The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3360
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But I don't see how that wording supposedly meant someone had got an offer... surely they could get reinterviewed and subsequently rejected?

EDIT: Unless it's because they'd already have heard if they were going to be reinterviewed?
No, because if they were going to be re-interviewed, they would have been told this on 7th or 8th January. No-one will be called back now.

Edit: So, as my post explains, if you haven't been called for re-interview, an offer is in the pipeline.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Top_Hat
Ah, my letter didn't arrive today so that may be my outcome too. (Even though I live 2 hours from cambridge?!)

Same here and I live only 1 hour from Cambridge! I think sometimes first class can take more than 1 working day, just have to wait till monday. (2 more sleepless nights :/)

I have emailed straight away despite not being allowed to blah blah blah, i just said that all my friends have received theirs but i haven't and since we live in the same area could it be that mine was lost etc.
Original post by gracey11
WHY HASNT MY LETTER ARRIVED :''''''(

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the same position... Sucks.
Reply 3363
Original post by Melonga
I have got an offer from the pool for architecture too. Waiting to find out which college.

Congratulations! See you in September.
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Nope I didn't, what have you got an offer for? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Natural sciences! Over the mooooon :smile: you? But I'm really worried about making sure I get the grades now haha
Original post by ItsWhiteHat
In the same position... Sucks.

You're Homerton too?
Still in shock from my offer, can't quite believe it :eek:
Original post by Susancw
My daughter applied for philosophy but unfortunalty receievd a rejection letter today, she is predicted 42 points in the IB, there are no words to descride the pain she is feeling at this moment but she will get through this with our support and go on to do great things, congratulations to everyone who did received offers and to the ones that didn't there is life be on cambridge and it may not seem like that now but I know many students who have gone to other universities and have done very well, so never give up, you will get there it's just a different route your taking

My son was rejected by Oxford for law. Watching his sad die of cancer and doing GCSEs was horrendous. He got 7a* and 4a's and then 4a's at as. He was predicted 11a*.Oxford said his GCSEs were good but not enough. Most people would not have been able to do exams. He fought to get the decision changed. They then agreed to interview him and he got a rejection. Their loss😬
Original post by Minerva
PLEASE read the OP? It's all covered there.

I'm assuming you are referring to this post?

Please check out this post as well.

So when Emma say that other colleges "remain interested", they mean another college WILL make an offer.
Reply 3369
Original post by LD997
pembroke says 'on request' - do you know if that means today or what?

They said you could only request it starting on Monday, so send them an email on Sunday and they should reply by Monday
To all of you who got rejected, I just turned Disney's Let it go into a rejection song. I have not received my decision yet as I am international but I just thought this might be motivational :smile: Sorry for the long post.

The paper glows white in the room light tonight,
Not an offer to be seen...
A kingdom of Cambridge rejection
and it looks like I'm the Queen
My stomach is howling like this swirling storm in my soul
Couldn't get in...
Heaven knows I've tried....

You have to get in,
You have to see,
That is the best university !
Don't ask why, don't stop,
Don't be rejected !
Well now I was !

LET IT GO! LET IT GO!
Can't hold it back anymore!
LET IT GO! LET IT GO!
Slam Cambridge's Door!
Here I stand and here I'll stay,
Let Cambridge rage on,
Im going to *insert another great uiversity here* anyway !

It's funny how after rejection,
Cambridge seems so small
And this fear that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all!

It's time to see what I can do
At another great university !
I will fight hard, try and succeeed
I'M FREE !

LET IT GO! LET IT GO !
I'm one of the best anyway !
LET IT GO! LET IT GO !
Cambridge can never make me cry !
Let the storm rage on,
I'm gonna be a legend anyway !!!
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Literally seems like quite a few of us from the year 11 thread days have offers :biggrin:
Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done to you! May get to see you in some econ lectures next year :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christ's are emailing right now. friend got law offer!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minerva
Just to explain it again:

Everyone except the medics
If your letter says that you were pooled and that another college expressed interest in you, there were two possibilities

another college agreed to make you a direct offer

another college decided to invite you for re-interview

Colleges inviting people back for interview had to have contacted you by the end of 8th January, as the interview period begins today. It is possible if highly unlikely that an interview invitation went astray (check those spam folders, for a start) but I would have expected colleges to have followed up anyone they hadn't heard back from during yesterday. Numbers of people being called back for interview are very small, relative to the total numbers of applicants.

Therefore, if you have not been called back for interview, the position is that you should hear over the next few days (but not tomorrow) from your new college with details of the offer they are making you.

Some colleges have clearly put together a 'one size fits all' letter (hence the roller coaster numbers people have mentioned) and others have been more imaginative and written different letters for different circumstances. You can reasonably suppose that all these letters have been checked extremely carefully to avoid any embarassing or distressing mistakes. So, where a college says "another college will be making you an offer" that is what they mean :smile:

Medics
If your letter specifically states that another college is making you an offer, you have an offer.

If you have received the "your application is still under consideration" version, it is reasonable to assume that you are in the Pool for an open offer. The problem here was that it was not possible to complete this bit of the process, which only applies to Med/Vet Med, in time for the general mail-out, so there is a small number of applicants (apart from the re-interviewees, also small numbers) for whom a decision is pending.

Hi Minerva, I was just wondering where you have got this info from? Do you think it could just be colleges sending out old letters from previous years?
Reply 3374
Original post by Kolasinac138
Can you apply while studying in another uni? So that if you get rejected you just carry on in your current uni?
Cambridge generally hasn't been too enthusiastic about this approach, and actually nor am I. If you go to a uni on the assumption that you will immediately apply to Cambridge - which process requires a lot of your time and attention for around three months - you will end up by undermining both your application and getting yourself established on your course.

Your better approach would be to accept at least of the offers you currently have, and see what happens in the summer. If your grades are stellar and you have a good plan for strengthening other aspects of your application (you will get feedback eventually) then it might be worth cancelling the place you have and reapplying. But remember that there are no guarantees, and plenty of people try a second time and still don't make it in.

I appreciate that you are disappointed today, but Cambridge applicants have usually got plenty of really alternatives to consider, and when the disappointment has dissipated somewhat those should start to look much more attractive to you. Seriously, there are other really good unis out there!
Reply 3375
Original post by icamui1
To all of you who got rejected, I just turned Disney's Let it go into a rejection song. I have not received my decision yet as I am international but I just thought this might be motivational :smile: Sorry for the long post.

The paper glows white in the room light tonight,
Not an offer to be seen...
A kingdom of Cambridge rejection
and it looks like I'm the Queen
My stomach is howling like this swirling storm in my soul
Couldn't get in...
Heaven knows I've tried....

You have to get in,
You have to see,
That is the best university !
Don't ask why, don't stop,
Don't be rejected !
Well now I was !

LET IT GO! LET IT GO!
Can't hold it back anymore!
LET IT GO! LET IT GO!
Slam Cambridge's Door!
Let Cambridge rage on,
Im going to *insert another great uiversity here* anyway !

It's funny how after rejection,
Cambridge seems so small
And this fear that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all!

It's time to see what I can do
At another great university !
I will fight hard, try and succeeed
I'M FREE !

LET IT GO! LET IT GO !
I'm one of the best anyway !
LET IT GO! LET IT GO !
Cambridge can never make me cry !
Let the storm rage on,
I'm gonna be a legend anyway !!!

Great motivational message :biggrin: I don't even know when I'll receive my letter, maybe FRIDAY
Original post by Elcor
How long does it take to get to the Engineering department?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It takes me about 15 minutes to cycle there.. I would say I'm a pretty average speed of cycler. Some of my friends do it in 10ish minutes, but they seriously pelt it down haha!
Original post by willjeffcott
I should have made it nore clear in my original post. I have an interview there so nothing is definite yet!

I had a reinterview too :smile: Good luck with it, hope it goes well!
Original post by beardedlondoner
Super news!! did u get by email or letter?

Thank you! and by letter but not until after 3 so I thought it wasn't coming :smile:
Original post by Poppyloufinch
Natural sciences! Over the mooooon :smile: you? But I'm really worried about making sure I get the grades now haha

Economics :biggrin: same but I feel much more motivated now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending