Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bubble999)
    Midnight scared the **** outta me. Still can't really watch it
    Oh yeah, definitely one of the scarier eps. Love it though, just such a clever premise.

Remember finding The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit terrifying, not sure about any others :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    With the double parters I'm better if I see both parts at once...if not the waiting kills me. I think the worst thing about Midnight and Waters of Mars is the Doctor now knowing that the things are and how to stop them. Urgh just imagining the faces of the monsters on Mars is making me scared to sleep now.
    Midnight is so good because it is so unusual and you didn't have a clue what was going on for any minute of it and for the first time ever(I might be wrong but its a point of interpretation) The Doctor is the idiot of the story who gets himself in far too deeply and needs to be saved.I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen when they were going to throw the Doctor out and thought it would be a 2 parter-just because something is advertised as one parter doesn't mean it is eg.Utopia that's what made that episode so shocking.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Oh yeah, definitely one of the scarier eps. Love it though, just such a clever premise.

Remember finding The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit terrifying, not sure about any others :lol:
    Oh that was horrific as well. But defs not the most horrific. I miss the old scary episodes.

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    Midnight is so good because it is so unusual and you didn't have a clue what was going on for any minute of it and for the first time ever(I might be wrong but its a point of interpretation) The Doctor is the idiot of the story who gets himself in far too deeply and needs to be saved.I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen when they were going to throw the Doctor out and thought it would be a 2 parter-just because something is advertised as one parter doesn't mean it is eg.Utopia that's what made that episode so shocking.
    I don't think he's the idiot, I think he's just the one trying to help. Also scary as showing humans are super dangerous.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad

It's so weirdly simple yet clever.

Oh yeah, they were also terrifying - but since I have watched them a lot, I don't find them too bad anymore. Maybe I need to grow a pair and face Midnight, and watch it :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly didn't care much for Midnight, to me it seemed like low-budget filler. It was a cool idea but I can't say it evoked any fear in me (unlike the Waters of Mars which was just awesome. Definitely in my top 3 episodes). Each to their own I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely adored Blink. I kind of felt like Moffatt got a little carried away with how great the angels were though because I felt that they got worse with each episode focusing on them *shudders* Manhattan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
    I absolutely adored Blink. I kind of felt like Moffatt got a little carried away with how great the angels were though because I felt that they got worse with each episode focusing on them *shudders* Manhattan...
    This. So very very much this.

I adored Manhattan :sad: It was the angels two-parter that I hated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Manhattan was terrible, but the two-part story in series 5 was brilliant:yep: The Time of Angels, Flesh & Stone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's so weirdly simple yet clever.

Oh yeah, they were also terrifying - but since I have watched them a lot, I don't find them too bad anymore. Maybe I need to grow a pair and face Midnight, and watch it :afraid:
    Exactly

I've not seen them since they were first aired, pretty much the only eps I've not rewatched. You should watch Midnight again though, so awesome.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Manhattan was terrible, but the two-part story in series 5 was brilliant:yep: The Time of Angels, Flesh & Stone.
    Aww I quite liked it. But series 5 ones were definitely better :yep:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Exactly

I've not seen them since they were first aired, pretty much the only eps I've not rewatched. You should watch Midnight again though, so awesome.
    Aww you should, they're great. Woo for series 2!
    Hmm, maybe I'll have to watch Midnight with you. I can only be hardcore 98% of the time :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I adored Manhattan :sad: It was the angels two-parter that I hated.
    But... the statue of liberty... I mean... how does that move anywhere without being seen? That and the fact that its entire purpose would have been served perfectly by a regular sized angel standing on the roof. That kind of cheap spectacle for the sake of a spectacle just annoys me. Moffatt often has great ideas that work in small, personal stories, the problem is when he decides to put all of reality at stake or invent cyber-daleks the size of a moon. When things get bigger and bigger for no reason, the story suffers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Aww I quite liked it. But series 5 ones were definitely better :yep:
    Hoea lifen?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    But... the statue of liberty... I mean... how does that move anywhere without being seen? That and the fact that its entire purpose would have been served perfectly by a regular sized angel standing on the roof. That kind of cheap spectacle for the sake of a spectacle just annoys me. Moffatt often has great ideas that work in small, personal stories, the problem is when he decides to put all of reality at stake or invent cyber-daleks the size of a moon. When things get bigger and bigger for no reason, the story suffers.
    I agree, this is what has made the show seem poor over the last series, the writing has become far too ambitious and overcomplicated.
    I hope series 8 is given similar treatment as series 5 or the earlier series.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, this is what has made the show seem poor over the last series, the writing has become far too ambitious and overcomplicated.
    I hope series 8 is given similar treatment as series 5 or the earlier series.
    Well Capaldi is a pretty respected screenwriter and he's apparently put his foot down about a few things already so hopefully it'll stay nice and grounded.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Aww you should, they're great. Woo for series 2!
    Hmm, maybe I'll have to watch Midnight with you. I can only be hardcore 98% of the time :mmm:
    Nooo, I'm not rewatching it :afraid:

Dat 2% :mmm:

Hoea lifen?
    PRSOM :moon:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Political Ambassador

PRSOM :moon:
    :ahee:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Hoea lifen?
    Oi, imma get my axe

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad

N'aww, bless :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.