Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! 😊
    Course: Classics II
    College: Worcester!
    GCSEs: 6 A*s, 6 As
    AS Level: AAAC (philosophy, history, psychology, biology respectively)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A (dropped Bio *shudder*)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyannie)
    Hey! I've applied to to Oxford, St Andrews and Edinburgh too for biochem! I loved St Andrews on the open day I attended - it seemed so peaceful and calm. What college have you applied to?

Also does anyone know when the offers for interviews start to come out?
    Hi I also applied to Oxford, and Edinburgh (My other options are Glasgow, imperial and UCL) for Biochemistry.
    The interviews are held in December, and as far as I know, they will tell the ones listed for interviews a week or so before.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    Thanks, hopefully we'll both get into Oxford then

How did your UKCAT go? Just wondering since you've got Edinburgh, who love a high UKCAT, and Bristol, who don't use UKCAT at all.
    That would be nice! I got 738.5 average in my UKCAT which was a massive surprise as I was getting solid 450s in practice. I'm not too sure how good the other Edinburgh people are going to be though! I kind of picked the unis I liked most this year, but my head of sixth keeps telling me that I picked four of the most competitive; if I don't get in this time round, then I'll probably wait a year and apply strategically next year. How did your UKCAT go, and how are you finding the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyannie)
    Hey! I've applied to to Oxford, St Andrews and Edinburgh too for biochem! I loved St Andrews on the open day I attended - it seemed so peaceful and calm. What college have you applied to?

Also does anyone know when the offers for interviews start to come out?
    Yay. Biochem! I applied to St Johns. You?

Absolutely loved the St Andrews open day. I like how the university is spread across the whole town (probably one of the reasons that I also love Oxford) and, like you, enjoy the calmness that comes from a small town like St Andrews. Where else did you apply? All biochemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    To be honest I was thinking about St Andrews over Glasgow but the whole 3 years there 3 years elsewhere thing you have to do for medicine really put me off, and who wants to go to the freezing cold Aberdeen or the fairly irrelevant Dundee when you can go to the best city, Glasgow?
    Good luck with your Oxford application though, maybe this year all the Scottish applicants and none of the English ones will get in
    Haha sounds like a plan. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How difficult is PAT exactly? Will A2 Physics and Maths knowledge be enough?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennieRDS)
    Yay. Biochem! I applied to St Johns. You?

Absolutely loved the St Andrews open day. I like how the university is spread across the whole town (probably one of the reasons that I also love Oxford) and, like you, enjoy the calmness that comes from a small town like St Andrews. Where else did you apply? All biochemistry?

In terms of interviews, I think they could begin sending out offers any time now but I've heard that sometimes people don't get an offer until less than a week before their interviews.
    Wha? Interview decisions for Oxford are sent out in late November, interviews take place in December and the decision is sent in early January.

Unless you're talking about another university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetruequeen)
    Should be more than enough - I went to a school where people just didn't go and do STEM subjects so there was no special preparation, I basically went in with AS plus what I could teach myself in the week immediately before. My personal statement was a little bit meh so I must have done fairly well!
    Here are the past papers in case you haven't found them: https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-...at-past-papers
    A link to the syllabus is on the left-hand side of the page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lainathiel)
    That would be nice! I got 738.5 average in my UKCAT which was a massive surprise as I was getting solid 450s in practice. I'm not too sure how good the other Edinburgh people are going to be though! I kind of picked the unis I liked most this year, but my head of sixth keeps telling me that I picked four of the most competitive; if I don't get in this time round, then I'll probably wait a year and apply strategically next year. How did your UKCAT go, and how are you finding the BMAT? Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a really good score, if you ask me I think that'll be top octile for Edinburgh or at least very close to it. To be honest, my year head told me that I shouldn't apply for Edinburgh if I was doing Oxford and Imperial but I didn't listen to her and just went with it

My UKCAT went really well - 770 band 1, but my BMAT is utter trash - did the 2013 past paper last night, got 7.5 in S1, but only 4.6 in S2
    I didn't do Biology at a GCSE level and went straight into it last year, so I'm missing a lot of fundamental knowledge and as a result I have to teach myself the biology course in a couple of weeks, leaving a lot less time to work on the maths/chemistry/physics questions so I'm kind of ruining all of S2 like this

Haha sounds like a plan. Good luck!
    Thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Wha? Interview decisions for Oxford are sent out in late November, interviews take place in December and the decision is sent in early January.

Unless you're talking about another university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was just meaning that they will be looking at applications now and sending offers SOON. Sorry for not being clear on that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was just meaning that they will be looking at applications now and sending offers SOON. Sorry for not being clear on that.
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How important is the HAT? Im applying for history at Pembroke and I was curious how much consideration they give to your HAT mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistresshelp)
    How important is the HAT? Im applying for history at Pembroke and I was curious how much consideration they give to your HAT mark
    At the open day they made a big deal about the importance of that HAT in shortlisting for interviews, along with GCSEs, but with more weight.

But I also think it is more than just something to get you to interview, and they will use your score along with everything else to make a final decision. I had quite a long chat with a History tutor, and she placed a lot of emphasis on it. I can kind of see why - it's definitely a different level to AS and A2.

ReputationRep:
    From the recent PAT past papers, some Physics questions read a bit tricky though the Maths section looks fine to me. I studied HL Math & Physics, so I had to prepare some parts of the syllabus I didn't cover in IB by myself (but it helped that I was also preparing the SAT Subject tests last month).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermionegrangcr)
    From the recent PAT past papers, some Physics questions read a bit tricky though the Maths section looks fine to me. I studied HL Math & Physics, so I had to prepare some parts of the syllabus I didn't cover in IB by myself (but it helped that I was also preparing the SAT Subject tests last month).
    Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, which parts of the syllabus were not covered in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, which parts of the syllabus were not covered in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite a lot tbh. I had to read about Hooke's Law, most of the things they mentioned from the Natural World, as well as motors and generators. (Luckily I started low-key preparing since this summer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    At the open day they made a big deal about the importance of that HAT in shortlisting for interviews, along with GCSEs, but with more weight.

But I also think it is more than just something to get you to interview, and they will use your score along with everything else to make a final decision. I had quite a long chat with a History tutor, and she placed a lot of emphasis on it. I can kind of see why - it's definitely a different level to AS and A2.
    Is this true for the joint honors subjects? I've applied for History and Politics at Trinity. My history teacher has been marking my HAT papers and apparently I've been getting 79s on the two I've done but I'm worried about it still as I don't think I'll do as well as that in the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iscribbletoomuch)
    Nah, doing the PAT though! Which college are you applying to?
    As am I, how's the preperstion going? Magdalen, you?

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing PAT how do you draw 1/X^2 + 1

(the +1 could be any number..) thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick2810)
    anyone doing PAT how do you draw 1/X^2 + 1

(the +1 could be any number..) thanks
    You have to draw two hyperboles, one in the first quadrant, and the other in the second. Then for the +1 you need to lift the whole graphic representation one unit (2 if it was 2, etc.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.