Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    Yea Rioch netted us beauty there. But look at the movement of our attacking players whenever he's got the ball, we had multiples of wingers, central midfielders and strikers all bombing forward aggressively ripping defenders to shreds. Then you look at the way we played this year and there is literally none of that attacking bite it's all been hesitant (or crappy) approach play.
    That's what I said to 419, it seemed like you were playing pretty defensively, you have more of the ball but it's like you're scared/unable to open up the teams and just play to recycle possession.

Yeah you could see the likes of henry, bergkamp, viera, pires and llungberg linking up together it looks so majestic compared to last season. Need more players of the quality of cazorla. I think cazorla, rosicky, walcott does look like a good 3 behind the striker. A top quality all purpose physical CM and a striker would be great. Arsenal's counter attacking play then looked great, viera I think would be the player you need desperately from your old side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I don't listen to shearer, he thinks my team are the english barcelona so I stopped listening to him and watching MOTD at that and watched full matches before making opinions.

I did watch many of your games during that run. It was the same thing the whole game, you get a decent amount of possession, probably like 55-60, play terrible in the first half, slow tempoed, create little chances with certain players fluffing shots and crosses(you know who) then the second half you step it up when the other team get tired or when you're 1-0 down. That was a constant occurrence. I know you'll say a wins a win but when you did such uninspiring performances in the first half of games vs top opposition (liverpool 2-2 emirates, chelsea 2-1 SB, bayern munich 3-1 emirates) it clearly costed you, even though you put in much better performances in the second half...

I don't doubt that if you did this the whole season you'd be in for the title, beating 14/20 teams twice would get you 84 points e.g. and you could draw at home and lose away to the other teams, that's 90 points, so like you said it's clearly possible, but in europe you'll again be on the receiving end of a spanking and out of a tie in the first leg.
    The Shearer point was just a jest really, wasn't meant to be taken seriously
    If you're talking about the last 10 games, you're wrong there as it was actually the opposite of how we played during the run it. We come out gun blazing and then after 30 minutes settle into a defensive mode- the Man U, QPR and Fulham game were perfect examples of how we played throughout the run in. Very frustrating that we just refused to take the initiative and was risky tactics especially during the United game. Wigan game was the only one exception, where what you said holds truth and we did put in a second half performance but that's probably because we weren't winning.

What you said was true for the first half of the season though and it did cost us in more matches. No doubt our result against the top sides need to improve next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    The Shearer point was just a jest really, wasn't meant to be taken seriously
    If you're talking about the last 10 games, you're wrong there as it was actually the opposite of how we played during the run it. We come out gun blazing and then after 30 minutes settle into a defensive mode- the Man U, QPR and Fulham game were perfect examples of how we played throughout the run in. Very frustrating that we just refused to take the initiative and was risky tactics especially during the United game. Wigan game was the only one exception, where what you said holds truth and we did put in a second half performance but that's probably because we weren't winning.

What you said was true for the first half of the season though and it did cost us in more matches. No doubt our result against the top sides need to improve next season.
    Not necessarily, with the Fulham game, you had 91% possession in the first 15-20 mins and fulham looked more likely to score than you guys from what I remember. You didn't create many clear chances for the first half and probably played worse when sidwell was sent off.
    QPR you took the initiative so fair enough and same for the united match. The norwich match as well the 3-1 while you attacked them in the first half you were looking unlikely to score because of their 3 DM tactics and stepped up in the second half.

Near the end of the matches you do try hard as hell to hold a lead though. But(correct me if I'm wrong) most of your goals during the run in came in the second half when the other team got tired. But your performances were more inspiring than in the first half of the season overall which I can't deny.

Plus noticed something, you were the only team in the top 7 who didn't win against a team above them in the table come end of the season(just realised this now city beat united, chelsea beat united, tottenham beat city and united, everton beat tottenham, liverpool beat tottenham).

ReputationRep:
    I think Arsenal showed some real problems in the Bayern Munich game at the first leg and thats when more attention was paid to defensive responsibilities of all players. Yes, the team look quite reluctant to bomb forward now and its more of a patient build up but thats not necessarily a bad thing. We may not score 3-4 goals a game this way but at least we shut the opposition out and that always gives us more of a chance.
    Anyway, I would prefer the attractive football of the invincibles but we don't have that kind of talent anymore unfortunately. And I agree that winning games like we have been playing in the last 10 games of the season would be difficult to continue in the long run but having said that, buying some quality players this season and adding to the depth of our squad, we will definitely be able to challenge the top 3.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way it's gonna be a long summer that's all I know.

ReputationRep:
    Koscielny voted 2nd best player of the season!!!:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...-2nd-koscielny

ReputationRep:
    According to @DarrenArsenal1 Peter Hill-Wood has stepped down from the Arsenal board, with an announcement and a replacement due soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Need more players of the quality of cazorla. I think cazorla, rosicky, walcott does look like a good 3 behind the striker. A top quality all purpose physical CM and a striker would be great. Arsenal's counter attacking play then looked great, viera I think would be the player you need desperately from your old side.
    I think the spine of our starting XI will carry a lot of clout next year even without a big DM. Cazorla and Wilshere are gonna be the golden boys and if the Kos-Mert partnership holds strong and we sign a top notch striker then we'll have strong foundations to build on. I think (and hope) the Walcotts, Ramseys and Girouds of the team all grow and improve a bit on last season but that spine staying strong is where the decent cup runs and 80-85pt season are gonna come from.

Tbh our current style of play means a big DM wouldn't make much difference. Like you said we've spent 75% of the time dinking it about aimlessly in the middle of the park all year and a big DM would have just been joining in. But a new more attacking Arsenal would definately require a super reliable holding midfielder who can retain possession whilest attacking players bomb forward, Fellaini (never gonna get him) would be the dogs *******s.

There's a lot of talk about Jovetic but I've watched a few videos and he just looks like an average striker with okayish link up play. Looking at these stats again...

RVP this year 194 shots, 89 on target (46%)
    38 goals or 20% of shots are goals

Higuain 100 shots, 52 on target (52%)
    23 goals or 23% of shots are goals

Jovetic 114 shots, 43 on target (38%)
    13 goals or 11% of shots are goals

I understand that football isn't all about statistics and Jovetic may well fit into the team better but to excuse these stats he's gonna have to fit in one hell of a lot better. Not to mention Higuain's proven over a longer time frame and comes at a cheaper price. Personally these stats alone make the choice a bit of a no-brainer but I can understand if other Gooners are placing more emphasis on fitting into the team.

I just hope this, "we've got 70 million to spend" isn't another crock of **** to keep us quiet for another transfer window.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when Bergkamp's statue is being unveiled? First game of the season I think they said? Went down for Henry/Adams' unveiling and it was pretty special so looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)

RVP this year 194 shots, 89 on target (46%)
    38 goals or 20% of shots are goals

Higuain 100 shots, 52 on target (52%)
    23 goals or 23% of shots are goals

Jovetic 114 shots, 43 on target (38%)
    13 goals or 11% of shots are goals
    I remember when we had flamini and helb.. we need these types of midfielder, they were amazingly skilled going forward, not to mention, very hard working.

As for these stats. I think they are important. If you also get the stats from the previous season, we could really get a good picture of these guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    According to @DarrenArsenal1 Peter Hill-Wood has stepped down from the Arsenal board, with an announcement and a replacement due soon.
    Wasn't he pretty ill recently with a stroke or heart attack?

Wonder if they tend to replace such board members or just do with the current ones. Be interesting if he has shares in Arsenal to sell - Kronke or Usmanov?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)

Wonder if they tend to replace such board members or just do with the current ones. Be interesting if he has shares in Arsenal to sell - Kronke or Usmanov?
    He doesn't have any shares left, he has already sold them all to Kroenke. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Kroenke replaces PHW on the board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Well, at least he allowed us to take an interest in their affairs.

ReputationRep:
    Dein, the ol' 'Smiling Assassin', as chairman: the FA in our pocket and the transfer market at our feet! :coma: Not going to happen, though, of course. We'll probably never see him in any capacity with us again.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video...07586965963109 Just a normal day on Stoke's training ground guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)

Yeah, that's the supposed reason why he's stepping down, and as said above, it'll probably be Josh Kroenke taking over as opposed to Dein, who most wanna see return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video...07586965963109 Just a normal day on Stoke's training ground guys
    I was expecting a video of a dentist being sacrificed

ReputationRep:
    Name:  henry 14.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  8.9 KB

Brings back memories.... :cry2:

(This was from my pro career mode on fifa 13 and this was a player from millwall....)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Santi Cazorla voted Arsenals player of the season. Was there ever any doubt?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.