This discussion is part of a series.
view next
Vae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bammy jastard 27)
Yeah, he's not been too great this calendar year, Messi will probably take the throne back again.

I guess it was nice to break the Messi dominance for a year. I think Ronaldo's comments to blatter probably helped him win the balon d'or tbh. It gave him more publicity, add to that his performance against sweden around the same time and a good run of form while Messi then gets injured et voila. Very smart from him tbh.

Hopefully it gives him some more confidence to actually run the real Messi for the award this year, otherwise it'll just be a mismatch like it was last year.
If Messi gets back to 100% fitness, it would take CR a lot to beat him, number-wise, aesthetics-wise, reception-wise and title-wise - perhaps winning la decima, winning or getting very far in the world cup etc could do the trick, but that doesn't seem very likely.
Spoiler:
Show
Additionally, if Argentina beats Brazil, Germany and Spain to the world cup trophy, that's Messi's legend status set and the "who is the best player ever" question answered for many, including "experts", which probably would put most of the Messi or CR7 debates to an end.

No doubt CR's comments about Blatter and the media campaign that followed made the difference, many who don't know how the BD works think Messi only won so often because Blatter decides the winner anyway, so Blatter's and CR's comments gave those theories a fertile ground. The Sweden hat trick, reopening the voting half an hour after the game (lol) and some voters being bored with seeing Messi win anyway did the rest.

One thing CR could work on this year is adding more dimensions to his team play in the final third, e.g. passing not shooting when in doubt. His conversion rate is quite bad compared to other top strikers/forwards:
CR: 14.47%
RVP: 18.44%
Kießling: 20.66%
Lewandowski: 24.49%
Messi: 33.82%

In the final third, CR takes more or less every opportunity to shoot and hopes it turns into a goal. He's a good dribbler, so he has the means to improve that, but ideally he would make use of his team mates more, that would improve his assists numbers, destroy his selfish image and make RM more multi-dimensional.
bj27
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by qua)
If Messi gets back to 100% fitness, it would take CR a lot to beat him, number-wise, aesthetics-wise, reception-wise and title-wise - perhaps winning la decima, winning or getting very far in the world cup etc could do the trick, but that doesn't seem very likely.
Spoiler:
Show
Additionally, if Argentina beats Brazil, Germany and Spain to the world cup trophy, that's Messi's legend status set and the "who is the best player ever" question answered for many, including "experts", which probably would put most of the Messi or CR7 debates to an end.

Agree with the rest.

Also, the debate as to who was better should have ended last year when Messi broke the record for goals in a calendar year.

Balon d'or lost credibility when Ribery was considered a contender for the award, because the other two win it all the time :rolleyes:
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Agree with the rest.

Also, the debate as to who was better should have ended last year when Messi broke the record for goals in a calendar year.

Balon d'or lost credibility when Ribery was considered a contender for the award, because the other two win it all the time :rolleyes:

tbf since 2009 it has always been clear who is the better player of the two, but there's still that illusion of an eye-to-eye rivalry in the general public, which a world cup would put to rest once and for all.

Btw, some papers reporting Ribery finished second above Messi. Can't wait for the Bayern outcry.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apparently the barcastuff Twitter account was suggesting Xavi might be on his way to America in the summer with the New York Red Bulls?

Xavi to NYRD? Moyes - get on the buzzer! lol. I'd take him. He's 33 but still in good nick, would be amazing to have but think he'll retire after the WC and maybe still stay on at Barca but accept a lesser role because he's been there all his career.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's been slot of noise about it and apparently Henry's been in touch to try and convince him. He's got a contract at Barca till 2016 iirc so I want to dismiss it but these MLS rumours are usually accurate :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That rumour originated from Xavi himself, when he said that he would want to retire at Barça, but "it's difficult". Then that bit about Henry trying to convince him emerged et voilà.

Still, Xavi has always said he'd leave if he feel he's hindering the club rather than helping it. This season he's just not doing it anymore as well as he used to - he needs to be rested every other game, doesn't link up too well with the newer players like Cesc and Neymar, has physical limitations etc - so this time might have come. He's still hugely important though and Martino trusts him.

Don't get your hopes up about him joining United. If he will leave Barcelona, it won't be to a big club but somewhere where we can end his career with less pressure and playing time.
Icecream1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by qua)
That rumour originated from Xavi himself, when he said that he would want to retire at Barça, but "it's difficult". Then that bit about Henry trying to convince him emerged et voilà.

Still, Xavi has always said he'd leave if he feel he's hindering the club rather than helping it. This season he's just not doing it anymore as well as he used to - he needs to be rested every other game, doesn't link up too well with the newer players like Cesc and Neymar, has physical limitations etc - so this time might have come. He's still hugely important though and Martino trusts him.

Don't get your hopes up about him joining United. If he will leave Barcelona, it won't be to a big club but somewhere where we can end his career with less pressure and playing time.
I think he will stay and be a "one club" man.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by qua)
That doesn't matter to Moyes - he loves a futile chase as shown with the Fabregas saga! Flogging and dead horses come to mind.

I could forsee Xavi leaving and Iniesta staying forever as latter has signed a new deal. America would be a good option for him, perfect in fact with Henry or maybe Beckham could persuade him to join his new team whenever that gets set up. I read City were trying to lure him for their American team.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know he might not have the intensity to play at a high level but it seems a shame Xavi's last days will be in America, if you believe this source.
Icecream1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
I know he might not have the intensity to play at a high level but it seems a shame Xavi's last days will be in America, if you believe this source.
Looks like Xavi is going to the MLS after the World Cup , I thought he would be a one club man.

I think Barca are sounding out Gundogan for a summer move.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Icecream1)
Looks like Xavi is going to the MLS after the World Cup , I thought he would be a one club man.

I think Barca are sounding out Gundogan for a summer move.
Cripes Gundogan? :coma:
bj27
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
Cripes Gundogan? :coma:
Gundogan would be a pretty good rotation/bench option tbf.

He wouldn't get in the team over Fabregas.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Christ the possibilities are endless would love to see a double pivot of him and Busquets. Then Fabregas as the more attacking of the 3 central mids.
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Gündogan will be rotated with Sergi Roberto.

Neymar - Messi - Deulofeu
Iniesta/Fabregas - Gündogan/Sergi
Busquets

Alternatively:

Neymar - Messi
Fabregas
Iniesta - Gündogan/Sergi
Busquets

Or:

Messi
Neymar Fabregas/Iniesta Deulofeu
Busquets Gündogan

That has potential for 2-3 years, which will be the time Sergi Samper breaks into the first team and can replace Xavi long-term.

Xavi and Gündogan rumours heating up, would be gutted about Xavi but happy about Günni.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jason puncheon been giving penalty lessons to perbet.

Now Juan Carlos's lost his head. Should have been sent off tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Messi makes it 0-1 against Getafe

Neymar injured.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by qua)

Neymar injured.
Looks bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Golazo by Messi there 0-2
little_tom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The king
Icecream1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Congratulations to Xavi- 700 games for Barca. He should stay at Barca

Tata said Neymar's injury wasn't as bad as it looked and they think he will be out for 3 weeks.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise