Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amywool)
    We need to write an open letter to the uni's to say "hey you, dean of med school, tell me if you think you're a good doctor?? Now go take the UKCAT and i will categorically decide whether you are a good doctor or not and decide your life for you based on what score you get. Don't judge us just on the UKCAT - talk to us and read our statements!"

Sorry. I'm angry. I broke my toe and I'm mad about everything all of a sudden.
    You're right, the UKCAT is a way of weeding out 'stronger' candidates which is required due to the courses competitive nature, but I think instead of using such a stupid entrance exam for so many universities that they should all just use the GAMSAT or something similar and lower the cost of actually taking the exam and the resources for it (i.e the GAMSAT gold standard book which sets one back £112!).

ReputationRep:
    We need to write an open letter to the uni's to say "hey you, dean of med school, tell me if you think you're a good doctor?? Now go take the UKCAT and i will categorically decide whether you are a good doctor or not and decide your life for you based on what score you get. Don't judge us just on the UKCAT - talk to us and read our statements!"

I would sign that letter! sorry to hear about your toe, hope you're feeling better soon and that you don't have to wait too long for news.

ReputationRep:
    What college did you apply to?

ReputationRep:

I watched a talk by kings and they said UKCAT correlated well with how people did on the course. I think it's as valid a selection tool as any.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    I watched a talk by kings and they said UKCAT correlated well with how people did on the course. I think it's as valid a selection tool as any.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The UKCAT website lists study after study demonstrating its efficacy as a predictive tool - of course! At the KCL open day I went to, they said it was basically an endurance test.
    I have this theory that it's actually a way of testing whether or not you're ready for NHS bureaucracy Like, "when given a series of hoops to jump through that are time-consuming, frustrating, and have no obvious relevance to clinical medicine whatsoever, can you just grit your teeth and get on with it - yes or no?"
    I'd back that as an explanation :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizenkaLizenka)
    The UKCAT website lists study after study demonstrating its efficacy as a predictive tool - of course! At the KCL open day I went to, they said it was basically an endurance test.
    I have this theory that it's actually a way of testing whether or not you're ready for NHS bureaucracy Like, "when given a series of hoops to jump through that are time-consuming, frustrating, and have no obvious relevance to clinical medicine whatsoever, can you just grit your teeth and get on with it - yes or no?"
    😄😄 I think you're on to something there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizenkaLizenka)
    I think you're into something there too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DT17)
    Has anyone heard from Birmingham, Southampton, or Warwick for interviews yet for A101/BM4? Looks like they are starting to go out for undergrads but maybe not grads?
    I haven't heard anything from Birmingham yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DT17)
    Has anyone heard from Birmingham, Southampton, or Warwick for interviews yet for A101/BM4? Looks like they are starting to go out for undergrads but maybe not grads?
    Warwick says on their site that invitations to interview go out in December

ReputationRep:

change campaign?? I would definetly sign it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DT17)
    Soton started on the 24th last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macarenafc92)
    change campaign?? I would definetly sign it
    The alternative is GAMSAT which is 100x worse...

ReputationRep:
    interview just come through for Leicester undergrad! (as a graduate) anyone else heard? xx

ReputationRep:
    well done! what was your UKCAT score?

ReputationRep:
    An email from UCAS Media just made me jump out of my skin...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWRC2421)
    interview just come through for Leicester undergrad! (as a graduate) anyone else heard? xx
    As if I wasn't constantly checking my emails enough! I've applied there but not heard back yet.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats

Ive applied but havent heard yet, what did you score? Im not entirely sure what ive scored as i did access instead of a levels so it depends if thry class them as comparative

ReputationRep:
    Well done to everyone getting interviews and sorry to those who lost one of their choices.

Hubs is still waiting here t hear from any of them.

St georges said mid november, that's basically next week!! Yikes!!

Good luck and fingers crossed for all!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    Congrats

Ive applied but havent heard yet, what did you score? Im not entirely sure what ive scored as i did access instead of a levels so it depends if thry class them as comparative
    I know I didn't score highly as I don't have any Alevels think I only scored 6 on the academic side of things and 26 for the ukcat.
    I'm hoping the take in to account that I don't have Alevels but still managed to get a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.