The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
Could anyone see Wenger selling Santi? Ive seen theres interest from Athletico and we all know although Wenger doesn't need to sell but he loves to make a profit. At this stage in Santi's career it would be the ideal time to sell him. Personally, I wouldn't want to see him go as midfield is the only place we have any type of quality depth.
Reply 3341
anyone read muzzi ozcans's twitter? schneiderlin supposedly has two clubs to choose from im guessing united or us.
Original post by atom y humber

#makeapole

:rofl:
Reply 3343
CommentLAD
FB_IMG_1436715060632.jpg
So glad we didn't go in for Sterling.

Anyways, you guys remember Jan 14', where we were crying out for Wenger to spend around £35m on ****ing Draxler LOL

Wenger knows.
Original post by AR_95
So glad we didn't go in for Sterling.

Anyways, you guys remember Jan 14', where we were crying out for Wenger to spend around £35m on ****ing Draxler LOL

Wenger knows.

Sterling will be better than walcott.Missed oppurtunity :biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xKay
CommentLAD
FB_IMG_1436715060632.jpg

Anelka for London Colney and Henry will always be our greatest piece of transfer business.
Original post by Pete_91
Anelka for London Colney and Henry will always be our greatest piece of transfer business.

Loads tbf. Vieira £3m, Pires £6m, Ljungberg £3m, Gilberto £3m, Campbell free, Toure £500k, Lehmann £1.5m, RVP £2m, Fabregas free, Cazorla £12m, Giroud £9m, Koscielny £9m, Ramsey £5m, Adebayor £3m(sold for £25m!!!), Nasri £12m etc etc.

He's generally sold brilliantly too. Overmars/Anelka/Petit went for £55m back in 1999 and that was unreal money back then, probably £200m today. Or even reconsigning that the likes of Hleb/Adebayor looked better players than they were and cashed in at the peak of their hype.

Wenger has been absolutely unreal in the transfer market, his eye for talent is unreal. You can take all the statistical models and scouting networks you like but AW and a couple of VHS tapes will spot the rough diamonds better than anyone still.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leinad2012
Cazorla AND ozil on wings is just loool. Complete example of picking individual players over picking a system that works.

I'll probably get knocked down for saying this but I'd be dropping Santi for the start of the season and playing wilshere as dlp, Santi really went off the boil towards the end of last season. I could probably just about cope with rambo at rw if bellerin is rb, means we don't have welbeck starting and can start Walcott as st. Noice

Can we just stop hyping up Bellerin as a fanbase? Decent prospect but atm he's below standard and very naive/raw so let's just play Debuchy.

Ramsey wont be RW either, that was due to injuries.

I'd use Santi as a rotation option in all honesty, he is prone to dips in form and I think Wilshere/AOC are more than capable replacements.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Loads tbf. Vieira £3m, Pires £6m, Ljungberg £3m, Gilberto £3m, Campbell free, Toure £500k, Lehmann £1.5m, RVP £2m, Fabregas free, Cazorla £12m, Giroud £9m, Koscielny £9m, Ramsey £5m, Adebayor £3m(sold for £25m!!!), Nasri £12m etc etc.

He's generally sold brilliantly too. Overmars/Anelka/Petit went for £55m back in 1999 and that was unreal money back then, probably £200m today. Or even reconsigning that the likes of Hleb/Adebayor looked better players than they were and cashed in at the peak of their hype.

Wenger has been absolutely unreal in the transfer market, his eye for talent is unreal. You can take all the statistical models and scouting networks you like but AW and a couple of VHS tapes will spot the rough diamonds better than anyone still.

Beckham- Free
Scholes- Free
Butt- Free
Neville- Free
Keane- £500k odd
Giggs- Free
Cantona- £1m
Ronaldo- £12m

The greatest ever manager.
Original post by Zürich
Can we just stop hyping up Bellerin as a fanbase? Decent prospect but atm he's below standard and very naive/raw so let's just play Debuchy.

I'd use Santi as a rotation option in all honesty, he is prone to dips in form and I think Wilshere/AOC are more than capable replacements.

Give Bellerin another year he'll be at Debuchy's level if not better. It's also not necessary playing Debuchy in/out when we can play him in CL matches and FA aswell so there needs to be rotation within the squad - something that we've been longing for, good depth in the team.

I'm more worried about the opposite side of our defense, Gibbs hasn't put a solid consistent performance in god knows so when Monreal *hopefully not* becomes injured, what are we left with? It's unlikely Gibbs is going to get gametime aswell as I think Wenger will play Monreal consistently through Premier League, FA Cup maybe even CL games. Which is why i've been saying we need another LB in our team.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Depleted
Beckham- Free
Scholes- Free
Butt- Free
Neville- Free
Keane- £500k odd
Giggs- Free
Cantona- £1m
Ronaldo- £12m

Lol Keane was a British transfer record FFS.

And lol at comparing Wenger scouring the 7 seas for talent vs Fergie just taking from his academy. Wrt Ronaldo, Wenger was on that case a year before Utd and Fergie was told to buy him by his people. Wenger backed off because he refused to pay a bung essentially, look into it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stefano93
Give Bellerin another year he'll be at Debuchy's level if not better. It's also not necessary playing Debuchy in/out when we can play him in CL matches and FA aswell so there needs to be rotation within the squad - something that we've been longing for, good depth in the team.

I'm more worried about the opposite side of our defence, Gibbs hasn't put a solid consistent performance in god knows so when Monreal *hopefully not* becomes injured, what are we left with? It's unlikely Gibbs is going to get gametime aswell as I think Wenger will play him consistently through Premier League, FA Cup maybe even CL games. Which is why i've been saying we need another LB in our team.

Dont get me started on Gibbs...

Luckily Monreal is one of those players who is rarely injured and we can (just about get away with playing Gibbs vs Watford and AFC Bourenmouth for rotation.
Original post by Zürich
Dont get me started on Gibbs...

Luckily Monreal is one of those players who is rarely injured and we can (just about get away with playing Gibbs vs Watford and AFC Bourenmouth for rotation.

We should've hunted for Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsburg imo, Gibbs is quite shocking as of late.
Original post by Zürich

Haha mate I'm not overeating Bellerin. I agree I'd rather debuchy at rb as it allows Walcott to play rw. However when bellerin is at rb you need a defensive minded winger so I'd rather have Rambo than welbs. That was the point i was trying to make (admittedly poorly).
Agree on Santi too tbh
For me starting XI should be:
Cech
Debuchy kosc mert monreal
Coq wilshere
Walcott ozil sanchez
Giroud.

Just imagine even without new signings our second XI is:
Szs
Bel gab chamb gibbs
Rambo flam
Ox cazorla campbell
Welbeck

That isn't that bad a team at all wengs could probably get top 4 with that.
Original post by Depleted
Beckham- Free
Scholes- Free
Butt- Free
Neville- Free
Keane- £500k odd
Giggs- Free
Cantona- £1m
Ronaldo- £12m

Only off by a factor of 7 pal
Original post by leinad2012
Haha mate I'm not overeating Bellerin. I agree I'd rather debuchy at rb as it allows Walcott to play rw. However when bellerin is at rb you need a defensive minded winger so I'd rather have Rambo than welbs. That was the point i was trying to make (admittedly poorly).
Agree on Santi too tbh
For me starting XI should be:
Cech
Debuchy kosc mert monreal
Coq wilshere
Walcott ozil sanchez
Giroud.

Just imagine even without new signings our second XI is:
Szs
Bel gab chamb gibbs
Rambo flam
Ox cazorla campbell
Welbeck

That isn't that bad a team at all wengs could probably get top 4 with that.

Wenger could round up the mandem on Hackney Marshes this morning and comfortably finish top4 imo.

I'm curious to how Mert plays. At his 2015 form he should start every game but if not then Gabriel should be phased in really. Otherwise looks about right but Wilshere will have to play his way into the team tbh. Ramsey needs a big start after not kicking on last season.
The idea that Wenger will get top 4 with poverty teams is a bit of a myth

for ages your only competition was Spurs who had a worse team, then Liverpool were awful for years so it was easy to get top 4
(edited 8 years ago)
Can we stop pretending that Wenger is the only one who does the scouting at Arsenal, or decides what players they are going to sign?

Wenger usually had a top 4/5 squad during the barren years anyway. The idea that he's some kind of miracle worker is embarrassing tbh.

For all those players, he could also have had an Ibrahimovic/Ronaldo
Oh guys by the way, we're in pre-season action on Wednesday. Details:

Asian cup

LIVE Everton v Stoke SKY SPORTS 1 Wednesday @ 10.45am

LIVE Arsenal v Singapore XL SKY SPORTS 1 Wednesday @ 1.30pm

:h:

Latest