Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadyhades)
    Very curious here, just how on earth did you manage to jump from a C in Eng Lit in GCSE's to a 100% in AS!!!! That's awesome!
    Basically at GCSE I got A* in coursework, then A, B and U in the exams (each weighting was 25%) - had a complete disaster in the U exam. In class, we did spend a lot of time revising for the Language exam as opposed to the Literature ones, although I think my downfall was exam technique due to lack of practice with timed essays - something I tried to do a lot for in revision for AS. I also found Frankenstein much more engaging than the GCSE texts, which helped.
    I can't really think of a reason as to why I did so much better, though. I think the AS was vastly different to the GCSE (which was essentially doing language analysis of a short extract). Sorry, I don't really have an excuse to be honest
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeignStudent32)
    Princepieman, did you receive an acknowledgement email from the uni yet?
    Yeah, I recieved it 9 days ago, sent my application in on the 16th of September. It'll be much sooner for pepple who've applied recently.

ReputationRep:
    I've also received confirmation email form Oxford saying that they will inform me of allocated college in the week ending 23 October.
    And also got an email from another university, so I guess everyone should've received an email until this point. Or look at spam/junk, maybe it's there... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mufc98)
    Hi Guys I was just wondering what you think my chances of getting accepted to Bolton University as I missed the Oxford deadline, are (be as harsh/critical as possible)
    I am going to be applying for economics with predicted grades A*AA (A* in maths, As in physics/ economics), although i think i am capable of getting an A* in economics aswell.
    AS results
    Maths A
    C1 87/100
    C2 86/100
    M1 62/100
    Economics A
    Unit 1; 77/100
    Unit 2 84/100
    Physics B
    Unit 1: 84/120
    Unit 2: 86/120
    Unit 3 (Coursework): 48/60
    Further Maths B
    S1 84/100
    D1; 72/100
    FP1: 66/100

GCSE: 8A*2A

Bolton is my first choice as well, Oxford was just a back up

PLEASE HELP
    Bolton? This is the Oxford thread.

ReputationRep:
    I got two acknowledgement emails exactly the same, except the second said that it contained the correct information and the previous one did not. ?? strange. Anyway - I applied to Brasenose for Biochemistry I have a medical note which my referee (stupidly) did not mention in my reference. So they have no idea I have a medical note and no idea of the exact conditions of my note, because he mentioned it so vaguely. What should I do? Maybe email admissions about it? I'm kind of worried I won't get an interview because there's no proof of my condition. I'm sure they'd email me asking for proof/a medical note if they required one, but what if they don't and assume I haven't got one? There's no extenuating circumstances form to accompany my application either. Agh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCalver)
    Bolton? This is the Oxford thread.
    Tis a troll bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    I got two acknowledgement emails exactly the same, except the second said that it contained the correct information and the previous one did not. ?? strange. Anyway - I applied to Brasenose for Biochemistry I have a medical note which my referee (stupidly) did not mention in my reference. So they have no idea I have a medical note and no idea of the exact conditions of my note, because he mentioned it so vaguely. What should I do? Maybe email admissions about it? I'm kind of worried I won't get an interview because there's no proof of my condition. I'm sure they'd email me asking for proof/a medical note if they required one, but what if they don't and assume I haven't got one? There's no extenuating circumstances form to accompany my application either. Agh.
    Get your referee to email them about the note, and maybe get them to elaborate a bit more about the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Get your referee to email them about the note, and maybe get them to elaborate a bit more about the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh! Thank you. I'll be sure to do this. By the way - how's it going? Any offers yet or good signs?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Thank you. I'll be sure to do this. By the way - how's it going? Any offers yet or good signs?
    Still waiting, unfortunately. My application at Warwick was put on hold to allow time for a second reference from my old school; I believe it becomes active again today - here's hoping I get an offer soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennieRDS)
    I actually didn't do any National 5s as I did my Highers over two years. I regret missing out on some of the subjects that I could have done at Nat 5 but it meant that I got to do an additional Higher within timetable. Advanced Higher shouldn't be too bad. I don't think they've changed them as much as they did with the Highers.

I am applying to Glasgow but it is my 5th choice. I'm not too keen on staying here. Loved the look of St Andrews though! But I hear that their medicine course isn't for some, as you have to move elsewhere for your final 3 years of clinical. Where else have you applied? Stuck to Scottish unis mostly or applied to a few other English ones?
    Sounds like Hutchie
    And yeah I don't think the Advanced stuff is too different, especially given that my maths teacher is essentially teaching us with the old course textbooks but with some handwritten notes on the new parts. Although I've been looking at GCSE stuff for BMAT and I've found some stuff that's taught in Advanced Higher, like mechanisms in chemistry and moments in physics

I've got Edinburgh, Glasgow, Imperial and Oxford down as my medical schools and Imperial biochemistry as well, you can probably tell I'd rather go down to England even if it's not free.
    Where else did you apply then?

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting, unfortunately. My application at Warwick was put on hold to allow time for a second reference from my old school; I believe it becomes active again today - here's hoping I get an offer soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahh hopefully! wish I could travel forward to 9 months time when life is all sorted and exams are finally over aha
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    ahh hopefully! wish I could travel forward to 9 months time when life is all sorted and exams are finally over aha
    You and me both hahahaa. I'm basically going to become a hermit this year lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You and me both hahahaa. I'm basically going to become a hermit this year lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep! same. Don't burn out though. There comes a point where you have so much to do that doing absolutely nothing seems like the only viable option aha.
    Good luck though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    yep! same. Don't burn out though. There comes a point where you have so much to do that doing absolutely nothing seems like the only viable option aha.
    Good luck though
    Hahahaha, I know what you mean! I counteract it with liberal breaks and going to the gym. I think, so long as I still get my work done, how many breaks I take is irrelevant.

Thanks, you too! Keep me posted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a question. Does the Oxford college fees cover food and accommodation? Or do we have pay for both of those separately on top of the tuition fees and college fees? Thank you for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomharris15)
    Hi, I have a question. Does the Oxford college fees cover food and accommodation? Or do we have pay for both of those separately on top of the tuition fees and college fees? Thank you for any replies.
    You pay for food and accomodation seperately, but they're both subsidized and thus cheaper than living on your own. You can go onto colleges' websites to find out their exact fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomharris15)
    Assuming you're international? International students have to pay tuition fees, college fees, and accommodation/food. So in other words, no it doesn't include it.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Please could you ask your referee to email us with an updated reference and/or your medical note - details are in the email acknowledgement.

We have only sent one acknowledgement to candidates and so your double messages baffle us. Sometimes candidates set up multiple contact emails with forwarding mechanisms but the message should be the same. If you could forward the 2nd one to us, we'd be grateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanieleZ)
    You pay for food and accomodation seperately, but they're both subsidized and thus cheaper than living on your own. You can go onto colleges' websites to find out their exact fees.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    Assuming you're international? International students have to pay tuition fees, college fees, and accommodation/food. So in other words, no it doesn't include it.
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.