Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    Rightt? But it doesn't actually have a proton to donate?

[HA]<---> [H+] + [A-]

So it reacts with A- and equilibrium shifts to the left?
    it accepts an electron pair so it is a lewis acid. i'm not sure if they ask for lewis acids and bases in exam????? it is in the book's blue boxes.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got the mark scheme for the June 15 paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlam)
    haven't kept up with the discussion in recent minutes but where's the lone pair that it's accepting to become a lewis acid?
    It can form an adduct with two acetate ions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BanterBus)
    alow m8 just allow it, for this spec we dont need to know Lewis acids, take it to another thread.
    (Original post by alow)
    Clearly you do, because if not you won't be able to understand these equilibria.
    Looks like we've memorised it and not understood it. Oh dear. I have no clue what Lewis acids are or why it's accepting electrons or how this relates to equilibria. Lets hope they just add a normal acid or a normal base, like a normal person...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    it accepts an electron pair so it is a lewis acid. i'm not sure if they ask for lewis acids and bases in exam????? it is in the book's blue boxes.
    If it's in the blue boxes, knowing OCR it's bound to be a 6 marker. We're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we've memorised it and not understood it. Oh dear. I have no clue what Lewis acids are or why it's accepting electrons or how this relates to equilibria. Lets hope they just add a normal acid or a normal base, like a normal person...
    It's the same as using AlCl3 as a halogen carrier, where the Lewis acid (AlCl3) accepts an electron pair from a halide.

ReputationRep:
    I was making the (crude) assumption that he's talking about reacting Mg(OH)2 with an acid. As during buffer/neutralisation questions they'd state to add Mg(OH)2, not just leave it as "Mg2+".
    The question just said magnesium, they added magnesium.

ReputationRep:
    Question 6a for the June 15 paper http://stsmith.co.uk/data/documents/...1-QP-Jun15.pdf

How the F325 am I supposed to know which is more negative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    That's a lot simpler then. Just a simple acid+metal rxn.

ReputationRep:
    **** knows. Take your chances and pick a direction?

ReputationRep:
    **** knows. Take your chances and pick a direction?
    I guess because Metal + Acid makes a Metal Salt of the Acid, you would have to reduce the amount of acid used as the metal is reacting with it?

ReputationRep:
    I guess because Metal + Acid makes a Metal Salt of the Acid, you would have to reduce the amount of acid used as the metal is reacting with it?
    Seems legit? Idk.

ReputationRep:
    Question 6a for the June 15 paper http://stsmith.co.uk/data/documents/...1-QP-Jun15.pdf

The answer is ECD I think.

Look at the first cell. The right electrode is the cathode, so that means E is more negative than C.

Look at the second electrode. The left electrode is the cathode, so that means C is more negative than D.

Therefore, E is most negative, followed by C, followed by D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    The answer is ECD I think.

Look at the first cell. The right electrode is the cathode, so that means E is more negative than C.

Look at the second electrode. The left electrode is the cathode, so that means C is more negative than D.

Therefore, E is most negative, followed by C, followed by D.
    Oh so whatever is the side with the negative is the most negative, wow when I put it that way it looks really obvious haha thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If it's in the blue boxes, knowing OCR it's bound to be a 6 marker. We're screwed.
    Predictions on 6 marker?

ReputationRep:
    Can I get some PogChamps in the tsr chat for another U grade student 4Head.
    bro this exam is me missin lethal at blizzcon. Feelsbadman

I just want a 30k car. .

ReputationRep:
    lol I got like 2/3 marks out of what was it 5? That Q is tough cause I think you also got to x2 the 0.25.

But it's a metal and should be added to RHS. I think cause it's a ion or something. I just took it away from both sides haha. **** this exam

ReputationRep:
    can someone please sort me out with the EEE 2015 paper and the mark scheme please

ReputationRep:

c is in the middle. cathode for left system and anode for right system. anode of left system is e. c>e. cathode for right system is d, d>c. therefore eo value: d>c>e, but it asks for more and less negative, so e>c>d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReTakingF324/5)
    lol I got like 2/3 marks out of what was it 5? That Q is tough cause I think you also got to x2 the 0.25.

But it's a metal and should be added to RHS. I think cause it's a ion or something. I just took it away from both sides haha. **** this exam
    I am retaking this exam too, what did you get last year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.