Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Guys my UKCAT is in 3 days and I just did the Medify mock 2.
    My scores were :
    VR 670
    QR 630
    AR 730
    SJT Band 2

>Is this any good and how do the medify mocks compare to the real thing? Also, Im finding the medify AR questions much easier than the ones in 1000 questions-- Is this just me??
    Finally does anyone have any good tips about the Ukcat.....Im scared AF

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know a good personal statement website which is cheap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebro16)
    Guys my UKCAT is in 3 days and I just did the Medify mock 2.
    My scores were :
    VR 670
    QR 630
    AR 730
    SJT Band 2

>Is this any good and how do the medify mocks compare to the real thing? Also, Im finding the medify AR questions much easier than the ones in 1000 questions-- Is this just me??
    Finally does anyone have any good tips about the Ukcat.....Im scared AF
    Those scores are really good! Medify is meant to be as a whole, easier than the 1000q book according to a lot of people. From what I've seen on this thread people seem to get 100 ish higher in the real thing than what they got in their mocks but obviously that doesn't happen to everyone nor will it necessarily happen it's just a pattern I've been seeing every now and again you're doing really well just stay calm for the next few days and you'll do amazing I'm sure ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    I wouldn't recommend pushing your date back any further. Keep it as it is, so you know exactly what deadline you're trying to target at (plus, worrying about the UKCAT will start to put you off your A2 which are also very important!).

The 1000Q book is indeed harder but with more practice you'll soon get the hang of it. Most people tend to do better on the actual day than in practice but there are also people who end up getting a mean section and consequently suffer from a lower than expected average. You just need to keep on practicing. Practice literally does make perfect with the UKCAT, especially with AR.

In regards to you being away for so long: Is there no way that you could take some UKCAT work with you (or a laptop) so you can have time to practice too? I'm just thinking that maybe part of the reason you are scoring 60% might be due to you being too tired when practicing at 9pm! It's much better to practice with a clear mind than to do it absolutely exhausted. When I did multiple mock exams in a day, my score tended to start high and then plummet as I got more tired throughout the day.
    Fortunately for me I don't have an "A2" as I am in Scotland - all exams done now for this year!

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate your tips, I will take this on board. I think tiredness definitely can be a big reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    680 should be more than good enough for Kings, not sure about Edinburgh though. Btw Kings don't actually have a strict threshold, it's more of a guide. My friends score was below last year's "threshold" for Kings but still got an interview
    Oh okay that's good news then, will have to research more about Edinburgh hmmm. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What unis can I get into with an average of 650? As I am aware that isn't great! Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want the UKCAT isc 600 book? I've already done the UKCAT so dont need it anymore. (only need to pay postage)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Mmm, the main problem i have with the UKCAT is how much it is down to luck. Of course, you can prepare for hours and this will certainly help. But, if you get really unlucky with the questions none of that will matter. You could get a load of easy verbal reasoning questions or a load of harder verbal reasoning questions. You could get a load of simple patterns or you could get 10 impossible to solve patterns. What they should really do is standardise the test so everyone sits the same paper (Although not the same ).

For example, they should produce 4 different papers. There are 4 dates in the summer when you can take the ukcat at their centres (With each day having a different paper). Once all the results are in, they compare what people got on each of the papers and therefore weight them (Similar to UMS). Then we get our grades in around late september. It stops this random RNG as everyone is in the same boat, and even if a paper is harder it is weighted so you will be rewarded for the difficulty.
    This is exactly why I prefer the BMAT, just one standardised test on which to base every applicant's ability. At the moment, some unis have started to switch over to the BMAT as an entrance exam (Lancaster being the new addition this year). I do believe in a good ten years or so, the BMAT will become more popular among unis than the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    realistically, what UKCAT score do you need for Edinburgh and Kings (to be competitive?) Love both those unis and hoping will do well in UKCAT but worried I will get like 650-700 not sure if that is high enough
    Edinburgh: 720-730

Kings: 690+ (usually)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Edinburgh: 720-730

Kings: 690+ (usually)
    Wow that is mad for Edinburgh and thanks

ReputationRep:
    QR help please

1) The explanation is area LW - (L-2)(W-2)=40
    2W+2L=44
    I'm not sure how they got (L-2)(W-2) etc.

2) Why is it 22 + 40 + 28 (where does 28 come from?)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osayukiigbinoba)
    QR help please

1) The explanation is area LW - (L-2)(W-2)=40
    2W+2L=44
    I'm not sure how they got (L-2)(W-2) etc.

2) Why is it 22 + 40 + 28 (where does 28 come from?)
    There are 1cm at each side so you need to minus 2 from the length and 2 from the width

28 comes from the direct journey back (if you read the table Reading -> Guildford is 28...)

Let me know if you don't understand and I will annotate the table and show you where to get the numbers from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    There are 1cm at each side so you need to minus 2 from the length and 2 from the width

28 comes from the direct journey back (if you read the table Reading -> Guildford is 28...)

Let me know if you don't understand and I will annotate the table and show you where to get the numbers from
    Thank you for replying, could you annotate the table?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osayukiigbinoba)
    Thank you for replying, could you annotate the table?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 419
Size:  10.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Hey can someone please tell me if the calculator stays open when you move from question to question?

Or does it close every time you move to the next question? ( I think that's what the ukcat website said)

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Guys, my test is in a week and I don't have a provisional license yet and my passport has expired and thats going to take a few weeks to renew. Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do? I'm really panicking The website says that for students taking the test in the UK (me), they can get a letter from their college. Has anyone does this? I'm not sure this will work. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 419
Size:  10.2 KB
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Is medify a real representation of the actual exam or the isc 1000 q book or even parts of it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I know this has been asked a lot, but I was wondering how representative the medify question bank for AR is compared to the questions we get in the actual exam. I've seen someone say that medify is easier than the real ones? Is that true?
    thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Sure! This is my first draft. I'll probably make another one on A3 paper once I've finished doing more questions. Excuse my messy writing. 🙈
    this is amazing! thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.