If you are absolutely certain that you don't want to go to your insurance, ring them and ask them to reject you. Then, if you miss your Firm, you will go directly into Clearing.
However, it is pretty normal at this stage to have some second thoughts about your uni choice. You presumably chose Surrey as your insurance for a reason, so don't throw it away just because you're getting cold feet about what may/may not be in clearing and whether that might be better. It's up to you how much risk you want to take - whether, in the event of not getting your Firm, you would want to go to Surrey or risk not having a place this year. Trying to guess what will be in Clearing is going to be absolutely impossible this year with the unprecedented demand for places. Do remember that if you don't get a place, it is not the end of the world - the new fee situation is not as horrific as the media are attempting to make out.
On results day, if you meet the conditions of your Firm, that becomes your Unconditional Firm and your insurance place is lost. You would then need to ask your Firm to release you into Clearing to apply again to your Insurance choice if they have places.
You cannot simply ring your insurance on results day and ask them to accept you, because they will already have been informed several days prior that you met the conditions for your Firm.
Hi, I am really hoping to get into my firm, but if I don't then I really don't want to go to my insurance but have found a course which is likely to be in clearing at a university I would be happy going to if I missed my firm. Is there any way to change my insurance now, or do I just have to ring and ask them to release me if I get into my insurance but not my firm on results day and asked to be released so I can apply to the other through clearing?
But you need to do it BEFORE results day. You can ask your insurance choice to release you without affecting your firm now, and if you leave it until results day then it may be difficult to get through (because people may be ringing them to try and get in through clearing/beg to be let in when they missed their offer) and you have to wait for UCAS to update and give you a clearing number, as no uni will talk to you about a clearing place unless you give them your clearing number (and you can't make one up, as once you give it they will type it in so they can see your grades, personal statement etc).
It can potentially take up to 2 weeks to update, by which time there may be nothing you like left in clearing.
Ive decided i definitely dont want to go to my insurance uni. I dont even want to do the course that ive picked for that uni.
Is there any way i can cancel my insurance so that if i get declined by my firm i'll go straight into clearing?
I'm in the exact same position as I don't want to go to my insurance which is halfway across the country but got around 50% chance of getting into my firm with the high grades that they require in my hometown.
All I can think is wait till the results day and as soon as you are able to start calling unis, call your insurance choice, after that call your clearing choices asking them if they can hold an offer for you until your clearing number comes through and that you will call them back as soon as you get it.
I was in the same situation, I sent an email to the university asking them to drop me yesterday but have not received anything back yet.
I'm going to call on monday and make sure...but I really dont see them making us wait until results day. I really am not waiting for my clearance number any longer than I have to.