Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    I think you'll find 2018 is approx just under 8 years away.
    As 8 years onwards would be December 2018, therefore it would be a few months before that.
    I was just gonna correct myself, 7½ years not 9½

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    Ha. Typical ignorance. Wear anything worth over £5?! Idiot
    Travel advice for Brazil recommends you don't wear any sort of valuables or anything that 'looks' expensive and you are supposed to dress down to blend in more. Obviously you know better, wave your purse round a favela and let me know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Now the Qatar selection I am amazed at, FIFA stated in SA that they wouldnt pick countries with weak home teams again - as a result of the 'disaster' of South Africa's elimination at the Group stage. - I think the issue with the others is the time difference - plus Australia would have a climate similar to South Africa - hence why I think that may have got the knock-back.

Personally I think USA and Australia would have staged better WCs but I guess Qatar have 11 and a half years to get it ready.

Anyone think these World Cups are being allocated far to early?
    For me, Qatar was an easy win because of competition it was against.
    Australia & USA- would probably have staged a better w/c but not really a footballing country and never will be.
    Japan & South Korea- wtf did they even bother bidding those greedy bast***s, they hosted it yesterday.

So Qatar was really the only country available.

ReputationRep:
    2022 seems a long long way off. Too long off to be making a decision in 2010.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Most of you plebs don't even care about football so stfu m8s.
    Yes thats why I'm a season ticket holder dip****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyyouthere)
    Travel advice for Brazil recommends you don't wear any sort of valuables or anything that 'looks' expensive and you are supposed to dress down to blend in more. Obviously you know better, wave your purse round a favela and let me know how it goes.
    Why would you be in a favela?

"Lets go to the beatiful beaches!"

"Nah screw that lets hit the local favela"

ReputationRep:
    It's the price we pay for being a good, relatively tolerant country. Maybe if we were full of racist, backwards ****s, we might've won?

An absolute farce. I refuse to believe our bid genuinely merited no more than 2 votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyyouthere)
    People do not just mug you if you're wearing a hoody that is worth more than a tenner. I live at the bottom of favela; waving a purse around is quite different to wearing a necklace or some nice shoes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    2022 seems a long long way off. Too long off to be making a decision in 2010.
    Ditto. The initial thinking was to give the host country mor time to prepare but when they realise that it was a bad idea, it was too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    People do not just mug you if you're wearing a hoody that is worth more than a tenner. I live at the bottom of favela; waving a purse around is quite different to wearing a necklace or some nice shoes..
    Is that in Rio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Does anyone know who are the candidates for 2026?
    Burundi, Sao Tome and Princippe, American Samoa and the other well known footballing powerhouse of Liechtenstein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Ditto. The initial thinking was to give the host country mor time to prepare but when they realise that it was a bad idea, it was too late.
    more time to prepare or more time for complacency to creep in...

I just find it sickening what Qatar plan to do. Spend billions on an event, and after the 2-3 weeks are up, to then rip up that newly built infrastructure, to send over to 3rd world countries (parts of stadiums)...sounds like so much money pissed up the wall, if only to satisfy the egos of rich oil men/women.

Qatar appears all about money, oil and rich sheikhs. Not a great deal else. Debatable as to how much real culture there is, even more detabable is how much of a demand and enthusiasm there is amongst people living in Qatar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Qatar appears all about money, oil and rich sheikhs. Not a great deal else. Debatable as to how much real culture there is, even more detabable is how much of a demand and enthusiasm there is amongst people living in Qatar.
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Qatar is gonna be a boring WC. It might be well organised and ran-- throw billions at it and I'm sure it will be-- but I wanna see a proper World Cup atmosphere, plenty of noise etc I cant see that happening.

Russia. Ugh. It seems so inward looking and racist from what I've seen. Hardly the most welcoming. I wouldn't want to travel there, no thanks. The pitches won't be frozen will they? I think I'll laugh if there's an artificial pitch in the WC.

England were never gonna win. I was listening to the radio on my drive back yesterday and was screaming at the radio: who the **** are you kidding? Those committee members **** themselves over the Panorama accusations, coupled with the fact Blatter & Platini despise the English, plenty of influence against England's bid.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so gutted about England not getting the world cup. I'm just more frustrated that the British Media's constant "investigations" can be seen in plain view as being mostly responsible for derailing the bid. The bid may never have been good enough to win, but to come last with effectively one vote and behind the Belgium/Holland bid, deemed by many to be the weakest, just goes to show. I can bet that exec producer of the panorama program (all blame can't go to this one source) is sitting at their desk with a smirk on his/her face.
    Congratulations to Russia though. I hope that they can put on a spectacular world cup safe for everyone and free of the feared racism many were discussing in the run up.

As for Qatar, good on them. I will however we watching with interest how they can have an outdoor world cup in a country where temps are regularly 40+ degrees and 80%+ humidity in the months of June/July... not that it gets much cooler throughout the rest of the year. I am also interested in how their plan to rip everything down after will work

ReputationRep:
    According to wikipedia China, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Mexico, Malaysia, and Indonesia have applied to host it.

On footbal legacy, Mexico should win it. But knowing FIFA they'll probably choose Indonesia or Malaysia.

ReputationRep:
    The ignorance about Russia and Qatar is amazing on here, 'educated' folks.

Why are people so angry about Qatar anyway? It's not like any of the other 2022 bids were footballing nations. They'll be addressing the hot climate and other issues anyway. It's clear most of you haven't really read about the bids. :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    For me, Qatar was an easy win because of competition it was against.
    Australia & USA- would probably have staged a better w/c but not really a footballing country and never will be.
    Japan & South Korea- wtf did they even bother bidding those greedy bast***s, they hosted it yesterday.

So Qatar was really the only country available.
    USA has a pretty good league. At least better than Qatar (do they even have a league?). But I think they didn't choose USA because they already had their turn.

I guess them calling the sport soccer wasn't a good idea lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    According to wikipedia China, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Mexico, Malaysia, and Indonesia have applied to host it.

On footbal legacy, Mexico should win it. But knowing FIFA they'll probably choose Indonesia or Malaysia.
    Mexico have already hosted it twice. The other bids will just play the "it hasn't been hosted here" card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    The ignorance about Russia and Qatar is amazing on here, 'educated' folks.

Why are people so angry about Qatar anyway? It's not like any of the other 2022 bids were footballing nations. They'll be addressing the hot climate and other issues anyway. It's clear most of you haven't really read about the bids. :naughty:
    Addressing the hot climate, how so?

Has the Qatar FA got special magical powers to reduce the temperature and humidity to more manageable levels for the duration of the world cup event???

:cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.