Anon1993
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
0th week starts on Sunday so there'll be freshers events from then onwards. If you need to move in at weekend, ask the college if you can move in early. If they don't let you, pack a single suitcase or holdall to get you through freshers week and have your parents bring everything else up in time for the start of term.
I may have to do that! Thanks!
Anon1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by soutioirsim)
I haven't bought anything yet! Every seems to be going uni shopping all the time now :p:
Same! Im a last minute kind of person :') plus, I have no idea what to take!!
billieerin23
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does Freshers week continue into the following weekend or is it Monday to Friday because my Official College things (with registration times etc.) only had stuff scheduled Monday to Friday?
Festina lente
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anon1993)
*EDIT* . .AND YOU GOT WORK DURING FRESHERS?!?!?!?! what course/college are you at? is this normal for oxford
Er, yes. Yes it is
leahbroad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*EDIT* . .AND YOU GOT WORK DURING FRESHERS?!?!?!?! what course/college are you at? is this normal for oxford
Yup this is perfectly normal :P but it'll only be one essay/problem sheet depending on what subject you do, nothing terrible
refref
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't get much work during freshers, it will depend on your college/course/tutors.
Anon1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Festina lente)
Er, yes. Yes it is
So from the sounds of it, it's not even a full freshers week and it includes work!
I'm clinging on the idea that it has to still be a good few days, or surely oxford students would have complained about it
Poppyxx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, i emailed about a week ago but haven't heard back :/ and ahh, i was wondering about the different start dates - i didn't realise freshers would be so college orientated! Thanks for the info though
and wait. .so my freshers week isn't even a whole week? D:

PPE.

But it's normal.

So make sure you listen in those library inductions - you'll need them sooner than you'll think!

(Original post by billieerin23)
Does Freshers week continue into the following weekend or is it Monday to Friday because my Official College things (with registration times etc.) only had stuff scheduled Monday to Friday?
I haven't seen any planned events on the Saturday night - not by Varsity Events who organise most - although that may have changed since I saw the timetable.

But I think clubs will just have their normal nights on.

However, you will be SHATTERED by the weekend. I remember watching X Factor and going to a drinks thing hosted by the college boat club on the Saturday night, then falling asleep pretty early.

As for during the day - we had a rowing taster session on Saturday, and just a JCR welfare brunch on Sunday. So it'll be whatever your college has organised.

For everyone: There is no 'easing' into term at Oxford. Week 1 starts on Sunday, and it will be a full week of lectures and tutorials. 8 weeks is not a long time, so it's 'go go go' from the start.

We (as a JCR committee) recommend freshers have at least one night in during Freshers week - going out every night is fine, until tiredness and freshers flu hits you along with your essays and problem sets in Week One. In fact the higher beings at our college say we can only organise 3 nights out - but that doesn't include bops (so we can actually have 5 nights of 'going out', bit silly). Can't remember if the 3 nights is just Mon-Fri or includes the weekend.

ANYWAY your tutors will not care that you went and got totally gazeboed every night in Freshers - they expect full brainpower in Week One (although they will/should understand you need a bit of time to get used to how Oxford works).
Festina lente
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So from the sounds of it, it's not even a full freshers week and it includes work!
I'm clinging on the idea that it has to still be a good few days, or surely oxford students would have complained about it
Haha yes definitely! Quality not quantity

Also, what Poppyxx said.
Incarnadine91
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yup, completely normal. You will have a meeting with your tutors on (usually) the thursday of Freshers' and they will set you work. I was lucky in that my first essay was due in the following friday, so I had a week to get my act together, but it's entirely possible that you'll only have a few days. Get used to it - once you're into Oxford, it's pedal to the metal for all 8 weeks. Because that's how we roll :cool:

(Original post by billieerin23)
Due to the above problem with work, things usually come to a halt on the weekend. Term starts on sunday after all, and most people realise that saturday is better spent recovering. Poppyxx's advice is good - don't go out every night, seriously! By all means enjoy yourself, but don't take it to excess. The stuff put on by the JCR for non-clubbers is likely as good if not better than getting yourself mashed and then struggling with your first bits of work.
billieerin23
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Incarnadine91)
Yup, completely normal. You will have a meeting with your tutors on (usually) the thursday of Freshers' and they will set you work. I was lucky in that my first essay was due in the following friday, so I had a week to get my act together, but it's entirely possible that you'll only have a few days. Get used to it - once you're into Oxford, it's pedal to the metal for all 8 weeks. Because that's how we roll :cool:

Due to the above problem with work, things usually come to a halt on the weekend. Term starts on sunday after all, and most people realise that saturday is better spent recovering. Poppyxx's advice is good - don't go out every night, seriously! By all means enjoy yourself, but don't take it to excess. The stuff put on by the JCR for non-clubbers is likely as good if not better than getting yourself mashed and then struggling with your first bits of work.
Thanks to both of you for the replies I will make sure to spend one night in (although I don't drink so clubbing usually leaves me a little better off than it leaves my friends but I'll probably still be exhausted)
barefootfiona
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leahbroad)
x
Hiya, sorry to call you back here, but I was just wondering if you have any advice about minifridges? Like... how small is too small, or if you can buy them second-hand somewhere at Oxford from a student who doesn't need their's anymore?
dbmag9
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by barefootfiona)
Hiya, sorry to call you back here, but I was just wondering if you have any advice about minifridges? Like... how small is too small, or if you can buy them second-hand somewhere at Oxford from a student who doesn't need their's anymore?
*wants to know this too*

Also I made a mini-fridge review thread for anyone with mini-fridge experiences to share their wisdom.
barefootfiona
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dbmag9)
*wants to know this too*

Also I made a mini-fridge review thread for anyone with mini-fridge experiences to share their wisdom.
I've been researching like crazy but the best thing I've found is a 20-litre one on Argos for £46.66.

Ebay sometimes has them cheaper but I'm not sure I want to buy a second-hand fridge, especially since the saving is usually only £5 to £10 and you have to drive to pick it up.

Curry's doesn't have them as far as I can tell, and all the dedicated minifridge websites are nearing £100.
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by barefootfiona)
I've been researching like crazy but the best thing I've found is a 20-litre one on Argos for £46.66.

Ebay sometimes has them cheaper but I'm not sure I want to buy a second-hand fridge, especially since the saving is usually only £5 to £10 and you have to drive to pick it up.

Curry's doesn't have them as far as I can tell, and all the dedicated minifridge websites are nearing £100.
I haven't yet looked very systematically, but I've seen some on the Currys website (they tend to be around the £100 mark). My worry is that I'll get something and then realise it will only just about hold six cans of Coke (although as long as there's space for gin, a bottle of tonic and a lime I'm reasonably happy). There also seem to be issues with drinks-specific fridges not technically being appropriate for food refridgeration.
soutioirsim
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everyone's obsessed with mini-fridges!!!
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everyone's obsessed with mini-fridges!!!
They're fridges, yet they're small! They run on sparks of electricity, yet they are cold inside! You can't explain that, as Bill O'Reilly would say.
soutioirsim
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They're fridges, yet they're small! They run on sparks of electricity, yet they are cold inside! You can't explain that, as Bill O'Reilly would say.
Hahaha! :p: I get so fustrated watching him in youtube videos... :facepalm:

By the way, well done on the epicness which is your 45! :eek3:
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
By the way, well done on the epicness which is your 45! :eek3:
Thanks, I was pretty chuffed at the time. It's mostly luck, though.
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Or as Reeves & Mortimer used to say: 'How does it work, Vic?' 'I dunno, Bob..but it does'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads