Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    He won't win a slam again. All four slams are either slow or medium. These days he can only win on fast courts like I said in my previous post as he has the power of a baby on his ground strokes.
    still counting on wimbledon...he'll get there this year. Heres hoping.

ReputationRep:
    Federer's too slow nowadays and it shows on clay in particular - he doesn't run round fast enough to set up his shots and add the power to the ball. If you see his matches in 2005/6/7 on clay, you'll see a huge difference in speed.
    Nadal has also lost foot speed, but not to the same extent seeing as he's five years younger. I do expect Djokovic to win if they meet.

And Stan was dreadful against Dimitrov - 4 winners, 41 unforced errors.

ReputationRep:
    Been waiting for a rant about "clown players" - I'm sure it's been at least 2 months since the last one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Federer's too slow nowadays and it shows on clay in particular - he doesn't run round fast enough to set up his shots and add the power to the ball. If you see his matches in 2005/6/7 on clay, you'll see a huge difference in speed.
    Nadal has also lost foot speed, but not to the same extent seeing as he's five years younger. I do expect Djokovic to win if they meet.

And Stan was dreadful against Dimitrov - 4 winners, 41 unforced errors.
    Yep, I would agree about Federer - his footwork round the inside out forehand back then was viper like. When you're younger it's easier to be that aggressive with your footwork because reactions are quicker, whereas Federer has definitely lost a step. Rafa has been slightly impacted by the ravages of age on his physicality, but not at the same level of degradation I'd say. What will work well for Djokovic as he gets older is the economy of his movement, and his ability to redirect the ball so well, allowing him to end points more quickly. Whether he'll still have the phenomenal elasticity on the backhand side he has now will be interesting to see.

That's appalling from Stan, on the same level as his tank at the French Open last year.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal registers his first Top 10 win since last year's French Open as he heads into a semifinal with Djokovic

ReputationRep:
    Nadal's odds are 2/1 to win the match. First time he hasn't been favourite to win a match on clay in 10 years apparently.

Haven't really been able to watch Monte Carlo this week so dunno how either of them have been doing but I think he's got a chance and the bookies might regret this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Man, if Rafa could win this match ... the adrenaline shot to his season would be phenomenal.

ReputationRep:
    Novak wins 6-3 6-3!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great performance by both Rafa and Novak shows how much tennis has missed their rivalry! I hope Novak hasn't peaked too early though, no point beating Rafa now just to lose yet again at RG, needs to keep his eyes on the ultimate prize!

ReputationRep:
    In this moment I think Djokovic is the best player in the world on ANY surface in best of five sets. I would favour him to beat Nadal at the French Open and Roger at Wimbledon if those matches were played right now.

ReputationRep:
    It honestly wouldn't shock me if Djokovic hands out yet another bagel to Berdych tomorrow, the real test was Rafa so unless Berdych plays the match of his life and Djokovic doesn't turn up things could get very ugly very quickly for Berdych

ReputationRep:
    Shame I missed it but sounds like my man put up a good fight, which is encouraging to hear. Will catch the highlights later.

Unfortunately, the final is going to be an embarrassment. No matter how well Berdych is playing right now he'll be lucky to win 4 games against Djokovic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    In this moment I think Djokovic is the best player in the world on ANY surface in best of five sets. I would favour him to beat Nadal at the French Open and Roger at Wimbledon if those matches were played right now.
    Murray would stand a chance against Novak in grass imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonborn10)
    Murray would stand a chance against Novak in grass imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone's got a chance technically but I think right now Djokovic has a greater than 50% chance of beating anyone on any surface, including Murray on grass. Especially with the way their recent matchups with each other have went, I would make Djokovic the comfortable favourite on any surface personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    Everyone's got a chance technically but I think right now Djokovic has a greater than 50% chance of beating anyone on any surface, including Murray on grass. Especially with the way their recent matchups with each other have went, I would make Djokovic the comfortable favourite on any surface personally.
    I get where you are coming from and I agree but I think Murray will have a great chance to win a big4 player after the 2013 final, if they meet on grass. It's Murray's best surface and imo barring any "slip-ups" he'll be the favourite to win Wimbledon this year! (along with Novak)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Confidence-boosting win for Novak, he is riding a great winning streak here. Since the back end of last year, he's won Paris, the WTF, the Australian Open, Indian Wells, Miami and is now on the verge of winning Monte Carlo!
    Nadal was great in the first few games of the first set but then allowed himself to get dominated in the second half of the match. He was too far back, so much so that I couldn't see him on the TV screen at times and played quite a few short balls into the strike zone of the Serb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonborn10)
    I get where you are coming from and I agree but I think Murray will have a great chance to win a big4 player after the 2013 final, if they meet on grass. It's Murray's best surface and imo barring any "slip-ups" he'll be the favourite to win Wimbledon this year! (along with Novak)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think for Wimbledon it'll be difficult to pick a clear favourite as such - no man has defended his title since 2007, so there is always a lot of pressure on the defending champ.

I really feel that all of the Top 4 have a decent shot, including Nadal, who is entering 2 grass court warm-up tournaments prior to the tournament

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Shame I missed it but sounds like my man put up a good fight, which is encouraging to hear. Will catch the highlights later.

Unfortunately, the final is going to be an embarrassment. No matter how well Berdych is playing right now he'll be lucky to win 4 games against Djokovic.
    Yes, he played very well at the start certainly, but I thought there were still too many short balls into Novak's strike zone. That said, at the French Open Nadal magically finds his depth/range so I don't read too much into this. It feels almost inevitable that these guys will meet at the French, so it will all come down to perfect execution on the day.

Regarding the final, I really hope it isn't that one-sided. Berdych has beaten Novak on clay before (Rome 2013)

ReputationRep:
    Good call by me, it was actually a close 3-set affair. Djokovic's level wasn't that great today but it was enough to get the job done. He's now won every big event since November 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Good call by me, it was actually a close 3-set affair. Djokovic's level wasn't that great today but it was enough to get the job done. He's now won every big event since November 2014.
    He's definitely on a roll but the most important thing is that he's managing to win even when far from his best, that's got to be great for his confidence. Nadal is also coming back to his best so I expect him to be more than ready to defend his titles in Madrid and RG as well as challenging in Rome.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.