Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mizikei)
    Just heard back from my teacher. He says he can't think of any symbolism in Curious Incident and that he thinks a question on symbolism is unlikely. Looks like if it does come up, I'll definitely be doing Curious for Sect. A.
    Thank you
    Yeah there really is not that much symbolism in the book although it would be great for something like The Great Gatsby - lots of symbolism there!
    It could some up, if it does hopefully the second question will be more appealing!

Good luck with the revision and hope everthing goes well tomorrrow - fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas for symbolism in Keats' La Belle Dame Sans Merci and The Eve of St Agnes??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mizikei)
    Awh! Don't suppose you do Curious do you?
    If it doesn't come up, I'm sure you can still use it anyways
    Indeed I do, but I feel its definitely best for me to answer section A on Curious as my other choices are Dubliners, Tennyson and Browning, which seem to have more in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyyy24)
    Indeed I do, but I feel its definitely best for me to answer section A on Curious as my other choices are Dubliners, Tennyson and Browning, which seem to have more in common.
    Let's hope we don't get a rubbish question on Curious like last year then !

The thing is any aspect of a text can be interpreted as a symbol if you can relate it to something well. I provided some symbolic things on curious incident on the other page.

ReputationRep:
      Hey guys, I've been reading through this thread and it's been really helpful! Also, thanks to the person who posted the Gatsby past questions. I was wondering if anyone else has been doing The Great Gatsby for Section A, and Enduring Love, Browning and TROTAM for Section B? Thanks! I'm also retaking

ReputationRep:
      I think symbolism has too much as a decent question for it to not be included at some point, especially considering you get another option to choose from too..

I've given my left hand major hand cramp so break time :shot:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      The thing is any aspect of a text can be interpreted as a symbol if you can relate it to something well. I provided some symbolic things on curious incident on the other page.
      Would you mind telling me on which page it is one, there are so many pages!!
      Thanks

ReputationRep:
      Good luck tomorrow everyone, I'm nervous but there's nothing I can do now so I think I'll take a day off

(Original post by Jen_17)
        Would you mind telling me on which page it is one, there are so many pages!!
        Thanks
        16. There is also one post there with Gatsby symbols too.

ReputationRep:
        I'm doing The Great Gatsby for part A and The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and The Lady of Shallot for part B.

Im pretty sure the predicted chapters for gatsby are 1, ,2, 6 and 8, but what about the rest?

ReputationRep:
        Anyone got any ideas about which Kite Runner chapters may come up?:confused:

ReputationRep:
        Any ideas what might come up in Sect A part B for Curious?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Daaanz)
        Anyone got any ideas about which Kite Runner chapters may come up?:confused:
        I can't remember what came up last year for it but my feelings are one of the first 8 or the last 8 chapters as they seem to have come up very little so far but that doesn't really narrow it down much :p:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by dyhtps)
        I would love for Chapter 1 or 7 to come up for Great Gatsby, preferably chapter 7 :gah:
        I didn't study chapter 7 as it's the spec question D: what could you put for it!?

ReputationRep:
        It's an afternoon exam, right?

(Original post by TWF)
          It's an afternoon exam, right?
          Indeed it is.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by esachica)
          I didn't study chapter 7 as it's the spec question D: what could you put for it!?
          Some of the key things I have down are:

Myrtle's car accident mirroring the accident in chapter 2
          The plaza hotel meeting mirroring the other small meeting, it serves as a good way for Nick to find out useful information
          Use of memories: Nick goes back to his 13th birthday
          We learn more about Gatsby's past from Tom's voice
          Nick describes Myrtle's accident in a grotesque way, almost like the car has attacked her it's so violent

The green light over the water returns -> Symbolic

(Not too sure about this one) In a way there is dramatic irony because only us, Gatsby and Daisy know the truth about the accident which is quite significant later on when Wilson kills Gatsby

Themes:
          Social status - Tom tries to make himself superior over Gatsby
          Past Vs Present - Acceptance that you can't escape the past
          Materialism - the way Daisy treats her daughter

----------

Some of those may not be very good points but I like Chapter 7 because a few things happen in it and if you had to you could blag in an exam :ninja:

Unless something drastic happens with the questions though I intend on doing kite runner for Section A as the Sec A part B kite runner questions always seem a lot more answerable than the others :indiff:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Genocidal)
          Indeed it is.
          Awesome, I can have a late night revising without any effects then.

My prediction is, one of Symbilism, Setting or Openings will come up. I hope to get back to this post tomorrow and say I was right!

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by TWF)
          Awesome, I can have a late night revising without any effects then.

My prediction is, one of Symbilism, Setting or Openings will come up. I hope to get back to this post tomorrow and say I was right!
          I hope for symbolism or openings, I never really know what to write for settings :erm:

If it's openings I may have to abandon my plan for a kite runner section A, I could write for bloomin england on the opening of kite runner :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.