Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    You're under the (wrong) impression that being in shape = having an amazingly flat and toned stomach/thighs etc. Also I asked for you to list shopped things about that photo which aren't done to whatever famous women you find curvy. Pretty sure things like that are airbrushed out of J-Lo, Beyonce or Kim Kardashian or <insert commonly labeled "thick" or curvy woman here> pictures all the time.

This woman (obviously not photoshopped) has a similar figure to most of the girls you're calling fat yet she has quite firm thighs and no stomach rolls and I'm pretty sure she's healthy. Curvy not fat.

See here for how there are different types of curvy as opposed to flat out being fat. In fact Maralyn Monroe would of made a good plus sized model in the picture below yet she's heralded as one of the most beautiful and curviest women ever. You can just tell by the face, arms, neck and thighs etc of the women you're calling fat that they are actually not fat.

Sorry mate, the woman in that picture is fat/chubby and would definitely be unfit.

Look at the roles of fat underneath her armpit. Look at how big her thighs are - they will chafe :eek:.

Here is a better scale of what is fat and all as those who you say are fat are actually clinically obese or hyper obese, not just overweight.

(Original post by Alex_Olney)
    Surely there are far more important things in women AND life than how much people weigh?

If you are truly that narrow minded, I am sorry, but you're going to have to accept that the human body is optimal with a little 'insurance' on it. Fat provides insulation, mass (not the Catholic kind) and fends off starvation in a life-threatening situation. Having no fat at all may be attractive in the eyes of the media and individuals such as yourself, but it is definitely not healthier.

You don't have to be a biologist to work that out.
    Well, although it looks petty and shallow at first sight, it is actually a very large problem for men for numerous reasons.
    Firstly, being chubby/fat says a lot about a persons character eg. lazy, lack self control, maybe comfort eating etc. So being only has negative connotations about a person. Now consider that you have to work, date, marry, and have children with these women meaning that their problems quickly become your problems as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Olney)
    Surely there are far more important things in women AND life than how much people weigh?

If you are truly that narrow minded, I am sorry, but you're going to have to accept that the human body is optimal with a little 'insurance' on it. Fat provides insulation, mass (not the Catholic kind) and fends off starvation in a life-threatening situation. Having no fat at all may be attractive in the eyes of the media and individuals such as yourself, but it is definitely not healthier.

You don't have to be a biologist to work that out.
    Well, although it looks petty and shallow at first sight, it is actually a very large problem for men for numerous reasons.
    Firstly, being chubby/fat says a lot about a persons character eg. lazy, lack self control, maybe comfort eating etc. So being only has negative connotations about a person. Now consider that you have to work, date, marry, and have children with these women meaning that their problems quickly become your problems as well.

ReputationRep:
    What I find quite worrying is that it's now considered liberating by some people to be overweight (which means "having more body fat than is optimally healthy"). Everyone seems to be drawing extremes: would you rather be an anorexic twig or massive?...Why can't we just aspire to have a healthy weight? Size 8/10/12 are massively overlooked sizes. Does every model have to be either size 6 or size 14?

Bravissimo is a good site for women with hourglass figures. Its clothes sizing system is unique: there is not only a number (eg 8, 10, 12) but a 'curviness rating' (i.e. curvy, very curvy), which is proof that you don't have to be overweight to be curvy.

No one is sneering at overweight women. But it doesn't seem good to promote extremes of weight - fat OR thin - when they both can have serious health implications. I doubt that the model would look so overweight if she was stood up - but I'm a normal weight and I know how much excess flab is healthy. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    I disagree with that statement. A person's weight doesn't reflect on a person's physical ability let alone their lifestyle or character. I think that's pretty narrow minded.

I have a high metabolism, eat loads of crap, sit around in my ass a lot, yet I'm still slim. So from a first POV I'd appear to look healthy with a good weight, but I'm actually a lazy greedy girl lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleT192)
    I disagree with that statement. A person's weight doesn't reflect on a person's physical ability let alone their lifestyle or character. I think that's pretty narrow minded.

I have a high metabolism, eat loads of crap, sit around in my ass a lot, yet I'm still slim. So from a first POV I'd appear to look healthy with a good weight, but I'm actually a lazy greedy girl lol.
    Well why would someone choose to be fat? Remember, being fat is a result of the lifestyle the person lives.
    As for yourself, you may be slim, but you will be very unfit which would be quite obvious when someone looks at you as you will lack any toning or definition.

ReputationRep:
    I hear this brought up every time fat people are mentioned and it's such rubbish! Whatever happened to getting to know the person?
    It's like me saying I'd never date a slim person because they must be a vain exercise freak with a fear of tasty food.

My boyfriend is a total fatty but he's very sporty (plays football, cricket and rugby) and mountain bikes frequently - he does a 6 hour bike ride for charity twice a year and gets through it with no breaks so he's perfectly physically fit. He also works 60-70 hours a week.
    ergo, not lazy, has self control and he's never miserable so I don't know if he comfort eats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    I hear this brought up every time fat people are mentioned and it's such rubbish! Whatever happened to getting to know the person?
    It's like me saying I'd never date a slim person because they must be a vain exercise freak with a fear of tasty food.

My boyfriend is a total fatty but he's very sporty (plays football, cricket and rugby) and mountain bikes frequently - he does a 6 hour bike ride for charity twice a year and gets through it with no breaks so he's perfectly physically fit. He also works 60-70 hours a week.
    ergo, not lazy, has self control and he's never miserable so I don't know if he comfort eats.
    He probably eats absolute **** which is probably detrimental to his sporting endeavor. Unless you're gonna be an absolute tool and tell me that he eats well too, how stupid do you think we are? I hate this garbage excuse women come out with, your fat percentage is a reflection of what you eat and the amount of exercise you perform with genetics playing a minor role. However there is no such thing as a genetic predisposition to being fat even if you exercise regularly. Stop bull****ting, your boyfriend does not exercise enough hence he is out of shape. It irritates me how so many seem to defy the laws of science so often, no you just eat too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleT192)

Natural metabolic rate varies very little from person and is actually more dependent upon diet. You may convince yourself you eat loads of rubbish but you probably dont eat that much. Outline a daily diet and it will probably be miniscule to what most overweight people consume.

Being fat is almost entirely dependent on lifestyle, what the **** else what it be dependent upon?!

ReputationRep:
    So don't ask us out and let the real men have us...

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that she is definitely overweight but she is still attractive. If she is happy with her size then leave her be. If a person feels beautiful then what does it matter if she weighs 7 stone or 27 stone? Albeit the 27 stone person may encounter many more health problems but they'd have to be ignorant or stupid not to realise this and take action.

Its sad that we categorise beauty by thin and fat and associate being attractive with being thin. Its all about how you feel within - that beauty will shine through in the end as cliche as that sounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)

What I said is perfectly true. To make it more simple : Why would someone choose to be fat?

Ok, lets forget about medical reasons as there are some people out there who can not lose weight/exercise, but for the vast majority, being fat is a choice.
    For your bf to be fat yet do all that means he must have a ****ing terrible diet, which again, is his choice and will be extremely bad for him. Did he ever think that changing his diet would result in him being better at those sports? However he does not because he is either too lazy or has not self control and wants to each garbage ergo proving me right.

(Original post by Trigger)
    So don't ask us out and let the real men have us...
    The real men? Sure.......how is that world of denial going? Probably riddled with diabetes and heart disease...:rolleyes:

(Original post by SketchyStuff)
    I'd say that she is definitely overweight but she is still attractive. If she is happy with her size then leave her be. If a person feels beautiful then what does it matter if she weighs 7 stone or 27 stone? Albeit the 27 stone person may encounter many more health problems but they'd have to be ignorant or stupid not to realise this and take action.

Its sad that we categorise beauty by thin and fat and associate being attractive with being thin. Its all about how you feel within - that beauty will shine through in the end as cliche as that sounds.
    So at what point do you think someone should be helped when they are living a life of denial?
    Also, it is not sad that we associate fat and thin with beauty..........THAT IS NATURE. No matter how hard you fight it, we are all still animals at the end of the day and will have some base level of instinctive urges that cannot be changed.

ReputationRep:
    Well she does have a bit of a spare tyre but doesn't stop her looking pretty and feeling confident. I say good on her, wish I felt as proud of my flabby self.

ReputationRep:
    What I said is perfectly true. To make it more simple : Why would someone choose to be fat?

Ok, lets forget about medical reasons as there are some people out there who can not lose weight/exercise, but for the vast majority, being fat is a choice.
    For your bf to be fat yet do all that means he must have a ****ing terrible diet, which again, is his choice and will be extremely bad for him. Did he ever think that changing his diet would result in him being better at those sports? However he does not because he is either too lazy or has not self control and wants to each garbage ergo proving me right.

The real men? Sure.......how is that world of denial going? Probably riddled with diabetes and heart disease...:rolleyes:

So at what point do you think someone should be helped when they are living a life of denial?
    Also, it is not sad that we associate fat and thin with beauty..........THAT IS NATURE. No matter how hard you fight it, we are all still animals at the end of the day and will have some base level of instinctive urges that cannot be changed.
    Real men have preferences boys have ill informed opinions :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    She is fat because she is lazy and eats badly.
    As for realistic - how?
    As I said, she simply has a poor diet and eats badly. In a world where you can get any information you want in minutes and have access to numerous fitness facilities, she has no excuse to look like that bar her own personal flaws. People like you simply make the problem worse as you pretend it is fine as a way of justifying being lazy yourself.
    Am I trying to make you 'fat'?
    No. So how am I making ANYTHING worse. If people are large, they're large. So GET OVER IT.
    How DARE you say assume that being 'fat' is automatically linked to being lazy. Yes, it can be, I don't deny that. But there are people who never stop working, or looking after their kids etc, who have a few pounds on them. What about post birth women? You want them to just magically snap back into shape?

How ignorant can you be.

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, I doubt the media/public would be as kind to a bloke who is that overweight!

ReputationRep:
    She's pretty, but I wouldn't describe her as curvy.

ReputationRep:
    How is number 5 obese (I bet her BMI doesn't class her as obese)....and as for the normal. I think she's skinny and the "curvey" one normal.

ReputationRep:
    so much faaaaat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt)
    Am I trying to make you 'fat'?
    No. So how am I making ANYTHING worse. If people are large, they're large. So GET OVER IT.
    How DARE you say assume that being 'fat' is automatically linked to being lazy. Yes, it can be, I don't deny that. But there are people who never stop working, or looking after their kids etc, who have a few pounds on them. What about post birth women? You want them to just magically snap back into shape?

How ignorant can you be.
    You are condoning being lazy and unhealthy as you say that is 'realistic'.
    If people are fat, 90% of the time they have issues, hence why they are large because why else do they choose to be fat?

Post birth weight?
    Hit the gym.
    Look at Gisele Bündchen, Heidi Klum etc. Of course they will lose the weight faster as it is their career on the line, but they show that post birth weight is easily solved with a bit of effort.

Sadly, I am not the one looking ignorant.

(Original post by Trigger)
    Real men have preferences boys have ill informed opinions :fyi:
    Yes, and a real man's preference is someone that does not reassemble that Michelin man, but a woman who is feminine and is not lazy or has emotional issues.

ReputationRep:
    You are condoning being lazy and unhealthy as you say that is 'realistic'.
    If people are fat, 90% of the time they have issues, hence why they are large because why else do they choose to be fat?

Post birth weight?
    Hit the gym.
    Look at Gisele Bündchen, Heidi Klum etc. Of course they will lose the weight faster as it is their career on the line, but they show that post birth weight is easily solved with a bit of effort.

Sadly, I am not the one looking ignorant.

Yes, and a real man's preference is someone that does not reassemble that Michelin man, but a woman who is feminine and is not lazy or has emotional issues.
    Yeeeeeeeah because you say so?

Honestly i wish you would pick a new subject to troll about, its gets very boring.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.