Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i didnt set it up..found it on twitter
    thought it was quite funny acc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshjones453)
    thanks. However i believe year 12's will hopefully become more smarter in there revision technique. I'm an A2 student aswell, I knew where i went wrong at AS, and worked towards improving that. Also I think most students tend to create this 'false impression' of how good they really are at maths. Papers are getting harder as years go on, but doing a June 2011 paper for example and getting full marks isn't truly representative as to how good you are at the more challenging concepts of the syllabus.I didn't bother doing any past papers before 2012 in preparation for today's exam, as all of them are easier, instead I focused on solomon papers under timed conditions, international and (r) papers and the stretch questions from the textbook. This is how I revised and according to the unofficial ms i got full marks
    Some good advice there. I'm a year 12 student and I thought that I wouldn't bother doing any Soloman papers since I thought that they're not representative of the real exam. I will however do them for C3 and C4 next year since you've convinced me of their worth I think I've done pretty good as well so obviously Soloman papers aren't essential for C1 and C2 - I just did all the real papers, the R papers and all the textbook questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kf141998)
    Yeah i'am, i thought i would do well in C1 and 2 so that i can drop a few marks in D1, but now i need to get 90% in D1 to get an A
    Do you find D1 hard? For me I'm worried about timing and missing out on some high mark questions

ReputationRep:
    Where can i find maths (r) papers?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find s1 the hardest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)
    Anyone else find s1 the hardest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like it , what do u find difficult with it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkzzite)
    For 8)i) If you divided sin by cos you lost 3 extra solutions, which wasn't shown in the unofficial mark scheme.
    No you didn't. Any extra solutions would be trivial solutions which arose from solving it incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    People said doing past papers from previous years set and spotting your mistakes, correcting these, was the best method of revision for maths.
    Not the case anymore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sami.k)
    I like it , what do u find difficult with it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can just never put the equations into the context I guess it's cause I haven't revised it need like full ums though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    74/75 in C1
    55/75 in C2

What do I need, exactly in S1, to get an A overall in Maths?

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find it?
    I hated that paper...

ReputationRep:
    Any useful tips for M1 as I need to get a high grade because of today's C2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    74/75 in C1
    55/75 in C2

What do I need, exactly in S1, to get an A overall in Maths?
    Im not sure but...
    ur aiming for at least 80% overall then
    Out of 225 (75 x3) you need at least 180 marks (0.8x225)
    you already have 129 (according to your post)
    180-129
    so approx. 51/75.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    People said doing past papers from previous years set and spotting your mistakes, correcting these, was the best method of revision for maths.
    Not the case anymore...
    I think past papers are still quite useful, but moreso for applied modules since it helps you to visualize the range of contexts in which you may be asked to draw upon your knowledge. For Core its useful for the usual things but perhaps other resources might need to be used to find more intuitive ways of doing things. That's just what I think

ReputationRep:
    Wish everyone the best of luck on the results of this paper.

I personally am devastated after today's exam. C1 went very well for me last week after checking the model answers, got probably 62/75 at the least on that paper but probably more 70/75 (based on marks from showing the working)- which is easily an A grade.

I have never seen most of the questions that came up today, and ran out of time completely. The logs question I messed up, differentiation was rushed as I had no time, and the sequences question was disgraceful.

How did the rest of you find it?

ReputationRep:
    My son who got A* in maths gcse and is very good at maths has found the exam today really difficult. It was a resit and he is now in pieces thinking he may not get the grade to get into his uni course. Why are they so incredibly hard. I am very angry, seeing my son crying and so down, I think it has gone to far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawasan)
    I think past papers are still quite useful, but moreso for applied modules since it helps you to visualize the range of contexts in which you may be asked to draw upon your knowledge. For Core its usual for the usual things but perhaps other resources might need to be used to find more intuitive ways of doing things. That's just what I think
    This guy has a point. I did 10+ past papers in the past 3 days and I have never seen any of the questions in today's paper in any of the previous papers that I did. Very dis-motivating for A2 maths to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    If I got 45 marks each on c1 and c2 what would I need on d1 to get an overall c or b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PjsAndCoffee)
    Im not sure but...
    ur aiming for at least 80% overall then
    Out of 225 (75 x3) you need at least 180 marks (0.8x225)
    you already have 129 (according to your post)
    180-129
    so approx. 51/75.
    That looks so small

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawasan)
    I think past papers are still quite useful, but moreso for applied modules since it helps you to visualize the range of contexts in which you may be asked to draw upon your knowledge. For Core its useful for the usual things but perhaps other resources might need to be used to find more intuitive ways of doing things. That's just what I think
    I think to be honest the key message is learn the content, not how to pass an exam. As long as you understand why you are doing stuff, there is nothing wrong with doing past papers to practice (I just used past papers), the problem comes when you don't really understand what is going on and are just going "oh its the circle question they want me to do that" as then if they ask you a strange question you don't really understand how to go about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.