Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLeader)
    you cant have quote marks if it is not a quote. This is your own interpretation and a very ******* confusing one
    no this is not my own interpretation, the source is from www.islamqa.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    This is very much what I think, although I must admit I'd be at a loss to come up with solutions to your last point.

To ban it would be very bad. People are talking about British values-- what about the value in being able to wear what you please? I don't think dictating clothing is a 'British value'.
    Yeh as I said unfortunately it really is just an impossible situation. My mother recently attended a discussion at Cambridge University regarding women’s rights in relation to the Burka/Hijab etc. She’s a white Scotswoman and wore a scarf like a Hijab because she didn’t want to offend any males present at the talk. At the end of the talk, a man approached her and proceeded to insult her because a small area of hair was visible and referred to it as ‘pubic hair’. My mother was very upset by this, and said that throughout the entire talk the males were aggressive and adamant in saying that ALL women must be covered up.

It really is a shame. If a woman refuses to wear the Burka, she’ll be disowned by her family and faced with cultural retribution. It should be a punishable offense to pressure women into covering up, but how pragmatic is it? And what would it actually achieve? Would it stop the pressurising and retribution? Would it cause additional animosity and alienate our cultures further?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    We should do as the French have suggested, ban it in schools, hospitals, government buildings and also public transport. They can wear it in the street if they like.
    Yh if they want freedom of choice they cant have an education, medical care or transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Also it doesn't take much for someone to don a veil and the rest of the Muslim gear before they are completely hidden from CCTV and free to go around raping children. It is a MAJOR security issue.
    Shocking how your the 1st person in the UK to think of that. That would not work because it would not allow you to blend into the crowd in anyway - you would be watched everywhere you went. Plus the police would find it pretty easy to find you as there is baely anyone who wears it. If they are called at the time of the crime that is.

ReputationRep:
    What ever happened to freedom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    no this is not my own interpretation, the source is from www.islamqa.com
    it is an interpretation none the less.

ReputationRep:
    it is an interpretation none the less.
    Yes it is an interpretation, with much supporting evidence. and it is the more correct one

ReputationRep:
    Shocking how your the 1st person in the UK to think of that. That would not work because it would not allow you to blend into the crowd in anyway - you would be watched everywhere you went. Plus the police would find it pretty easy to find you as there is baely anyone who wears it. If they are called at the time of the crime that is.
    This is the UK may I remind you. There are more Muslims than normal white British here. Especially in Birmingham. Therefore you look more weird if you are not wearing the veil, sheet, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would say yes, not because I am against muslims but because I think those veils are intimidating!
    Also men can pretend to be women in those things! :p:
    Anyway if it was banned it wouldnt stop muslim women from practising their religion its not even compulsory, so who cares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weee91)
    I think people need to stop comparing the face veil to a balaclava/helmet! Er,hello? Its a belief,yes its not a must in Islam,but people dont BELIEVE/feel the NEED to wear a helmet/balaclava in public places!! Thats ridicolous.

People need to stop being so judgemental of each other and be allowed to express themselves in whichever form they want.

Besides, im pretttttty sure the government needs to be concentrating on more corrupt issues than a woman who wants to express herself by dressing in a way that makes her feel safe...
    Any woman that feels that in order to be safe she must cover her self head to toe clearly has an anxiety problem, I'd suggest they get some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    This is the UK may I remind you. There are more Muslims than normal white British here. Especially in Birmingham. Therefore you look more weird if you are not wearing the veil, sheet, etc.
    where do you get that from.
    the population of muslims is 2.5% according to government national statistics they do not outnumber the "Normal white British" whoever that is refering to. Plus most muslim women dont wear it so even in ares highly populated with muslims it would be fairly rare and certainly not seem odd if you are not wearing a veil.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is an interpretation, with much supporting evidence. and it is the more correct one
    thats not for you to decide. You cant put Allah says with quote marks when those words are not the words of Allah. It is pretty disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    thats not for you to decide. You cant put Allah says with quote marks when those words are not the words of Allah. It is pretty disrespectful.

The opinion of the schools of thought on this matter:

Imam Abu-Hanifa (Rahmatullah alaih)- the face and palms is excluded from hijaab but the condition is there should be no fear of fitna. The Hanafi Jurists have said due to the immorality of times and weakness of resistance, it is compulsory for a female to cover her face which is the

focus of her beauty.

Imam Shaf’ie, Imam Malik and Imam Ahmed (Rahmatullah alaih) –It is not permissible for a lady to expose her face and palms whether there is danger of fitna or not.

http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...c2467d3ef35484

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memo100)
    It they want to wear it, let them don't restrict their human rights, let them do what they want it's not hurting anyone and no one should even care! what about the sikhs who carry bloody daggers (kirpan) around with them, I find it funny that muslim women are picked on for wearing something that isn't against the law but a sikh guy can perfectly carry a dagger around with him lool
    exactly it is a huge hysteria about Islam and the need too supress where as other religions have equal or greater arquments for banning certain things.

ReputationRep:
    no i didnt decide, rather if you look it says at the beginning (interpretation of the meaning), so it implies these words in brackets are not texts of the quran, but interpretations of the meaning. End Quote

ReputationRep:
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/11774
    here is the full article, enough proof for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EthnicScot)
    This is what happens in Pakistan when women refuse to wear hijabs and viels
    u are ******* disgusting. Why woul you post that. There are children on these forums. And some of these are not because they didn't wear the veil - it is for many other oppressive and vulgar reasons such as a female going to school

ReputationRep:
    No, You idiots clearly don't know why Muslim women would feel the need to wear a face veil. It's called having strong values and following your faith. Stopping Muslim women from wearing the face veil is basically stopping someone from practicing their religion.

ReputationRep:
    no i didnt decide, rather if you look it says at the beginning (interpretation of the meaning), so it implies these words in brackets are not texts of the quran, but interpretations of the meaning. End Quote
    You still put Allah says implying it the almighty words of god

ReputationRep:
    You still put Allah says implying it the almighty words of god
    no look again (interpretation of the meaning) - this means the words in brackets are only interpretations

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.