Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mint123456)
    I guess so. And yes my posh cousin got Ugg boots in her stocking :O.
    How big was her stocking? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    How big was her stocking? :eek:
    Bigger than her probably! She's only 9...

ReputationRep:
    Normally I get one from my mum and one from my dad, but this year I've asked to not get any-I usually ask for money and things for trains to parties, football tournaments, etc, and there's nothing I really need at the moment, so it's not an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I generally get a 'main present', for example in past years iPods, phones, nice jewelry etc and then a few little presents that my mum has seen and thought I'd like or things I need replacing (pyjamas, dressing gown etc). I usually ask for the main present, but the others are surprises. My mum gets carried away with christmas, even when we had very little money she'd always find a way to spoil us.

I've never counted how many presents, as I don't really care how many I get, my favourite part is seeing the reaction of my parents and siblings receiving the presents I've bought them.

ReputationRep:
    20-30 ish I guess Mainly stocking fillers though! I'll count how many I get this year to see

ReputationRep:
    This thread is materialistic beyond belief

ReputationRep:
    Yep,tsr are full of spoilt brats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mint123456)
    I guess so. And yes my posh cousin got Ugg boots in her stocking :O.
    ugg boots in a stocking :eek: and I just read down and you said she was nine she'll grow out of them really quick even if they were a main present!

ReputationRep:
    Normally a 1 expensive present along with some less expensive ones. Altogether probably like 20.
    But God not 40. That's fairly insane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amuroray)
    Yep,tsr are full of spoilt brats
    Brat refers to a badly behaved child. I'm far from badly behaved thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it doesn't matter on the number? I'd be happy with one present if it was something I really wanted.

Doesn't Dudley in the first Harry Potter book get really upset because he gets one less present for his birthday than the year before and his mum tries to persuade him that it doesn't matter because he has bigger presents this year? But he still doesn't care.

This thread kind of reminds me of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    Surely it doesn't matter on the number? I'd be happy with one present if it was something I really wanted.

Doesn't Dudley in the first Harry Potter book get really upset because he gets one less present for his birthday than the year before and his mum tries to persuade him that it doesn't matter because he has bigger presents this year? But he still doesn't care.

This thread kind of reminds me of him.
    :rolleyes: Read the thread. I'm nothing like Dudley Dursely. Unlike Dudley Dursley, I return the favour to my father. AND I don't care if I get less or more. I have already clearly stated that. Also, this thread is supposed to be about the gifts you guys receive not me. But thanks to people jumping to conclusions, i've had to make it about me to justify why I receive so much, which may I remind you is not the purpose of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    A big present for me still cant be worth over £100.

Havnt got a big present in a few years and we are not the family to give money at xmas so this year I wont be getting much. I do want big things but I realise I have to get them myself and save up for them.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Read the thread. I'm nothing like Dudley Dursely. Unlike Dudley Dursley, I return the favour to my father. AND I don't care if I get less or more. I have already clearly stated that. Also, this thread is supposed to be about the gifts you guys receive not me. But thanks to people jumping to conclusions, i've had to make it about me to justify why I receive so much, which may I remind you is not the purpose of the thread.
    I understand where you're coming from, i've started thread that ended up me sounded like a spoilt brat before, some people just don't like to be reminded that there are others in the world that are better off than them. I know you said you didn't know what the norm is, but in truth when people come from all different types of social classes they are going to receive different amounts and so are never going to find out the average number. It's sometimes social etiquette to just shut up about things that could makes others upset or jealous as it isn't sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    Thats ****ing insane!?!

I get 0. Maybe its because my parents aren't that well off, though it's better than taking out loans that they cannot repay. At least they are hard working citizens, not living off the dole.

ReputationRep:
    In recent years I have got none and been given some money to spend instead which im incredibly happy with. Different families can afford different things and have different ideas about how many presents a child should get, it doesnt make them a spoilt brat if their parents decide to get them many gifts and they are grateful for it, what does make them spoilt is if they complain that they didnt get what they want, if there isnt enough presents or if some of the presents are "stupid" in their eyes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start binning stuff Eg, throw out old dressing gown, slippers.

Obviously some gifts are fairly small (perfumes, jewelry).

I don't get many gifts on the large side so that's not a problem. Maybe 1 or 2.

I think the main problem is storing dvds. I'm running out of space
    Ahh I see, so some of the presents are like replacements for old stuff?

DVD's are a nightmare to store; one of my friends has a wall covered in shelves stacked up with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racaha)
    Ahh I see, so some of the presents are like replacements for old stuff?

DVD's are a nightmare to store; one of my friends has a wall covered in shelves stacked up with them!
    Aren't they just. Hopefully within the next few years, the creator people will invent something that's smaller than a dvd. Like a sim card as a dvd or something, ha :p:

ReputationRep:
    My dad gives me a £500 limit and then asks me to send him a list of stuff I want.
    So it varies a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere between 15-30. Admittedly slot is stocking fillers and then I'll yet three main presents as such. My birthday is like a week after Christmas too and I don't usually celebrate it because all my presents are combined

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.