Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    Well, we haven't really started discussing Heart of Darkness yet, so you could still read that?
    I won't be able to start reading until next Saturday (uni interview on Friday and I can't concentrate on anything else!)

ReputationRep:
    I've finished it...eventually! :dance: From the sounds of this thread I seem to be the only one...or am I?

So when do we get this discussion started?

ReputationRep:
    I've just stumbled upon this and it seems that it's leaving it a tad late for everyone to discuss the book... wouldn't it be better if, say, everyone tried to read the chosen book in the first two weeks or so of the month? And then everyone would have sufficient time to discuss it

ReputationRep:
    I just read it today on the train - personally I don't see any problem in holding off choosing a new book til we're sick of discussing the old one, we might not get 12 books a year done but it doesn't matter hugely?

What does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    I just read it today on the train - personally I don't see any problem in holding off choosing a new book til we're sick of discussing the old one, we might not get 12 books a year done but it doesn't matter hugely?

What does everyone else think?
    I would agree, I don't think we need to be too strict. At certain times of year (exams etc) we're inevitably going to be busier anyway.

I have to admit that ive still only half finished it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    I would agree, I don't think we need to be too strict. At certain times of year (exams etc) we're inevitably going to be busier anyway.

I have to admit that ive still only half finished it
    Zigackly. For we are not robots!

Although maybe we need our supreme leader to consent to this deviation from the plan.

I rather enjoyed the book. Better than Apocalypse Now :top:

ReputationRep:
    supreme leader has

major exams coming. deviate away. I announce Potiron (:p:) as my leader-in-waiting, purely because he's purple shnurple coloured.

brb- need to phail chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Aces. I'll borrow the book on Saturday and have a rocking weekend in my room, reading... seriously, I like reading too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    supreme leader has

major exams coming. deviate away. I announce Potiron (:p:) as my leader-in-waiting, purely because he's purple shnurple coloured.

brb- need to phail chemistry.
    When do you finish your exams?

And is anybody horrifically opposed to waiting another week to see how many people have read it by then and get discussin'?

ReputationRep:

And is anybody horrifically opposed to waiting another week to see how many people have read it by then and get discussin'?
    Not sure about James. :unsure: but I still haven’t read it. :sigh:

But the end of this week my exams will be finished, so I’ll be able to read it at Saturday.

ReputationRep:

Oh no, our school's prelims start next week! :mob: But I've only got AH History and a Politics NAB at that time, so hopefully it'll be fine. You guys'll never know if I'm winging my way through this discussion anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    Oh no, our school's prelims start next week! :mob: But I've only got AH History and a Politics NAB at that time, so hopefully it'll be fine. You guys'll never know if I'm winging my way through this discussion anyway!
    AH Chemistry, Physics, English AND Biology

gah. :grumble:

mine finishes on the 8th...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    AH Chemistry, Physics, English AND Biology

gah. :grumble:

mine finishes on the 8th...
    :hide: You're doing four Advanced Highers? What possessed you to do such a thing?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to skip January. Not much time left and working in a publishers for the next two weeks reading their books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    I've finished it...eventually! :dance: From the sounds of this thread I seem to be the only one...or am I?

So when do we get this discussion started?
    I finished it about 5 days or so after it was announced. sorry :p:

Sounds good! It does seem to be an awfully long time of quiet before we can discuss it though... maybe next time we have a slightly different system?

EDIT: Just thinking - would it work for feb if we have another 'discussion of the book' thread where anyone who has finished it can discuss it and others who haven't can just stay clear to avoid this? Not sure if that's a bit of a cr*p idea though...

Good luck with your exams James!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    I finished it about 5 days or so after it was announced. sorry :p:
    That's lightning quick reading! I'm way too lazy busy to read that fast. Seems we might be of the few discussing it though.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't started HoD I have read it before anyway....not that I remember much detail.

I don't even have exams or anything to blamehaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Sounds good! It does seem to be an awfully long time of quiet before we can discuss it though... maybe next time we have a slightly different system?

EDIT: Just thinking - would it work for feb if we have another 'discussion of the book' thread where anyone who has finished it can discuss it and others who haven't can just stay clear to avoid this? Not sure if that's a bit of a cr*p idea though...

Good luck with your exams James!
    I think it's a good idea, but give it a week before setting up a discussion thread? I really don't think we should be leaving people out especially when there's exams on, even by just getting well ahead with the discussions like. I think we should hold off choosing a new book for a bit for the same reason. Were there plans afoot for making the choices themed?

Let me know if you strongly disagree

I've had to give my copy of HoD back to the library but I could go and get it out again, they would only let me have it for a week even though they have loads

Good luck to everybody doing exams

ReputationRep:
    I saw heart of darkness in waterstone's the other day and could not think for the life of me why for some reason I felt like I needed to get it! Exams have only just finished for me, so maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow morning, read it and post here tomorrow night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inconceivable)
    I still haven't started HoD I have read it before anyway....not that I remember much detail.

I don't even have exams or anything to blamehaha
    Exactly this!

I don't know why it is, but everytime I want to make something a priority, it ends up at the bottom of the list I'm going to stop reading all the other books I've been reading and just sit tomorrow morning and get through it, hopefully will be done tomorrow!

And I think the weeks extention as well as holding off the choosing of another book before we're all finished is a great idea.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.