The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Refrigerator
Are all GS divisions equally competitive or are Securities and IB harder to get into than the rest? Is it a bad idea to apply tactically, or will 'finance spring week at GS' look considerably worse on the CV than 'IB/securities spring week at GS'?

Right now, unless you want to 100% convert at that bank in that particular role, it's just about getting a name on your CV to show interest. Summer internship is where you grind hard for x department, unless of course you already made your conversion.
Original post by Refrigerator
Are all GS divisions equally competitive or are Securities and IB harder to get into than the rest? Is it a bad idea to apply tactically, or will 'finance spring week at GS' look considerably worse on the CV than 'IB/securities spring week at GS'?

IBD/S&T/GIR/IM are significantly more competitive than Finance. In my view, there's little point doing a SW in Finance if you want to be in Securities or IBD. That said, it's probably better than nothing.

So, it's not necessarily a bad idea, but for the summer cycle it won't help you much unless you want to be in Finance.
Got an invitation for a phone interview from JPM. I was so surprised since I am from Germany. Hope I can perform convincingly because I am not a native speaker.
Original post by snowwhite_123
Got an invitation for a phone interview from JPM. I was so surprised since I am from Germany. Hope I can perform convincingly because I am not a native speaker.

hi, when did you get the invitation? and when did you submit your application? good luck :smile:
needed some advice on Blackrock...

who here has applied and heard from Blackrock? would you recommend applying now (or is it too late you reckon?) and also is it just cv+cover letter or do they do tests too?

thanks,

Monk :confused:
Original post by DavidMonk
needed some advice on Blackrock...

who here has applied and heard from Blackrock? would you recommend applying now (or is it too late you reckon?) and also is it just cv+cover letter or do they do tests too?

thanks,

Monk :confused:

They also do tests. I did Blackrock test about 3 hours ago. It's standard SHL.
Original post by Anonynous

you reckon it's worth apply now then Anonynous? not too late or anything? cheers mate! :smile:
you reckon it's worth apply now then Anonynous? not too late or anything? cheers mate! :smile:

I would definitely still go ahead and apply. Given that all the test invites were only given out on Monday or so.

Be ware that often in firms give out tests all at once (ie Citi and blackrock) it may be that they only send out tests once in the cycle and won't do it, again
So you may never receive the tests and just be rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonynous

I know this might sound silly, but how difficult are the SHL?
Original post by Hody421
I know this might sound silly, but how difficult are the SHL?

Similar to Kenexa. Very straightforward. If you haven't done them before, I would suggest practicing a little.
Original post by Aenigma
Be ware that often in firms give out tests all at once (ie Citi and blackrock) it may be that they only send out tests once in the cycle and won't do it, again

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you defo sure that's the case with Citi? Someone on here did Citi tests end of November, i was given them second week of December
Original post by welcometoib
are you defo sure that's the case with Citi? Someone on here did Citi tests end of November, i was given them second week of December

That's what they did for summer. So some people waited 2 weeks, some 8 ft the tests - because the pass rate is done on a percentile, they have to ensure enough people have done the test so that you can be placed. If 10,000 take the test, then the top 6,000 go through. When the 10,001 person takes it , the figures will be distorted, so they try and make sure there's boy one group of test takers
We're put definitely applying for the same programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
That's what they did for summer. So some people waited 2 weeks, some 8 ft the tests - because the pass rate is done on a percentile, they have to ensure enough people have done the test so that you can be placed. If 10,000 take the test, then the top 6,000 go through. When the 10,001 person takes it , the figures will be distorted, so they try and make sure there's boy one group of test takers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah ok that makes sense, cheers. Did you get the email that you passed the talent q after taking it, and if so does that basically mean guaranteed interview after being reviewed agai
ah ok that makes sense, cheers. Did you get the email that you passed the talent q after taking it, and if so does that basically mean guaranteed interview after being reviewed agai

Yeah I did
No, it doesn't, unfortunately
(At least not at summer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma

Posted from TSR Mobile

you reckon I should email HR and ask whether they'll still be accepting? would they disclose such information? :colondollar:
Original post by Aenigma
Yeah I did
No, it doesn't, unfortunately
(At least not at summer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that sucks, fingers crossed anyway for some good news, cheers bro for the help anyway
Ah that sucks, fingers crossed anyway for some good news, cheers bro for the help anyway

Thanks, mate
Summer recruiting done (ended up withdrawing from Citi, pretty early on, so never found out if I got the interview), for me, so no luck needed!

Good luck with spring

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still haven't received the citi tests after applying in October, whist I know people who applied in November who have received the tests... Is this normal or should I expect a rejection coming my way then?
Original post by The-Illusionist
Guys my current status for Barclays is "invited for interview". I haven't received any emails/calls from Barclays - does anybody know is this interview is guaranteed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm having the same issue, it's pissing me off lol. Seems like a glitch, fingers crossed its not..