University of Liverpool Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by HollyGx
My choices are:
1). Melville Grove
2). Philharmonic
3). Mulberry
I went in order of how many you'd be sharing a bathroom with :P (Melville - 4, Philharmonic - 5 and Mulberry 6 (max)). I wanted to be on campus as I'm doing Occupational Therapy so will have high contact hours. I never actually went to see any on-campus halls, just off campus (as I was sure I was going to go off campus at the time). I didn't choose Prospect Point as I'd prefer to keep the extra money I'd have to spend on an en-suite for nights out on the town.
Only, after reading this thread I'm worried! I was worried anyway that on campus wouldn't have people my age as it's more postgrad people that go on-campus. And now apparently it doesn't have much atmosphere. I guess it's not the end of the world, I'd still meet people and I wouldn't mind walking over to their halls/getting a bus to them (if they're off campus). I just need a bit of reassurance! How is it? Who else is going? Are people up for going on a night out/get togethers?
I know I'll meet people on freshers, and my boyfriend's 2nd and 3rd choices are Melville so there'd at least be 1 person.
I'm sooo excited! Hope I get in, fingers crossed!

Im 21 and stayed on campus this year but everyone else in my flat was 18 or 19 and those in the main block of mulberry were mainly 18-19 years old as well so I really wouldn't worry and as for the atmosphere we had plenty of it :biggrin: dont panic :biggrin:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 321
Original post by geeksandtherest

Original post by geeksandtherest
Hi, there

I also applied for the studio flat in the Grand Central building and was in the same exact situation as you mention with the varations of cost calculation when I received the tentancy agreement. My best advice to you would be to cancel the contract immediately and get your deposite back. To book for the an affordable shared accommodation (ensite) such as Opal Court. Otherwise you risk having financial difficulties later on as the amount they are asking for is way too much for a student. It will also work reasonable in future when sharing a flat with other students rather than coming back to a studio flat on your own after an evening out or a long day at uni.

Hope that helps.

Hi,
I was also thinking of the cancellation
Thanks for your replay
Original post by tink_89
you're a vet med student :smile: heyyy. have you been on the vet med thread on here? or our facebook group? link for fb group on my signature if not, look forward to meeting you in september. been here this year on the new prevet course and stayed in halls (tudor close,mulberry court),
looking for private with one of my flatmates for this september though :biggrin:
x

Hi! I noticed that you stayed in mulberry court this year. I didn't get any of my three choices for accommodation so they allocated me mulberry court. I didn't see any of the accommodation and there doesn't seem to be much info about mulberry court online. so I really don't know much about it! what is mulberry court like? please tell me only the positives. I think I need reassuring. also is it close to the medical school/hospital? what is liverpool like as a city? how is the social scene? is there anything in particular that is provided at halls that I won't need to bring with me from home? sorry for all the questions. :smile:
Reply 323
Original post by hali0112
Hi! I noticed that you stayed in mulberry court this year. I didn't get any of my three choices for accommodation so they allocated me mulberry court. I didn't see any of the accommodation and there doesn't seem to be much info about mulberry court online. so I really don't know much about it! what is mulberry court like? please tell me only the positives. I think I need reassuring. also is it close to the medical school/hospital? what is liverpool like as a city? how is the social scene? is there anything in particular that is provided at halls that I won't need to bring with me from home? sorry for all the questions. :smile:

Mulberry is one of the more desirable halls, a few of my mates lived in there and loved it. The hospital and medical school are fairly close, in fact the halls are the nearest to the medical facilities.

Liverpool is a great city, it's got everything you'd want, in fact I liked it so much Im still living nearby. It's got one of the best nightlifes in the North West.
Reply 324

Hi Dont worry I loved mulberry court. Its right near everything. Only 5-10 minutes walk to town centre. About 2 minutes to the Student union, 3 to the library, 5 minutes to the medical buildings and 10 to the hospital.
Theres quite a few shops around, little corner shops and loads of tesco express/metros. Theres a laundrette on site, the porters are really helpful. I really enjoyed it there so I really wouldnt panic. In ours we were provided with a microwave but took kettles/toasters. Id wait until you get there for that though because I think some of the flats have kettles and or toasters in and if not theyre only cheap to pick up from asda. Plus we ended up with 3 kettles because a few of us brought them haha.
I love liverpool, being from manchester Ive always been quite skeptical of moving to liverpool (silly rivalry haha) but I really didnt need to, theres loads to do, everyone's really friendly. For nights out everything is close together, something for everyone and its mega cheap in the week. Ive never needed more than 15-20 for a very good night out.
Dont apologize for the questions you wouldnt know otherwise :wink: anything else Id be happy to help where I can :smile:
Original post by DMed
Mulberry is one of the more desirable halls, a few of my mates lived in there and loved it. The hospital and medical school are fairly close, in fact the halls are the nearest to the medical facilities.

Liverpool is a great city, it's got everything you'd want, in fact I liked it so much Im still living nearby. It's got one of the best nightlifes in the North West.

Original post by tink_89
Hi Dont worry I loved mulberry court. Its right near everything. Only 5-10 minutes walk to town centre. About 2 minutes to the Student union, 3 to the library, 5 minutes to the medical buildings and 10 to the hospital.
Theres quite a few shops around, little corner shops and loads of tesco express/metros. Theres a laundrette on site, the porters are really helpful. I really enjoyed it there so I really wouldnt panic. In ours we were provided with a microwave but took kettles/toasters. Id wait until you get there for that though because I think some of the flats have kettles and or toasters in and if not theyre only cheap to pick up from asda. Plus we ended up with 3 kettles because a few of us brought them haha.
I love liverpool, being from manchester Ive always been quite skeptical of moving to liverpool (silly rivalry haha) but I really didnt need to, theres loads to do, everyone's really friendly. For nights out everything is close together, something for everyone and its mega cheap in the week. Ive never needed more than 15-20 for a very good night out.
Dont apologize for the questions you wouldnt know otherwise :wink: anything else Id be happy to help where I can :smile:

thanks so much! I feel a bit more relaxed and not as anxious! :smile: just out of interest, what did you do regarding meals? did you cook regularly or live off a combination of ready meals/ take aways? did you take take turns cooking and sharing food? and how regularly did you shop for food?
Reply 326
"*PLEASE NOTE: THE OPTION TO PAY IN FOUR INSTALMENTS IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO RESIDENTS IN A 52WEEK CONTRACT WHO ARE NOT DUE TO GRADUATE IN THIS ACADEMIC SESSION."

So most of us have to pay for our accommodation in a single payment then?
Reply 327
Original post by Moskva
"So most of us have to pay for our accommodation in a single payment then?

No. If you got that from where I think you did, look at the table. The asterisk is next to the 4-installment option only - people on 40-odd-week contracts can pay in three installments, students staying year-round can pay in four.
Reply 328
Original post by Maynia
No. If you got that from where I think you did, look at the table. The asterisk is next to the 4-installment option only - people on 40-odd-week contracts can pay in three installments, students staying year-round can pay in four.

Ahhh yes that should have been obvious lol, thanks.
Reply 329
thanks so much! I feel a bit more relaxed and not as anxious! :smile: just out of interest, what did you do regarding meals? did you cook regularly or live off a combination of ready meals/ take aways? did you take take turns cooking and sharing food? and how regularly did you shop for food?

gdgd :smile: I used to cook quite a bit, then occasionally have ready meals (mainly because Id been following weightwatchers so used to have them if I got in from uni late rather than cooking)
Three of us used to cook together once a week or so, if one of us had cooked too much we'd share etc was great I loved it. I did a huge online shop at the beginning of the year and got it delivered,then used to do food shopping either once a week or every other week :smile:
Reply 330
Does anyone know anything about when we hear about bursaries?
Reply 331
Dunno when we hear about them, but its usually in 2 installments, the first being in January.
Hi, might be a little off topic, but has anybody stayed in CRM students accommodation? Looks really good and safe. http://www.crm-students.com/student-accommodation/uk/liverpool/48/windsor-court/
Original post by Moskva
Does anyone know anything about when we hear about bursaries?

You don't hear about it if I remember rightly. They just use the figures given by student finance and it automatically goes into your account if you're eligible. January is the first installment, but I can't remember the second, sorry! :redface:
Reply 334
Original post by impossible!
You don't hear about it if I remember rightly. They just use the figures given by student finance and it automatically goes into your account if you're eligible. January is the first installment, but I can't remember the second, sorry! :redface:

grr would just be nice to have some confirmation beforehand! thanks
Original post by Moskva
grr would just be nice to have some confirmation beforehand! thanks

I found it a little odd. I might be wrong about this though, because I isn't actually get it myself.I just remember hearing someone ring up about it and Liverpool saying it will just go in if you're eligible.
Reply 336
Is anyone thinking of staying in a studio in grand central? am going to a viewing of it today....
Reply 337
I am stuck.... Cambridge Court or Opal Court?
Reply 338
Found out that the accommodation i applied for was full so booked at opal court this morning but my status is changed to "waiting list". Does this mean i will or won't get a place in time? I don't think i can cancel without paying some sort of fees.

Also received an email afterwards from UoL saying they've booked places at opal court, and other places, for students. Trying to transfer to one of the rooms but I'm not sure what to do now :/
Original post by tia.may
I am stuck.... Cambridge Court or Opal Court?

Original post by RickyC
Found out that the accommodation i applied for was full so booked at opal court this morning but my status is changed to "waiting list". Does this mean i will or won't get a place in time? I don't think i can cancel without paying some sort of fees.

Also received an email afterwards from UoL saying they've booked places at opal court, and other places, for students. Trying to transfer to one of the rooms but I'm not sure what to do now :/

Both Cambridge Court and Opal Court are, to my knowledge, full. I was put on a 'waiting list' for Opal and when I emailed them they told me the rooms were full, so I just booked a room at Grand Central instead. You may get a place through the waiting list but I would hurry if I were you, now results are out places will fill up quick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending