Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Not really a spoiler any more but...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Have you re-watched series 7? I only ask because I felt exactly that way after watching them on TV but I recently re-watched them all and I feel like I didn't give her enough of a chance - her story isn't fantastic but she's much more rounded than I thought at first. I'm warming to her :p:
    I haven't had chance to - it's not been repeated and I can't watch online due to having a download limit But I definitely want to again :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There's nothing to say that they haven't discussed this! They might be keeping it secret if it's a plot spoiler... Still not sure whether it's true but it's not impossible!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They can't keep it secret. Steven Moffat said this in a interview when Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill's exits were announced. And I think that if there was a way Steven Moffat could keep companion departures secret, he'd have done it by now. So I can't see it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Dislike bringing another guy in with her, works best with one companion.

I'd not mind a future male companion to see the doctor take a younger and more fun guy like Jack under his wing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    5 days :excited:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by bubble999)
    I've concluded it is the scariest one, simply because you never know what it was... and fear of the unknown and all :afraid:

Agreed! Tennant was the best :moon:

Paha, used to say it to my mum to freak her out :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yeah :afraid:

Better than Smith anyway, haven't watched many of Eccleston episodes to say something about him..

:rofl:

If only my mum watched doctor who.. :mmm:

(Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Anyone else watched the fan-made opening sequence that the new one is based on? I think it looks awful.

i think it looks alright but very different to the one now..

Spoiler:
    Show

Yet to be confirmed, but it's certainly plausible. I haven't fallen in love with her like I did with the other companions - I got to like her more as time went on but something about her just didn't quite ring true.

My pick for next companion - 2 friends, 1 male and 1 female, and NO ROMANCE PLEASE.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm the same :yep:

Ooh that would be interesting to see

Ooh, I saw this.

Spoiler:
    Show
    don't feel like I've got to know and love Clara yet - wanted a bit longer. Ah well, shall be fub to see what happens
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Agree, it would be nice for her to stay longer

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Dislike bringing another guy in with her, works best with one companion.

I'd not mind a future male companion to see the doctor take a younger and more fun guy like Jack under his wing.
    The doctor with Amy and Rory wasn't bad.. but prefer to stick to one companion too. I'd like there to be a future male companion as well :yep:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    5 days :excited:
    :party: cannot wait!

Oh yeah :afraid:

Better than Smith anyway, haven't watched many of Eccleston episodes to say something about him..

:rofl:

If only my mum watched doctor who.. :mmm:
    Wat... watch Eccleston!!

Twas fubby
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    :party: cannot wait!

Wat... watch Eccleston!!

Twas fubby
    :crazy:

I will do.. eventually..... :moon:

Haha how did she react? What did she say?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Yet to be confirmed, but it's certainly plausible. I haven't fallen in love with her like I did with the other companions - I got to like her more as time went on but something about her just didn't quite ring true.

My pick for next companion - 2 friends, 1 male and 1 female, and NO ROMANCE PLEASE.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That would be rather wonderful in an Ian and Barbara sort of way or Jamie/Zoey.

I would love to see them try something different with a companion but i'm not sure how they would always work. I always feel that while DW is normally quite good at showing the wide variety of human experience within the side charaters in the Tv-verse it's pretty monochromed for the companions (not so much of an issue if you add in books/audios). I would really like to see a mother onboard the Tardis, again it probably wouldn't work but the mother character is usually a bit of a joke or relegated so seeing one take center stage would be a nice change. And even though the BBC would just get charged with being pandering and PC companions with a disability (physical or learning), mental health condition, alt sexualites (ode for an asexual character) and middle aged and older adults would be really nice. Cute young woman whose personality relies on being an audience surrogate only goes for so long.

Plus alien companions again! Leela, Nyssa and Turlough were wonderful in the classic season and their non-earth perspective really added to things, not to mention Frobisher from the audios and comics (morphing penguins if you please Moffat)

ReputationRep:
    Doctor Who starts again this Saturday! I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm excited! Hopefully this season will be less kid-friendly (actually, season 7 wasn't that bad), I did like the show better when Russell T Davies was in charge to be honest, but Steven Moffat is still doing a fairly good job so far. And judging by the series trailers, this season is going to be kind of steampunk, which should hopefully make the show even more awesome.

I still can't believe that lots of "fans" have stopped watching the show because Peter Capaldi just happens to be an older guy. I mean, how shallow can you get?

ReputationRep:
    Jenna-Louise Coleman (aka Clara) to go this December...Nooooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse&Roses)
    I still can't believe that lots of "fans" have stopped watching the show because Peter Capaldi just happens to be an older guy. I mean, how shallow can you get?
    Seriously?! They'd better never try watching the very first series then :mmm:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    :crazy:

I will do.. eventually..... :moon:

Haha how did she react? What did she say?
    No, NOW :fuhrer: :mmm:

I phoned her up and said it creepily - she didn't fall for it :sad: But was still really fub to do :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Doctor Who Radio Times is out! The interview was pretty disappointing but we have the ep guide! Very brief summary of each because it's rather worth the purchase.

Spoiler:
    Show

Deep Breath - Pretty much what we knew plus extra murders going around and a buried spaceship. - Moffat

Into the Dalek - D. Pink's first episode. Basically it's nearing the end of a war and the humans have found a Dalek so damaged it's become good. Reminds me a tad of Dark Eyes (audio 8th Doctor) where he comes across good daleks and they're giggling and dancing around with children. Ever so slightly perfect. - Phil Ford and Moffat (it really wouldn't surprise me if Ford becomes the new show runner)

Robot of Sherwood - Doctor meets Robin Hood, says he can't be real and then evil murder plan from space. Good stuff. Written by Mark Gatiss

Listen - My likey this. From the sounds of it it's apparitions of the Doctor's past and future in an 'oooh isn't he so dark' ep. So long as it stands up for itself without being a collections of nods like Journey to the Center of the Tardis was it'll be fun. - Mr. Moffat once more.

Time Heist - Looks like we're going a bit more light hearted now, admittedly i'm not a fan of Stephen Thompson at all but the premise seems fun. The Doctor and Clara plus two others attempt to rob a bank and then just to throw in the fact it needs to be dark there's a creature that can detect guilt. Which actually is a pretty clever idea for a security system.

The Caretaker - Soooooooo. From the sounds of it her and Danny Pink hook up. But of course :rolleyes:. (It says she has a bf while being set in her school and how 'worse, any second now, Danny Pink and the Doctor are going to meet' so it sounds likely). Danny doesn't get much of a mention though so I don't think he'll be in the Tardis much. It doesn't give away loads about the plot but from the looks of it it's set in the school and the world's going to end. Fun times :yep: Written by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat.

Kill the Moon - Doctor and Clara land on a decepit shuttle about to crash into the moon, where upon they find a mining station full of corpses and spider-like creatures. Then the Doctor goes dark. You can practically set your watch to it. Written by Peter Harness

Mummy on the Orient Express - Frank Skinner! As it says on the tin and if you see the Mummy you have exactly 66 seconds to live. Also Clara has decided she wants to leave the Doctor. Written by Jamie Mathieson

Flatline - Possibly a Doctor-lite ep with Clara going up against a foe who 'exists beyonf normal human perception'. Written my Mr Mathieson again.

In the Forest of the Night - Trees. Trees appear everywhere. On Earth. Trees. Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce.

Dark Water/Death in Heaven - Finale time and Jemma Redgrave is back! We're off to the Nethersphere this time where 'old friends and old enemies manoeuvre around the Doctor' and there's an org called 3W. And there's a choice the Doctor must make. I'm going out on a limb and saying it's dark. Written by Moffat, naturally.

Good to see some newer writers on board for a change :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Avoided all spoilers and speculation for the coming series. I'll see what comes.

ReputationRep:
    Some more hints about each episode

From the sounds of it, it is shaping up to be pretty strong.

ReputationRep:
    Aaawh no I'm going to miss the first episode. I'm away in Belgium, which is very nice and everything but I'm still annoyed about missing Doctor Who. Perhaps I can still catch it over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KATCreative)
    Aaawh no I'm going to miss the first episode. I'm away in Belgium, which is very nice and everything but I'm still annoyed about missing Doctor Who. Perhaps I can still catch it over there.
    Me too :sad:
    I'll be in a field in Norfolk instead of Belgium though. Soon as I'm home my laptop is turning on though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Me too :sad:
    I'll be in a field in Norfolk instead of Belgium though. Soon as I'm home my laptop is turning on though!
    Aww I feel for you

ReputationRep:
    2 days 'til Doctor Who! So excited :ahee:

Anybody here going to the cinema to watch it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBPrincess)
    2 days 'til Doctor Who! So excited :ahee:

Anybody here going to the cinema to watch it?
    It's on in cinema?

But no, I can watch it on TV just fine. Silently optimistic.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.