Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    Wow you make me feel really lazy!
    It's OK... I did another eleven-and-a-half hours today... all to little or no avail. I sometimes wonder how I find the motivation to wake up in the mornings :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    I sometimes wonder how I find the motivation to wake up in the mornings :confused:
    A new Piled Higher & Deeper strip might have been posted, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balancecatcher)
    A new Piled Higher & Deeper strip might have been posted, after all.
    A good point. That might just work

ReputationRep:
    If you think people in this forum are bad, they're bonkers conkers in the Ph&D forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    If you think people in this forum are bad, they're bonkers conkers in the Ph&D forum
    The general forum scares me more. It's so full of 'average people'; very off-putting.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Tomorrow, no matter how many hundred samples I have to detail in the lab management system, I WILL take a coffee break. Today, I had 20 mins for lunch, and took my coffee break in a lecture, while (re)designing primers and listening to the history of swine flu. Not my idea of a break...

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday was the first day in ages I've stayed past 5. I quite enjoyed myself

ReputationRep:
    WOHOOO>>>Offer from Imperial!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Only one more day on this project... before I roll straight into the next. And the amount of track changes I have on my first draft of the write-up is obscene

ReputationRep:
    Woo! Labs from 9.30 to 7.00, then back to Balliol for dinner at high table, now I'm back in the lab writing my talk for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Got my conference abstract sent off on Monday. It'll be my first publication where I'm listed as first author, so I was pretty stoked about that. Now I've got to get the next experiment designed, made and finished (well, at least 50% done) for the next abstract deadline at the end of the month.

(Original post by Bekaboo)
    Sorry, I explained poorly. Matlab opens - my program won't run. Or rather the one that wouldn't run now does, but now the next one also won't. And the error message tells me nothing. Huff.
    Why? Is it blank? Post it here if it isn't.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm so confused - my supervisor 'sexed up' my report write-up, to make it sound more definite about what we'd found... and then pulled out the one sentence *I* had put in being positive. I really don't get this scientific writing malarky...

ReputationRep:
    Just had an awesome meeting back in my old lab. Am feeling all excitable about science and being a researcher and stuff
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is that the lab you're going back to to do your full PhD with?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully. I started having doubts when I left, because everyone is so much friendlier up here and treats me like an adult and it's all more laid back, and I get to see people rather than be locked in the out buildings all the time. But I just went down to discuss my abstract for this conference (since supervisor and postdoc have to be co-authors so I need to give them first refusal) and we got talking about stuff and plans for the future, and for the first time in about a month I'm super excited about science and all the great things I'm going to do Plus *cough* I'm gonna get published which is teh awes0mez

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo! Abstract submitted

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!! was this for a competition or sorts? Or for a journal?

ReputationRep:
    For a conference. I was going to submit it for the Young Scientists prize for the conference too, but decided it's way too much extra work so not gonna bother.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The person who sits next to me in my office is fast asleep, head on his desk. Apparently he does this regularly...

ReputationRep:
    Someone in our lab was a wee bit cruel and posted a similar "nap" on Utube...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.