Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You failed at life wannabe Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you can be made bankrupt for not paying it?
    You'll be certainly taken to court and have a CCJ against your name.

ReputationRep:
    We failed, cos basically, the British Empire has always been a conqueror that cares for nothing and does whatever it likes without being concerned of how this would affect its population.:mad:

Unfortunately, traces of this 'conqueror' mentality are still visible.

The Miner's strike failed the same way too.

ReputationRep:
    We went down fighting, thats all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    We did not fail, this is only the start. Poll tax was overturned after it had been legislated and we're going to try our hardest with the tuition fees as well. It's worth pointing out that most students who protest are actually part of the anti-cuts movement, so we're demonstrating about cuts to things such as disability allowance, public services and transport as well as against the privatisation of higher education, which is essentially what is being done.

ReputationRep:
    The battle has been lost, but the war is far from over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
    I wouldn't say the taxpayer is now on their side. I am now a student and was a taxpayer for years before, everyone who works that I know of opposes these propositions. I work part time but probably am not earning enough to pay substantial tax this year.

The results of the protests is that people do not feel alone in their opposition to these plans and it's more likely to stay in their conciousness effecting the next election. It's middle England's children who will be effected...I wonder how they will respond?

The fact that they had to rush the proposals through without a white paper or any adequate details of how they would be implemented shows me that the government understands how badly people oppose this and feared it's own MPs realising the new system was regressive (higher earning grads will pay LESS long term than those earning in the middle) and highly damaging to the universities, to social mobility and most importantly the economy.

The fact that even the Conservatives had problems getting their MPs to vote with the party line tells me that the protests were not all in vain. People will not forget this.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to break it to you, but the student vote isn't that powerful - in comparison to middle England, for example.
    Yes but the students my friend have parents, brothers, sisters and the like that are prospective undergraduates. Which, if memory serves is middle england? or am I wrong?

Secondly its actually not up to the taxpayers who gets in or not, sure most are taxpayers but you have everyone over the age of 18 that can prove Britain citizenship.

Besides when we did a local demo there were many of the working classes that came along and stood by us.... which i'm pretty sure were taxpayers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to break it to you, but the student vote isn't that powerful - in comparison to middle England, for example.
    It's middle Englandss kids who will have to pay, do you think they will be happy about that?

ReputationRep:
    You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
    No. You're wrong. The only thing negatively that came out of this is that the Gov'ts excuse is they don't give into violence. Oh Will Cleggy wait until the next election. He stirred up every student in uni or planning to, and what I noticed was lots of younger people (who can't vote yet) liked Clegg. Well, he has lost that support, and in a few years time these people will not be silenced and he will have no governmental control.

ReputationRep:
    LOL when i saw 'you failed, protesters' and Margaret Thatcher underneath

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.