Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want one but I'll feel like I'm abandoning the good side and going over to the dark side

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I started reading more after I got my Kindle. It's smaller than a book so I can almost always fit it into my bag, the books are cheaper (if not free), and it's great for travelling abroad as books are heavy and take up room. I always try and buy physical copies of the books I like, though, as I love print. £89 is a great price as well! I'm jealous as I got mine from America about a year before they came out here. A friend from over there recommended it to me, and it was a good deal more expensive. >_< I got to pay US book prices for a while though. That was nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLARA_)
    yes definitely! i like the recommendations amazon give you and the lists of free books are endless... all the classics are free, so I have lots of Austen and Dickens to get through!
    ...genuinely the best news I've heard all day lol. I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas, and I am a classicophile when it comes to literature. Goodbye, post-xmas-day social life...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty)
    ...genuinely the best news I've heard all day lol. I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas, and I am a classicophile when it comes to literature. Goodbye, post-xmas-day social life...!
    haha, this is what i'm like! there's literally 100s of free books! its heaven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLARA_)
    haha, this is what i'm like! there's literally 100s of free books! its heaven
    Eeeeeexcellent it will never take the place in my heart reserved for my lovely hefty real-book collection...but I'm very much looking forward to playing with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Someone fill me in, are there places to get free books for Kindle? All I see on Amazon is Kindle books for £5 (more expensive than the paperback copy) and puts me in a ALL CAPS RAAAAAAAAAAGE!

I've seen a couple of sites that offer free books but seem to be arbitrary books or really old ones outside of copyright restrictions.
    Copyright still applies to ebooks, so you can only legally find books that are out of copyright or the author has given their express permission that the book is allowed to be distributed for free. That's usually the case with new authors on Amazon and if it isn't, said new authors tend to price their books very cheaply for Kindle anyway as there are no printing/packaging/distribution costs to bump the price up.

Classics are obviously out of copyright so this is where people tend to start to bump up their library, which is a huge saving compared to paperback prices (free, versus ~£6? Yes please!).

You won't be able to legally find books that are still in copyright for free.

(Original post by Darren-M)
      Copyright still applies to ebooks, so you can only legally find books that are out of copyright or the author has given their express permission that the book is allowed to be distributed for free. That's usually the case with new authors on Amazon and if it isn't, said new authors tend to price their books very cheaply for Kindle anyway as there are no printing/packaging/distribution costs to bump the price up.

Classics are obviously out of copyright so this is where people tend to start to bump up their library, which is a huge saving compared to paperback prices (free, versus ~£6? Yes please!).

You won't be able to legally find books that are still in copyright for free.
      Nice one, buuuuuuuuuuuuuddy.

ReputationRep:
      Yes. I can take as many books with me wherever I go, which helps if I need to go on a trip somewhere as it lightens the load slightly. The books are a little cheaper than in the shops and I have more than recouped the cost of the device in the savings that I've made since I got it. A lot of the books are free as well, which is brilliant as it allows you access to a lot of classics that you probably wouldn't have bought for yourself otherwise.

ReputationRep:
      I've been unsure about getting one too. My mum was going to get me one as a treat for doing well in my exams after first year but she wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not and am still in two minds! I love books, but it does seem much more convinient. The main factor that puts me off is that a large amount of my reading is done by the pool or actually sat in the pool on holiday! Obviously I wouldn't be able to do that with a kindle.

That said, I had a mess around with my flatmates and I did like it. The screen actually looks like paper (a bright screen was another off-putting factor) and I like the way it tells you how far in you are etc. Not sure....

ReputationRep:
      My dad has one and uses it quite a lot! He's a massive reader so he still manages to buy a load of books as well, it's pretty insane..

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ritchie888)
      Someone fill me in, are there places to get free books for Kindle? All I see on Amazon is Kindle books for £5 (more expensive than the paperback copy) and puts me in a ALL CAPS RAAAAAAAAAAGE!

I've seen a couple of sites that offer free books but seem to be arbitrary books or really old ones outside of copyright restrictions.
      you can get pretty much every book on torrent.

ReputationRep:
      I would definitely reccomend, especially if you like classics as all free! I still don't use it as my primary reading vehicle (in want of a better word), as I still use printed books for the majority as I have a good library to go to plus my current collection (physical collection, that is) but it is so easy to use and keep good literature in plus saving money with free/discounted books.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Daydreamer18)
      The main factor that puts me off is that a large amount of my reading is done by the pool or actually sat in the pool on holiday! Obviously I wouldn't be able to do that with a kindle.
      Presumably, you have to be careful when reading a book in the pool? I'd imagine it is fairly easy to ruin a book that way, so just have the same care for your kindle and it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
      They also don't hurt if you drop it on your face which I do a lot when I read at night and I'm sure someone else as foolish as me.

ReputationRep:
      I read more now, because I don't have to have a MASSIVE bag to take a book with me if I'm going somewhere. Also good if you're looking for a specific part of the book, like for quoting etc... because you can search for it instead of flicking through the ENTIRE thing to find 1 line.

ReputationRep:
      Because I have an e-reader doesn't mean I don't read paperbacks anymore. It just means I don't have to carry all of them around all the time. I also use it to study, I put all the journal articles I need to read, because it's a lot easier to read on it than on a laptop screen. My Sony allows me to write on it, so I can even take notes on the articles and export them on my laptop afterwards - I wouldn't dare writing anything on a real book!

ReputationRep:
      Good kit.
      Lighter and the books are free (well...).
      Combine that with the free 3G interent worldwide and it's perfect for those that travel lots.
      I use it for gmail, facebook, as a guideook (Lonely Planet pdfs) and for work (notes). Oh...and to read.

Not so great for books where you need to flick backwards and forwards to keep checking/referencing things - so i'm not sure how great it would be for study - but for my purposes, it's perfect.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Minimalist__)
      Presumably, you have to be careful when reading a book in the pool? I'd imagine it is fairly easy to ruin a book that way, so just have the same care for your kindle and it should be fine.
      Yeah, normally when my brother jumps in and soaks me and my book! But then it's just a case of letting it dry off, whereas with an electronic item that cost the best part of 100 quid, I can imagine it's not quite that easy! Plus me and my mum nearly always have to throw books from holiday away due to water damage or the sun melting the glue, so I can't imagine those conditions are great for kindles!

ReputationRep:
      This thread is making me seriously lust after a Kindle, they sound way better than I expected them to. Don't know if I can justify the money on books, though. :nooo:

ReputationRep:
      what's the battery life like?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.