OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May Watch

lmfw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LisaWilliams)
I've sat both the January 2011 and June 2010. This was about as easy as the June 2010 paper, so it was pretty average really. The January 2011 was baad. I'd say it wont be too far from 42/60 for an A
100% UMS anywhere between 50 and 53 marks out of 60 on the paper
lmfw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yamamotootsu)
I damn hope so! cos I messed up the bit on the active load of sucrose into the sieve plate tube(which I did mention) but I completely forget about the hydrolysis of ATP to give hydrogen ions(and ADP) and potential gradient.
Haha i didn't even know about the hydrolysis part! Well it's only really 4 marks as 1 of the 5 marks is spelling the words right. So if you made 4 points you'd be fine
yamamotootsu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rup)
loool....do u also agree though? hope its right...otherwise mite go down to a C...which i hate sooo much..
I'm not too sure, but maybe he is right and am wrong
lmfw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rup)
Oh damn...I wrote meristem tissue located in xylem and phloem....looooooooooooool
Oh well They're located right next to the xylem and phloem vessels though! :P
yamamotootsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha i didn't even know about the hydrolysis part! Well it's only really 4 marks as 1 of the 5 marks is spelling the words right. So if you made 4 points you'd be fine
thanks I'm sure you'll get good grade cos you seem like a bright bio girl
Solarity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
100% UMS anywhere between 50 and 53 marks out of 60 on the paper
Not sure that is how it works, isn't 100 % UMS points only for full marks?
After you pass the A boundary the mark pattern between boundaries end but im fairly sure you need to get full marks for all the points
Groat
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Solarity)
After you pass the A boundary the mark pattern between boundaries end but im fairly sure you need to get full marks for all the points
Nope. It's usually the difference between the A and B boundary, doubled, then added onto the A boundary.

The A boundary averages around 43 for this exam, and it's usually 5 marks between each boundary, suggesting that 90/90UMS would require 53/60.

I hope that helps.
Solarity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Groat)
Nope. It's usually the difference between the A and B boundary, doubled, then added onto the A boundary.

The A boundary averages around 43 for this exam, and it's usually 5 marks between each boundary, suggesting that 90/90UMS would require 53/60.

I hope that helps.
Wow i didn't know that. That is brilliant! Is this just with OCR? or does it happen across multiple exam boards?
lmfw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well if you look at most the Grade boundaries the papers out of 60 and out of 90 UMS. So technically it should be 1 mark = 1.5 UMS. But if you look at say the January 2011 an A (which is 90%) UMS is 42 marks in the paper giving 72 UMS. But 72/42=1.7 so it's actually 1.7 UMS for one mark. Making 90 UMS (which is 100% UMS, sorry it's confusing) a mark of 90/1.7=53 in the paper. So getting 53/60 would get you 100% UMS. Hope that makes sense
Groat
Report 7 years ago
Wow i didn't know that. That is brilliant! Is this just with OCR? or does it happen across multiple exam boards?
Across exam boards. Some exams, such as Maths, usually have 100/100UMS to 75/75 raw conversions as the grade boundaries are quite high.
Groat
Report 7 years ago
Well if you look at most the Grade boundaries the papers out of 60 and out of 90 UMS. So technically it should be 1 mark = 1.5 UMS. But if you look at say the January 2011 an A (which is 90%) UMS is 42 marks in the paper giving 72 UMS. But 72/42=1.7 so it's actually 1.7 UMS for one mark. Making 90 UMS (which is 100% UMS, sorry it's confusing) a mark of 90/1.7=53 in the paper. So getting 53/60 would get you 100% UMS. Hope that makes sense
I don't think that's how it works. If you look at AQA's UMS converter, the gradient of marks awarded at each boundary changes, but remains constant after the B boundary changes, suggesting my method is more reliable.
yamamotootsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Groat)

I hope that helps.
do you happen to speak dutch=)?
Groat
Report 7 years ago
do you happen to speak dutch=)?
I don't I'm afraid?
lmfw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Groat)
I don't think that's how it works. If you look at AQA's UMS converter, the gradient of marks awarded at each boundary changes, but remains constant after the B boundary changes, suggesting my method is more reliable.
Oh dear, i have no clue But we both agree 53 raw marks would give 100% yeah?
yamamotootsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
to be honest i think it was an easy paper and I think a lot of people have probably done very well so boundary for an A would be around 45-48
lmfw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
to be honest i think it was an easy paper and I think a lot of people have probably done very well so boundary for an A would be around 45-48
You think? I can't see how it could move out of the 42-44 range though, I hope it doesn't!!
yamamotootsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Groat)
I don't I'm afraid?
damn! You just sounded a little bit dutch to me
Groat
Report 7 years ago
It depends, by my hypothesis you'd need 56/60 in January 09, but only 50/60 in January 10. You can't be sure until the grade boundaries are released.
yamamotootsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You think? I can't see how it could move out of the 42-44 range though, I hope it doesn't!!
neither do I! But don't get me wrong am all for low boundary(no offence)
Groat
Report 7 years ago
I'd have to disagree. There were 10 marks on the spirometer and it's a incredibly small topic, so I'm predicting around 43/60 for an A. We'll have to wait and see in August who's right!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.74%
No - but I will (64)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (392)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise