Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Appreciated. Thank you for being part of the STEP Prep thread. If you don't mind, what did you end up getting in STEP and how did things turn out for you? Got into your firm?
    Hi, I got a 3 in STEP 1 but my offers didn't rely on it. Hence, I didn't put as much work in as I should've and just did it for fun when I had spare time. I was planning to take a gap year before results came out, so I could complete my A2 further maths, STEP again and maybe Add further maths. I'm gonna apply for 'Physics and Maths' for 2017 entry. Thanks again, I really appreciate it and also thanks to you and others on this thread, I got full UMS in all my A2 maths modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    time to brag

114 in STEP 2
    101 in STEP 3
    Edgy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glavien)
    Hi, I got a 3 in STEP 1 but my offers didn't rely on it. Hence, I didn't put as much work in as I should've and just did it for fun when I had spare time. I was planning to take a gap year before results came out, so I could complete my A2 further maths, STEP again and maybe Add further maths. I'm gonna apply for 'Physics and Maths' for 2017 entry. Thanks again, I really appreciate it and also thanks to you and others on this thread, I got an A* and full UMS in all my A2 maths modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    be careful you don't cut yourself on it

(Original post by StrangeBanana)
    time to brag

114 in STEP 2
    101 in STEP 3
    114, neat, highest I've heard for STEP 2 so far

Please post your results here tho

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post67009870

Might help future offer holders

ReputationRep:
    So uni is approaching, what should I do to prepare? Read? More step?

ReputationRep:
    I was offered a place for deferred entry to Queens' College (October, 2017 entry). The requirement for STEP was: S, 1 in any order in STEP 2, and 3. But unfortunately, I ended up really bad - 2, and 1 in STEP 2, and 3 respectively! Could anyone tell me if there is any chance of my getting accepted? :/

[P.S.: I've got a bronze medal at IMO 2015, and got another this year (2016). Also, I have two APMO bronze medals]

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I got 1,1 in STEP II and III but only A*AA instead of A*A*A (messed up on FM) and it seems I have been pooled. Just my luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tridianprime)
    Hmmm... I got 1,1 in STEP II and III but only A*AA instead of A*A*A (messed up on FM) and it seems I have been pooled. Just my luck.
    Its trinity ikr.
    Dw all will be good.
    What raw marks were your II n III?
    Your chances in the pool are very very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Its trinity ikr.
    Dw all will be good.
    What raw marks were your II n III?
    Your chances in the pool are very very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Marks were 80 and 76 in 2/3 - given I basically panicked for half of each exam, I am absolutely shocked by those (11 marks higher than I was expecting in both) and was really expecting 2,2.

I hope so - I had to phone them up and they just said that there wasn't space. They seemed to be strongly implying I would get fished which I thought was a bit unfair in case I didn't but 'whatcha gonna do?'.

It's probably here somewhere, but how did it go for you? Did they let you in with 11?

ReputationRep:
    Marks were 80 and 76 in 2/3 - given I basically panicked for half of each exam, I am absolutely shocked by those (11 marks higher than I was expecting in both) and was really expecting 2,2.

I hope so - I had to phone them up and they just said that there wasn't space. They seemed to be strongly implying I would get fished which I thought was a bit unfair in case I didn't but 'whatcha gonna do?'.

It's probably here somewhere, but how did it go for you? Did they let you in with 11?
    I got 87 in II and 78 in III and got accepted.
    Yeh, so basically trinity have pooled people quite regularly with 1,1 last year and the year before and 1 guy with S,1 and nearly all get fished.
    Yeh trinity doesn't have space hence why they have to reject you if you dont meet it, it is just trinity as a whole the hardly ever accept anyone with a misssed offer especially for maths.
    If you get 1,1 you get flagged and are basically picked out for strength in some circulation of emails of some sort between DoS's etc so you will be fished most likely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, so basically trinity have pooled people quite regularly with 1,1 last year and the year before and 1 guy with S,1 and nearly all get fished.
    Yeh trinity doesn't have space hence why they have to reject you if you dont meet it, it is just trinity as a whole the hardly ever accept anyone with a misssed offer especially for maths.
    If you get 1,1 you get flagged and are basically picked out for strength in some circulation of emails of some sort between DoS's etc so you will be fished most likely!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done on getting in this time

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It makes sense.

It bugs me though because all this time the Trinity dons have been casually telling me how A Levels are meaningless to them and STEP is what counts and nothing more (except interview of course).

They must be rich enough to make one more space surely - maybe special consideration because I only got A in GCSE, so have a great value added? For some reason I doubt they will. :flute:

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense.

It bugs me though because all this time the Trinity dons have been casually telling me how A Levels are meaningless to them and STEP is what counts and nothing more (except interview of course).

They must be rich enough to make one more space surely - maybe special consideration because I only got A in GCSE, so have a great value added? For some reason I doubt they will. :flute:
    It is not that.
    It is just the fact they can't reject everyone who met their offer to make space .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Well done on getting in this time
    Cheers mate!
    Well done on your marks!
    Have fun at wozza!

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense.

To be fair to them this is quite possibly a case of distinction between dons and admissions tutors. The maths faculty very regularly say that and I don't think they're trying to mislead you when they do. However, there are a limited number of spaces - limited not just by their wealth but their amounts of accommodation and possibly quotas imposed by the college and (much less likely) the university or government. Unfortunately in this case I think Trinity have had a dearth of successful applicants and so you'll have been pooled instead.

For what it's worth I would be astounded if you are not pooled and fished out at another college with having met the STEP offer. As mentioned above, the college Directors of Studies do participate in the pool with supporting their stronger poolees and this should work in your favour.

If you do get pooled don't get hung up on Trinity either. You'll love whether you end up (or your money back ) and after their pooling of this years Senior Wrangler it's clear they're not infallible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    To be fair to them this is quite possibly a case of distinction between dons and admissions tutors. The maths faculty very regularly say that and I don't think they're trying to mislead you when they do. However, there are a limited number of spaces - limited not just by their wealth but their amounts of accommodation and possibly quotas imposed by the college and (much less likely) the university or government. Unfortunately in this case I think Trinity have had a dearth of successful applicants and so you'll have been pooled instead.

For what it's worth I would be astounded if you are not pooled and fished out at another college with having met the STEP offer. As mentioned above, the college Directors of Studies do participate in the pool with supporting their stronger poolees and this should work in your favour.

If you do get pooled don't get hung up on Trinity either. You'll love whether you end up (or your money back ) and after their pooling of this years Senior Wrangler it's clear they're not infallible.
    No, you are of course right - I was just being light hearted. I'm not too bothered where I go - a big reason for picking Trinity was the breakfast seemed good so I'm not too fussy.

ReputationRep:
    I got 1,1,1 for STEP

STEP 1 : 1 (93)
    STEP 2: 1 (81)
    STEP 3: 1 (65)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Insight314? He is normally so loquacious; I am starting to feel a little worried about him...

(Original post by gsckmom)
    Anyone heard from Insight314? He is normally so loquacious; I am starting to feel a little worried about him...
    Me too... he said he missed his STEP offer, then hasn't posted since...

Quick boiz lets spam tags at him

Insight314

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.