The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
Simplicity
P.S. On another note, tomorrow I will start a diet, where you eat carbs on certain days and then other days you have no carbs but increase protein intake.
Carb-cycling?
My Alt
Music, TV, Film... it's easy.

Torrents :biggrin:
To university!!!!!!!!! **** I hate night time driving especialy when drunk.
DeanK22

Presumably you're joking? Otherwise I hope you wrap your spinal column around a tree.

Personally, I find the feeling of setting off on a multiple-hundred mile overnight solo drive rather agreeable. Not sure why!

The last few lectures ever start on Monday, leaving me halfway between savouring every last moment of responsibility free studentdom and just wanting to get it over and done with.
Reply 3344
majikthise
Presumably you're joking? Otherwise I hope you wrap your spinal column around a tree.

Agreed.
DeanK22

I feel I'm being trolled. But, please don't drink and drive or atleast drive faster than the speed limit.

On a related subject, the adverts are funny in a sick kind of way its like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYq9CBZoKQ
Don't you feel yourself thinking, shut up nagging bitch.

Also, this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm8yyl9ROEM
I don't know but GTA3 comes to mind.

But, yeah as a child like ever so often you had a crazy advert like this with someone being run over. Note, I have actually seen a biker crash into a car.

majikthise
Personally, I find the feeling of setting off on a multiple-hundred mile overnight solo drive rather agreeable. Not sure why!

The last few lectures ever start on Monday, leaving me halfway between savouring every last moment of responsibility free studentdom and just wanting to get it over and done with.

Depends if you are a boy or a girl. See my two sister would see that as a nightmare.

Lectures over, now the hard bit begins. I guess remeber, that in a few weeks you will be thinking why the hell didn't I study harder.

ste0731
Torrents

You wouldn't steal from a shop.

Actually, you probably would as you come from salford, chav city.*

P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VuMUzICws&feature=related
Want a jet pack so I can play this music whilst flying in it. Maybe, I will invent one in the future.

P.P.S. On another note, I'm so desensitived to violence or any of that sort that adverts like that are actually sort of funny, well funny. Tbf, this is probably the most effective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9DpwQZCJms however it got banned.

* Two of the bigget thiefs I know come from salford. Lucky the law isn't that tough on illegally downloading stuff.
Reply 3346
Simplicity

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

Also, no I wouldn't, but if I had a device that could make perfect copies of the contents of the shop without damaging the items therein, you better believe I'd use it.
Reply 3347
Simplicity
A shop has to pay for the product, employ staff to do the administration and shelf stacking and buy/rent the building to keep the product in. I'm not claiming that it's not morally wrong to download media illegally, but it's different from shoplifting. It's pretty much victimless if you wouldn't have bought the product anyway and in some cases it may even assist the media industry by allowing people to trial products (I probably wouldn't buy an album by a band I don't know particularly well, but if I listened to one of their albums and liked it then I might well buy a different one).
harr
A shop has to pay for the product, employ staff to do the administration and shelf stacking and buy/rent the building to keep the product in. I'm not claiming that it's not morally wrong to download media illegally, but it's different from shoplifting. It's pretty much victimless if you wouldn't have bought the product anyway and in some cases it may even assist the media industry by allowing people to trial products (I probably wouldn't buy an album by a band I don't know particularly well, but if I listened to one of their albums and liked it then I might well buy a different one).

Yeah, I guess the fairies just produce the stuff to be put on the internet, not like the companies in question have to invest a lot of resources into say the film, game, Tv show or movie. So it costing them a lot espically game makers to have people download their games.

Worse reasoning ever. Would you steal something and its okay because you probably wouldn't have brought it anyway, which is self evident as you are stealing it.

Also, its not victimless. If you torrent you are helping it to be uploaded and giving sites that do depend on illegal downloading a lot of money. Tbf, if I became a artist(painter) and other people started to sell copies of my work and I got nothing, I would be going crazy. Yet, how is it acceptable for you to steal someone work and they get nothing, you wouldn't go into a shop and open a pack of crisp take a few and then just throw it in the bin.

But, I guess its alright as its not like the people who depend on it are losing money. Its not like the music, gaming and movie industry are being effected by it.

v-zero
Also, no I wouldn't, but if I had a device that could make perfect copies of the contents of the shop without damaging the items therein, you better believe I'd use it.

So let me get this, you would counterfit goods if you got them to be perfect copies(the morals on this forum get worse). If you could counterfit money would you do that too? if the money was a perfect copy?
Simplicity

If I have x amount of fixed disposable income to spend on music, spend it all on CDs, and then illegally download anything else I want on top where is the victim?
Also, regardless of it being perfectly justifiable or not, downloading is certainly not the same thing as shoplifting. In one case you receive something you didn't pay for. In the other case, you receive something you didn't pay for and also deprive the shop of stock which they paid for and could otherwise have sold. I fail to see how the latter is not demonstrably worse.
Reply 3350
Simplicity
So let me get this, you would counterfit goods if you got them to be perfect copies(the morals on this forum get worse). If you could counterfit money would you do that too? if the money was a perfect copy?

Whilst I am in no position to afford it, yes, otherwise I would simply not purchase these things. No money is being lost from the system. Also, if I have a DVD of something, I do not recognise the downloading of said DVD in HD to be morally wrong.
Reply 3351
Simplicity
Yeah, I guess the fairies just produce the stuff to be put on the internet, not like the companies in question have to invest a lot of resources into say the film, game, Tv show or movie. So it costing them a lot espically game makers to have people download their games.

Worse reasoning ever. Would you steal something and its okay because you probably wouldn't have brought it anyway, which is self evident as you are stealing it.

Also, its not victimless. If you torrent you are helping it to be uploaded and giving sites that do depend on illegal downloading a lot of money. Tbf, if I became a artist(painter) and other people started to sell copies of my work and I got nothing, I would be going crazy. Yet, how is it acceptable for you to steal someone work and they get nothing, you wouldn't go into a shop and open a pack of crisp take a few and then just throw it in the bin.

But, I guess its alright as its not like the people who depend on it are losing money. Its not like the music, gaming and movie industry are being effected by it.

Regarding pirating music; musicians make most of their money from concerts and stuff, most of the money from sales of CDs actually doesn't go to the actual musicians. So if you download music, and you happen to like it, you might choose to go to their concert, which is where they actually make their money. As downloading is "free", there's more a chance of you coming across something you like because you have more choices. Therefore, you might argue that musicians benefit from you downloading their music. It is indeed why the industry goes on.
Reply 3352
Simplicity

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A BABY.

I have nothing useful to add to this discussion. I like music and I like spending money on ice cream instead. That's pretty much what it boils down to.
Reply 3353
DeanK22

You're not cool. In fact you're a bit of a ****, no offense.

Hathlan
YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A BABY.

You wouldn't shoot a policeman, steal his helmet, take a dump in it then send it to his grieving widow. And then steal it again!
Reply 3354
Simplicity

They're spending the money on making it whether you download it or not (though I suppose you're making them spend money on anti-piracy measures, but if you don't tell them that you've pirated it then this won't be a problem). And I didn't say that it's morally ok, just that it's different from shoplifting (in the same way that it's different from the crisps example). You don't help it to be uploaded much if you limit the upload speed and remove the torrent once it's downloaded (though this would annoy many people), and there are alternative ways of downloading illegally (e.g. ripping the audio from Youtube videos).

I'm not entirely certain what "you probably wouldn't have brought it anyway, which is self evident as you are stealing it" means, but my guess is that you're saying that you'd only steal something if you'd buy it. If that is what you mean then you're wrong.
Reply 3355
I wonder if Dean died.
People who illegaly download also spend 33% more than the average person on music/film/games in their life. So it clearly does benefit the businesses.

Your comparisons fail simps cos your comparing with things that are finite, you can download a song infinity times, so downloading it once has no effect, taking 1 packet of crisps actually has an effect as there is now 1 less.

They'll never stop illegal downloads, and it'll always be free music :biggrin:
If you know where to go, you can get free AND legal downloads.
Reply 3358
ste0731
People who illegaly download also spend 33% more than the average person on music/film/games in their life. So it clearly does benefit the businesses.

correlation, causation, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0FULHGwPkw

In like ten years or something, my flat will be just these boards. That would be so cool.

P.S. Although, I want one of them plant tanks in that film the secretary.

P.P.S. Is the joke just the changing of the signs.

If my physics is correct(which, it aint), he changed a charge of a particle from negative to positive.

Quick Reply

Latest