Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Im gna reapply. Imperial/warwick and Cambridge again. I could very well get an S offer but I would take that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what were your AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    No it doesn't. Latest one becomes your final mark.
    Oh, not what I've heard. That's cruel and doesn't make any sense. Why would they take your money and lower your grade? 2nd marking could have been worse than 1st.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicJigsaw)
    I wouldn't risk it, your grade might go down if you get a remark so then you would lose your offer!

See you in October.
    True

http://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-sy...sults-services

"6.6.4 Where there has been a downgrade, the request will not be revoked and the original higher grade will not be reinstated."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    No way, what subject?!
    Law, and one of the A* was general studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Oh, not what I've heard. That's cruel and doesn't make any sense. Why would they take your money and lower your grade? 2nd marking could have been worse than 1st.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're paying money to be 'remarked' not buying higher marks.

Edited to add:
    (Original post by mazzletazzle)
    Truehttp://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-system/post-results-services"6.6.4 Where there has been a downgrade, the request will not be revoked and the original higher grade will not be reinstated."
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    Goddammit Cambridge, this is meant to be the honeymoon period! You send me an envelope, congratulate me on meeting my offer, then saddle me with 50 pages of financial documents, a bunch of forms I have to mail you (because you apparently still reside in the 19th century where the internet is nonexistent) and news of a £1500 college fee I've got to pay you in three weeks time. Thanks, Emmanuel. I feel very appreciated.

(just kidding Cambridge I love you)
    AFAIK it's only Emma that has that £1500 prepayment. Seems harsh.

(Congrats anyway! (If I haven't already said it (Apologies if I have - been a bit of a strange day...)))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Im gna reapply. Imperial/warwick and Cambridge again. I could very well get an S offer but I would take that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like a plan. Any ideas for what you'll be doing in the gap year? I highly recommend studying first year material because STEP should be easy after that, especially if you get up analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    AFAIK it's only Emma that has that £1500 prepayment. Seems harsh.

(Congrats anyway! (If I haven't already said it (Apologies if I have - been a bit of a strange day...)))
    I think many colleges ask you to pre-pay for accommodation and possible some of college fees before a term starts.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think many colleges ask you to pre-pay for accommodation and possible some of college fees before a term starts.
    There's an FOI showing that most don't, and those that do will wait for SFE funding to arrive. Actually, I think Emma will also wait a bit if you tell them asap you are waiting for SFE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    There's an FOI showing that most don't, and those that do will wait for SFE funding to arrive. Actually, I think Emma will also wait a bit if you tell them asap you are waiting for SFE.
    EDITED: (due to my ageing brain...)
    You'll get a bill when/just before a term starts which is payable wirhin a week after the term started.

ReputationRep:
    Emma's within 3wks sounds a bit early but I'm pretty sure accommodation charge is payable before you get there. You'll get a bill before a term starts.
    Is this a common thing in Cambridge? A college fee for UK students that isn't returned until after you graduate? Not something we have over in Oxford so I'm curious

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how I ended up in this thread but congrats on everyone who made their offer :yy:

(and if any of you are doing bio natsci then I may well meet you in any genetics labs as i'll be a postgrad helper )

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to all! Welcome to the madhouse, ha. Looking forward to maybe seeing some of you (if you are MML/Tit Hall/both!)

ReputationRep:
    4 A*s, got my offer and managed not to get stuck in a toilet, good day tbh (now I'm never gonna milk that joke ever again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Is this a common thing in Cambridge? A college fee for UK students that isn't returned until after you graduate? Not something we have over in Oxford so I'm curious
    Are you talking about 'college deposit'?
    If that's so yes. At the college my daughter was it was £150 and was returned when she graduated.
    Didn't know Oxford didn't have it. Butter colleges at Oxford only provide accommodation for the first years, right? At Cambridge all colleges provide accommodation to all undergrads for at least 3 yrs, many of them during the course, so maybe that's one of the reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about 'college deposit'?
    If that's so yes. At the college my daughter was it was £150 and was returned when she graduated.
    Didn't know Oxford didn't have it. Butter colleges at Oxford only provide accommodation for the first years, right? At Cambridge all colleges provide accommodation to all undergrads for at least 3 yrs, many of them during the course, so maybe that's one of the reasons.
    Yep maybe that's it - is Emma asking for £1500?

Nope accommodation is provided for 3 years at most colleges, only a few give it for 2. Most give it for all years including 4th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Yep maybe that's it - is Emma asking for £1500?

Nope accommodation is provided for 3 years at most colleges, only a few give it for 2. Most give it for all years including 4th
    Not 100% sure but I think that includes other charges like accommodation, kfc, insurance, etc. as it's very similar amount to what we paid at the beginning of a term for our daughter.

Really? I thought it was only New College and one other who do that. That's what some people at Oxford I know told me......
    Our friend's son has been living in a private accommodation since he was second year. I think he's at Pembroke....? .....or one of the colleges with a name of place.......

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% sure but I think that includes other charges like accommodation, kfc, insurance, etc. as it's very similar amount to what we paid at the beginning of a term for our daughter.

Really? I thought it was only New College and one other who do that. That's what some people at Oxford I know told me......
    Our friend's son has been living in a private accommodation since he was second year. I think he's at Pembroke....? .....or one of the colleges with a name of place.......
    I mean you can choose to live out if you want to, but most colleges offer accommodation for at least two years, normally three and some four

ReputationRep:
    Wait....£1500 was what we paid into our daugter's bank a/c so it included her living cost, too.

But anyway, I still think Emma's £1500 is not only deposit. The first bill was more expensive because it included insurance and other charges that was only payable at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Five A Stars.

Life is good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.