The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenemily03
If you don't mind me asking why did you hate leeds? Was there one particular thing you didn't like or an accumulation of different things?
I totally understand if you don't want to answer..!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think Nesca's dislike of Leeds just goes to show that you should pick the uni you feel more comfortable at - don't worry about the usual reputation/league tables - it really makes no difference where you study this course apart from personal preference.

On the other side of the coin I loved Leeds when I attended for interview last year - so proves we all "like" different things!

Consider what you like about each uni - personally I am from the north west so the idea of London never appealed.

Good luck
If you don't mind me asking why did you hate leeds? Was there one particular thing you didn't like or an accumulation of different things?
I totally understand if you don't want to answer..!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't quite pinpoint why I didn't like it, I just didn't like the feel of the university and I wasn't a fan of the city either. I wasn't overly keen on the staff either I suppose! But other people have really nice things to say about it so I guess everyone is different :smile:
Original post by nesca89
I can't quite pinpoint why I didn't like it, I just didn't like the feel of the university and I wasn't a fan of the city either. I wasn't overly keen on the staff either I suppose! But other people have really nice things to say about it so I guess everyone is different :smile:

If we're going on the support from staff on the Speech & Language Therapy course at Leeds Beckett they get 5* from me. They are very supportive, always on hand when you need them, even if it means answering an email to you at 2am.
Original post by DeeHarg
If we're going on the support from staff on the Speech & Language Therapy course at Leeds Beckett they get 5* from me. They are very supportive, always on hand when you need them, even if it means answering an email to you at 2am.

Well that sounds very good. I just didn't think much of them when I was there for my interview. Obviously it's just the impression I got off them but either way it definitely wasn't a university for me. I'm made up I've got MMU as that was my favourite out of all of them :smile:
Original post by nesca89
Well that sounds very good. I just didn't think much of them when I was there for my interview. Obviously it's just the impression I got off them but either way it definitely wasn't a university for me. I'm made up I've got MMU as that was my favourite out of all of them :smile:

You still a happy bunny I see!

Cant believe first year is nearly over its gone so fast - had a barrage of results recently and now its the final push with the last coursework and then the dreaded exams lol. You don't know what you are letting yourself in for hehehe.

But you are right - there is no one size fits all as far as the unis go - you have to pick whats most suited to you (although I was in the Leeds fan club)
Original post by AmyPilot
You still a happy bunny I see!

Cant believe first year is nearly over its gone so fast - had a barrage of results recently and now its the final push with the last coursework and then the dreaded exams lol. You don't know what you are letting yourself in for hehehe.

But you are right - there is no one size fits all as far as the unis go - you have to pick whats most suited to you (although I was in the Leeds fan club)

I'm still very happy, just got my letter from NHS with how much I'm getting and stuff so it's all sorted :smile:

Oo how did you do with your results? And tbh I love exams, I generally perform better in them then in coursework!
Original post by nesca89
I'm still very happy, just got my letter from NHS with how much I'm getting and stuff so it's all sorted :smile:

Oo how did you do with your results? And tbh I love exams, I generally perform better in them then in coursework!

You are ahead of me - waiting for NHS to email me asking me to re-apply!

Results going ok so far but like you I do prefer exams to coursework! We must be weird or something! It's good to be making progress and I promise not to laugh next year when you are doing the same things and I am more involved in psychology (which at least is not completely new to me unlike the SLT topics).

It's all good fun!
You are ahead of me - waiting for NHS to email me asking me to re-apply!

Results going ok so far but like you I do prefer exams to coursework! We must be weird or something! It's good to be making progress and I promise not to laugh next year when you are doing the same things and I am more involved in psychology (which at least is not completely new to me unlike the SLT topics).

It's all good fun!

Well it's good that we are similar, and instead of laughing at me you can help me with my work :tongue: teehee
Original post by mrsrev
It's reassuring to see that others are filling in the finance forms at the moment.

A question about SFE... some of the posts mention applying for a reduced loan. I answered that I was a qualified teacher with QTS on the initial page (as I am!) and had a pdf to complete. There is no box about a reduced loan - do I want the maximum available or a specified amount were the only questions.

Are there any other teachers out there who could help me as I was going to print it and post it this week.

Thank you!

Reduced loans are for those who do not want to be financially means tested or those studying on NHS courses. SFE will know you want a reduced loan from your course.

I would have another go at applying online as it is a much easier process.
Original post by nesca89
Well it's good that we are similar, and instead of laughing at me you can help me with my work :tongue: teehee

We all help each other don't worry - facebook is alive with questions! You get a mentor too who has done first year who you can meet with and quiz - but in the end you work your way through it all and get there in the end!

No laughter I promise ...
We all help each other don't worry - facebook is alive with questions! You get a mentor too who has done first year who you can meet with and quiz - but in the end you work your way through it all and get there in the end!

No laughter I promise ...

Haha thanks, I'm sure we will all be fine :smile:
Reply 3371
Original post by djavor
I think in most cases you can't but on our case you can as it leads to a professional qualification so you are still entitled to a reduced maintenance loan

Thank you

Original post by evantej
Reduced loans are for those who do not want to be financially means tested or those studying on NHS courses. SFE will know you want a reduced loan from your course.

I would have another go at applying online as it is a much easier process.

Thank you. We finished the forms tonight, so will stick with the pdf and will post them on Saturday. I couldn't believe how quick the response was from the NHS bursary - just need to find all the evidence to post now...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aimeen93
Does anyone want to make a facebook group for BCU speech therapy 2015? would like to talk to future pupils ^_^

Yes a facebook page would be a really good idea :smile: i see there is a facebook page for last year & the year before too!
Hi, I cannot seem to find it anyway so does anyone know the weeks in attendance for Leeds beckett?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I cannot seem to find it anyway so does anyone know the weeks in attendance for Leeds beckett?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have this written down somewhere I will go find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

course runs from 3rd week of September until end of May (for exams), then 1 week placement in June.

So that's 37 weeks at uni (inc hols) and 1 week placement but the NHS pays monthly across 11 months anyway. (2014/2015 year this was 1 week less as students did no move into halls until the last week of September so course start date was changed)

Also there's now a Facebook group for 2015 Leeds Beckett students called Leeds Beckett- Speech & Language Therapy 2015
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by grace22
Yes a facebook page would be a really good idea :smile: i see there is a facebook page for last year & the year before too!

Just seen this! As I've made BCU my firm choice I would love to speak to other future students:smile:
For anyone whos interested, i've created a page for BCU on facebook. www.facebook.com/BCUSLT2015

Look forward to chatting!
Hi everyone, hope you're all okay! I've not checked this in a while as I've been busy revising but well done on everyone else who has received offers and its so exciting to see you all firming your choices!

I was just wondering what you all thought about me starting a blog/vlog about Speech and Language Therapy. I'm at University of Manchester and so the information might be more focused on that course but if you do similar topics then it could be of some help. I could always take suggestions on videos to do e.g. placement, exams, revision. It's just something I thought of when I saw something similar for a different degree.

Let me know what you guys think :smile:
I think that'd be really cool! It would be nice to get a bit more of a feel for the field, and see it from someone else's perspective :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest