Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    Haha yeah I will! We have to buy labcoats and stuff but we don't have lockers yet, so the gloves and labcoat will have to be taken home ewwwww!

Apparently the smell of the embalming chemicals and formaldehyde and stuff has a side effect of making you hungry haha!
    Your university doesn't supply its students with labcoats????

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Neuroscience at UCL, King's, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Bristol. Is anyone else applying for anything similar there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    Our's doesn't. We're expected to buy our own.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I had to buy mine.

Feeling a little anxious about the practical and writing the reports, haven't done anything like that in a while.

ReputationRep:
    6 hours of labs tomorrow. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    We get free labcoats for lab work, but we have to buy the DR lab coats.

Had my first session today, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still kinda creepy seeing the woman's face...her eyes and mouth were slighty ajar......creeeeeepppy

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I want to ask the graduated biomeds on pros and cons of doing a lab-based project or dissertation. And also why you chose to do a lab-based project or dissertation? And finally current and future biomeds: what are you hoping to do; lab-based project or dissertation and please justify.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys if i do an non-acredicted course for example at manchester, can i do my top-up modules somewhere else and at the same time do training so i have an ibms accredited degree and HPC registered because i've done training at the same time?
    Do you get paid more to do research or work in the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    Applying for biomed this year i already have bbb at a level, 3 marks of an A in chemistry, 10 marks of in bio and just need to resit one exam physical education got 100% at AS but didnt revise for a2 exam and got a u but still ended up with a B. Taking up politics at As aswell. Gonna apply to

Kings-AAB/PASS-1st choice and an awesome uni
    Queen-AAB- secod choice
    Sheffield-AAB-4th
    Surrey-AAB-3rd
    Dundee-ABB-5th

Wanna study dentistry post grad so have chosen universities which all do dentistry apart from surrey.

Got work experince in hospital lab and mentoryear 10 and 11s with practical lessons.
    Also have work experince at a doctors, dental surgery and dental lab.
    Work at a charity shop voluntarily, play cricket, football and also do boxing and jiu jitsu.
    Been reading a book called the stem cell controversy and have mentioned that in my personal statment. Also mentioned areas of A level study i found interesting.

Got my personal statment checked by a freind studying bio/natural sceinces at cambridge and he said it was really good, so fingers crossed

what are my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ijaz)
    Applying for biomed this year i already have bbb at a level, 3 marks of an A in chemistry, 10 marks of in bio and just need to resit one exam physical education got 100% at AS but didnt revise for a2 exam and got a u but still ended up with a B. Taking up politics at As aswell. Gonna apply to

Kings-AAB/PASS-1st choice and an awesome uni
    Queen-AAB- secod choice
    Sheffield-AAB-4th
    Surrey-AAB-3rd
    Dundee-ABB-5th

Wanna study dentistry post grad so have chosen universities which all do dentistry apart from surrey.

Got work experince in hospital lab and mentoryear 10 and 11s with practical lessons.
    Also have work experince at a doctors, dental surgery and dental lab.
    Work at a charity shop voluntarily, play cricket, football and also do boxing and jiu jitsu.
    Been reading a book called the stem cell controversy and have mentioned that in my personal statment. Also mentioned areas of A level study i found interesting.

Got my personal statment checked by a freind studying bio/natural sceinces at cambridge and he said it was really good, so fingers crossed

what are my chances?
    As good as any, they are not going to look for amazing people with loads of work experience, it is quite a competitive course at certain unis but on the whole they are not really going to care to much about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    yeah I had to buy mine.

Feeling a little anxious about the practical and writing the reports, haven't done anything like that in a while.
    Yeah I'm kinda worried about that too. This will be my first experience of proper scheduled practicals and write ups :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    Yeah I'm kinda worried about that too. This will be my first experience of proper scheduled practicals and write ups :/
    Yeah, and you have to be straight to the point and concise, and still write a lot of detail to make at least a couple of pages.

And then you've got Harvard Referencing and Bibliography to think about. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Yeah, and you have to be straight to the point and concise, and still write a lot of detail to make at least a couple of pages.

And then you've got Harvard Referencing and Bibliography to think about. :sigh:
    Oh gosh yes, one mistake and it's plagiarism haha
    Well at least....nope can't think of the immediate silver lining...:dong:

UNLESS

Spoiler:
    Show
    Us biomeds can find a way to take over the world with a pipette and the skills of Harvard Referencing:gah:

ReputationRep:
    Biomed has made me very good at transferring small volumes of liquid between containers.

ReputationRep:
    oh god Harvard Referencing what a annoying little thing

ReputationRep:
    I hate spectrophotometer's they can die for all i care :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    I hate spectrophotometer's they can die for all i care :indiff:
    I had a practical with them Wednesday. Completely fluffed it, 3 different machines gave all different readings

ReputationRep:
    I have a spectocbatowritetherestofit practical on Tuesday, and the briefing for it today...By the looks of it, it won't be much fun :emo: But we learnt how to set up a microscope last Tuesday and looked at blood slides we'd prepared. That was entertaining although seeing the cells so big kinda freaked me out a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warning.shot)
    I had a practical with them Wednesday. Completely fluffed it, 3 different machines gave all different readings
    Did you zero the machines properly? 2nd year practicals for me were pretty much chain yourself to one of them and make friends with it...

ReputationRep:
    I loved using the spectro-whatsits! I had my first practical using them along with automatic pipettes this week, and really enjoyed it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.