Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What about "sidemål" and "hovedmål"?
    I am waiting for a translated certificate, but I hate to wait because of my complaint on the Norwegian exam grade; two grades below my assassment.
    (I don't think that's because of my teacher being too nice, because I got the same on both the assassment and exam in nynorsk...)

ReputationRep:
    I called it Norwegian (first choice form) and Norwegian (second choice form).

ReputationRep:
    Did you write your UCAS application yourself, or did you get AtP to do it?

ReputationRep:
    There isn't that much to write to be honest. It was a little confusing in the beginning but once I understood how it all worked (AtP helped me), I could do it all by myself no problem. The 1st time I applied AtP did most of it for me, but the 2nd time I did it all myself.

The most difficult part is writing the personal statement.

I'm more than happy to help you with your application if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Okay... did you apply twice? Why?
    I don't know squat about what to write in my personal statement though; I haven't even started with that.

ReputationRep:
    Uni wanted me to get 5 in R2, I only got 3 (V10) in the first privatisteksamen. In my defense it was roughly 2 years since I had done 2MX, so it was very tough to begin with.

I nailed a 5 in R2 November (H10) and the uni finally accepted me.

Basically I failed to get an unconditional offer last year, so I reapplied last autumn for 2011. Atleast I know everything about applying to unis in the UK as a Norwegian now. :P

ReputationRep:
    What kind of English qualifications did you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stifa)
    What kind of English qualifications did you have?
    I have a 4 in English from VK1 IKT-driftsfag, which was back in 2005. Didn't have English at Allmenn påbygging, so that's my counting result.

You can see my IELTS results a couple of pages back. Uni of Bath made me do it (the offer said so), as the only option since I didn't get a 5 in English.

ReputationRep:
    What IELTS score did you get again? Furthermore, are there any good books for the purpose of enhancing my English proficiency?

Also, should I bother with eliminating my 3 on the Norwegian exam? It's my only 3, but I am going to a "folkehøgskole" this fall, so I have plenty of time to take up a subject or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stifa)
    What IELTS score did you get again? Furthermore, are there any good books for the purpose of enhancing my English proficiency?
    You can see my IELTS results a couple of pages back. Uni of Bath made me do it (the offer said so), as the only option since I didn't get a 5 in English.

My girlfriend is from Northern Ireland, so I get a lot of practice from that. Apart from that I read a lot of English forums and news papers/sites. There's no magic answer to it, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I do read a lot of English forums; heck, I barely touch any Norwegian ones. Google is a swell ressource for finding such information, tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stifa)
    I do read a lot of English forums; heck, I barely touch any Norwegian ones. Google is a swell ressource for finding such information, tough.
    I'm just wondering. Are you just done with VGS or has it been a while in the making (privatisteksamen?), applying to uni's in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I graduated this june. I'm spending my next year doing hovedmål as a privatist (if the remarking goes straight to hell) and preparing for the IELTS, as well as attending a music programme at Sunnhordland folkehøgskole. In short, I'm attempting to remove every reason for a condition on my offer(s).

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    If you apply to a uni like UCL, they might give you tough conditions, but generally you should be able to get unconditional offers straight away from all the uni's I've seen you mention.

I'm just staying at home all summer before I move to Bath in the middle of September.

ReputationRep:
    What about other red bricks? My choices are now Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Essex and Glasgow. Essex, Manchester and Edinburgh requires a 4.5 average, wheras Birmingham has no info whatsoever about average grade requirements. Glasgow does only require a 4.0. I find Edinburgh to be pretty strict about their requirements, because the SQA Higher mathematics is in my opinion easier than R1.

A 6.0 result on the IELTS is what I aim for during this winter, and my qualifications should be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    All those are in the same 'ball park'. If your average is 4.8 then you'll be fine. Their sites will probably say what IELTS score they demand.

The only thing I would do if I was you, would be to apply to one of the uni's that require you to get 5, or close to 5, in average (like UCL). You never know, you might be lucky.

My condition from Uni of Bath was to get a minimum of 6.5 overall. Courses that require you to communicate a lot with others might require higher scores than ~6, but with engineering it doesn't matter as much. :P

Personally, I didn't prepare at all for the IELTS test. There are some courses around which some go to, to prepare for the test, but I can't see the point of them unless you don't have confidence with the English language. The test centres are full of others who also want to study abroad, so you won't be alone in what you plan to use the certificate for.

ReputationRep:
    If I resit the Norwegian exam, and get a 6, I might get a 4.91 average instead. However, UCL doesn't state squat about what they expect as an average grade. Oxford require 5.0 as a minimum in every subject though.

When did you get your offers? Do they appear already in february/march?

ReputationRep:
    I got my offers in the middle of December (I applied just days after UCAS opened the applications for 2011). However, getting the unconditional offer took from the middle of January to the 17th of May. I only applied to Bath btw.

Note that how fast each uni is, varies A LOT. Some other guy at diskusjon.no applied through UCAS one week, and had his offer the next.

You might wanna check out http://www3.imperial.ac.uk aswell - it's a pretty good uni.

ReputationRep:
    Neither imperial or UCL has the sort of degree I'm looking for. I'm going to apply in mid-december, judging by wether or not I have to resit that Norwegian exam (I'm probably getting the remark result by next monday.)

I'll send my application in mid-december If I don't need to take that Norwegian exam again. The V2011 exam paper was horrid, though; it war tenfolds worse than any earlier papers.

ReputationRep:
    I think many unis would want 6.5 on IELTS, so maybe you should aim for that instead of 6? (can't imagine it being very hard to achieve though)

And just in case a Norwegian reads this forum in the future thinking about applying to UCL; You'll need to have had (at least) 3 subjects at 3rd grade level for them to consider you, so no point in wasting one of your choices on them unless you have that/plan to get it done (something to do with their university guidelines, so all of the 3rd grade level subjects won't have to be relevant for your application subject, lol).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.