Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have decided to take up an EPQ and need ideas for a topic.
    Anything related to science and art

ReputationRep:
    have a look at some relevant newspapers and magazines, watch some of the talks here:
    http://www.ted.com/

look at the science section of a newspaper:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science

you'll almost definitely find something which really captures your interest.

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Well, it'll have to be something you are very passionate about, that's one thing. I'm doing one on the sinking of the Titanic and have so far spent hours and hours reading documents about it, before feeling anywhere near ready for the essay. So take a while to make sure your topic is one you're certain of.

Anyway, you could do something about the link between science and art; about what could be classed as beautiful or right (Dolly the Sheep etc, are they morally right?) I have no idea. Not areas I am very good at, but good luck with your project!

ReputationRep:
    Make a cake or something.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who are researching a scientific topic, and creating a piece of art inspired by it - e.g. one did a practical dying pigs eye retinas, and they have researched artists who create artwork linked to science, and they are creating a slightly abstract sculpture of the eye. Another is doing a similar thing but looking at mri scans.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an EPQ with the WJEC exam board. Because i would like to become an interior designer i'm doing it on interior designing. My main idea is to change the social area in my sixth form (as in add interior designs), however im not sure if i could actually do things like painting on the walls and rearranging the area. My teacher said i could take pics and edit them on Photoshop and like draw plans of what i would like it to look like. Anyone got any other ideas i could add to my project... it would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I was wondering ( I'm in year eleven )

Woukd these be good topics to.show that I'm not just science and Maths orientated..

Are emotions socially constructed?

Or

What are dreams, subconscious predictions of the future?

:reel:
    I like your second question, it could be an interesting topic to do but you would have to confirm what exactly you want it to be e.g a Design, Dissertation, Artifact e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaceAndSerenity)
    I like your second question, it could be an interesting topic to do but you would have to confirm what exactly you want it to be e.g a Design, Dissertation, Artifact e.t.c.
    It would be a dissertation

ReputationRep:
    It would be a dissertation

Oh i see, and which question do you think you'd like to choose?

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see, and which question do you think you'd like to choose?
    Dreams sounds like a much more.interesting topic and more scientific.

Whereas the emotions is more sociological, but also, someone I know wrote a degree essay on it and so I.could use their assistance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an EPQ with the WJEC exam board. Because i would like to become an interior designer i'm doing it on interior designing. My main idea is to change the social area in my sixth form (as in add interior designs), however im not sure if i could actually do things like painting on the walls and rearranging the area. My teacher said i could take pics and edit them on Photoshop and like draw plans of what i would like it to look like. Anyone got any other ideas i could add to my project... it would be helpful
    How about doing a questionnaire/ survey of the students opinions of your designs, or an essay-y bit about the advantages and disadvantages of your design, and compare it to the current layout. Perhaps you could persuade someone to let you move the furniture around and stick posters on the wall of what would be there - e.g. a window/ picture - this could help with the survey bit.

ReputationRep:
    Dreams sounds like a much more.interesting topic and more scientific.

Whereas the emotions is more sociological, but also, someone I know wrote a degree essay on it and so I.could use their assistance.

Ah, yes that's the reason i said it would be better to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    How about doing a questionnaire/ survey of the students opinions of your designs, or an essay-y bit about the advantages and disadvantages of your design, and compare it to the current layout. Perhaps you could persuade someone to let you move the furniture around and stick posters on the wall of what would be there - e.g. a window/ picture - this could help with the survey bit.
    Thanks well i've typed my questionnaire up all i need to do is give it out to people.... i'll see what they say about the posters thing

ReputationRep:
    Okay :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Both of these points are wrong. Freud invented dream analysis therapy. Psycho-analysis is considered to be un-scientific, unlike some other areas of psychology. As for emotions being 'more emotional'...... someone doesn't know whatthey are talking about....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    Both of these points are wrong. Freud invented dream analysis therapy. Psycho-analysis is considered to be un-scientific, unlike some other areas of psychology. As for emotions being 'more emotional'...... someone doesn't know whatthey are talking about....
    Ah well i was just saying that it would be more interesting to do... Ik nothing of it ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah well i was just saying that it would be more interesting to do... Ik nothing of it ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry it was the evil fish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    sorry it was the evil fish...
    I said the emotions one is sociological because my question.would be...

Are emotions socially constructed?

And as for the dreams, I would have thought.it did entail some scientific background...

ReputationRep:
    How does the AQA exam board check for plagiarism?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm doing my EPQ on The development of forensic science, and I wondered if anyone had any books/ websites etc they could recommend for research?

Thanks,

Any replies will get a good rep!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.