we apply in June right?
    I am so excited to go! (fingers crossed I get the grades) Yeah I think they only have about 60 en suite rooms? Applications open 1st of June! Where abouts are you coming from, I will be coming from just West of London

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.