Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Have you told your college to attach the fact to your file that you got another bronze at the IMO this year?
    Cause otherwise they wont know.
    You do stand a chance i think as quite a few people with 2,1 get in.
    Best of luck man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for giving a suggestion!

And no, I didn't!

Is it too late for letting them know it? :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by botmun2)

And no, I didn't!

Worth a try anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    "Lads and lasses" it should be
    Nah, ladettes. This isn't the old west bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

And no, I didn't!

I dont know, send it now.
    Did they know aboht last years medal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I dont know, send it now.
    Did they know aboht last years medal?
    Yes, they do know about it! In fact, a good part of my ucas personal statement was about my math Olympiad stuffs. :3

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they do know about it! In fact, a good part of my ucas personal statement was about my math Olympiad stuffs. :3
    I get the feeling they don't even read personal statements. I was asked in my interview whether I knew what an integral was or not, despite mentioning that I had covered C3 and C4 (not to mention you do integration in C2)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Nah, ladettes. This isn't the old west bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ladette: "a young woman who behaves in a boisterously assertive or crude manner and engages in heavy drinking sessions."

LOL.

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling they don't even read personal statements. I was asked in my interview whether I knew what an integral was or not, despite mentioning that I had covered C3 and C4 (not to mention you do integration in C2)...
    I dunno if you're talking about a particular college but they at least read my personal statement during the interview if not before it (at Girton)
    Methinks the loquaciousness of it must have been rather off-putting next to my semi-mute minimalist verbal delivery. I mentioned Euler's identity, and they asked if I could derive it (I said yeah, but they didn't make me..), and they asked about some other crap I'd talked about being interested in like fractals

ReputationRep:
    Ladette: "a young woman who behaves in a boisterously assertive or crude manner and engages in heavy drinking sessions."

LOL.
    Drinking is a euphemism for integration

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

LOL.
    The lad is a male version of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I dunno if you're talking about a particular college but they at least read my personal statement during the interview if not before it (at Girton)
    Methinks the loquaciousness of it must have been rather off-putting next to my semi-mute minimalist verbal delivery. I mentioned Euler's identity, and they asked if I could derive it (I said yeah, but they didn't make me..), and they asked about some other crap I'd talked about being interested in like fractals
    Lucky, for my interview all I was asked was questions from my pre-interview test, no discussion of maths at all.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky, for my interview all I was asked was questions from my pre-interview test, no discussion of maths at all.
    I think they mainly covered the pre-interview test in mine, i.e. most time was devoted to that. Not that there was much to cover, as I basically just had a confidence crisis and sat there staring at the clock. Well, I "solved" a mechanics question by forgetting what gravity is.

ReputationRep:
    I think they mainly covered the pre-interview test in mine, i.e. most time was devoted to that. Not that there was much to cover, as I basically just had a confidence crisis and sat there staring at the clock. Well, I "solved" a mechanics question by forgetting what gravity is.
    Lol I also struggled way too much with a mechanics question that seemed like it was supposed to be quite straightforward; I could tell my interviewer was getting fed up (although he was already fed up with me before the interview). Did you get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    what country.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I also struggled way too much with a mechanics question that seemed like it was supposed to be quite straightforward; I could tell my interviewer was getting fed up (although he was already fed up with me before the interview). Did you get an offer?
    My interviewers were rather exasperated, kept trying to lead me to conclusions and I was just staring at the paper. I got pooled but no offer. I assumed it was down to the tests but I also had only 2 relevant subjects at AS and they had to take it on faith that I'd get A*A* doing maths A2 and further maths A level in one year. Dunno how reasonable their assessment was as I never did STEP II and III. I have to be honest found Warwick less challenging than I was expecting. But then again, everyone says it steps up a lot in the second year so I might eat my words there.

ReputationRep:
    My interviewers were rather exasperated, kept trying to lead me to conclusions and I was just staring at the paper. I got pooled but no offer. I assumed it was down to the tests but I also had only 2 relevant subjects at AS and they had to take it on faith that I'd get A*A* doing maths A2 and further maths A level in one year. Dunno how reasonable their assessment was as I never did STEP II and III. I have to be honest found Warwick less challenging than I was expecting. But then again, everyone says it steps up a lot in the second year so I might eat my words there.
    Yeah I also got pooled with no offer; think it's quite harsh that I wasn't given a chance.
    I don't like that you found "Warwick less challenging than I was expecting." That's the main thing I've been fearing...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I also got pooled with no offer; think it's quite harsh that I wasn't given a chance.
    I don't like that you found "Warwick less challenging than I was expecting." That's the main thing I've been fearing...
    Well it is what you make it. I tended to ignore the harder exercises on sheets, and just do the bare minimum to get strong assessment scores and do well in my exams. In the end, there's probably still plenty of people who did better than me this year, whether due to talent or a better work ethic, and I'm sure I could have done better myself with more work (I did very well all in all I think, but the point is I could have made it more challenging by aiming higher). In addition I did the very easy Logic 1 module for 15 CATS and only overcatted by 9 CATS (you have to do 120 CATS and can do a max of 150). I'm sure that with different module choice and going up to 150 CATS it would have been a lot harder.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is what you make it. I tended to ignore the harder exercises on sheets, and just do the bare minimum to get strong assessment scores and do well in my exams. In the end, there's probably still plenty of people who did better than me this year, whether due to talent or a better work ethic, and I'm sure I could have done better myself with more work (I did very well all in all I think, but the point is I could have made it more challenging by aiming higher). In addition I did the very easy Logic 1 module for 15 CATS and only overcatted by 9 CATS (you have to do 120 CATS and can do a max of 150). I'm sure that with different module choice and going up to 150 CATS it would have been a lot harder.
    What results did you get in your first year if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm definitely gonna be doing all the harder exercises on the sheets, can't do maths without hard problems .

ReputationRep:
    What results did you get in your first year if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm definitely gonna be doing all the harder exercises on the sheets, can't do maths without hard problems .
    I got a first with 86% average. Lots of variation in modules but in general I did well in the important ones (78, 88, 92 and 90 in "required cores"). The ones I've looked at are quite fun and interesting. At certain points, especially if you have a decent social life, you may find the assessed parts very time consuming if not super hard.

ReputationRep:
    I got a first with 86% average. Lots of variation in modules but in general I did well in the important ones (78, 88, 92 and 90 in "required cores". The ones I've looked at are quite fun and interesting. At certain points, especially if you have a decent social life, you may find the assessed parts very time consuming if not super hard.
    Wow well done, hopefully you'll end up with a first then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.