Turn on thread page Beta

Food and Drink: "Who Would Ever Eat THAT When THIS Exists?" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would people buy most things from the Sainsburys Basics range, when their Taste the Difference or even just standard range is next door?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameritus)
    Why on earth would people buy most things from the Sainsburys Basics range, when their Taste the Difference or even just standard range is next door?
    Because in a lot of instances, it's the exact same product repackaged.

Case in point - Wheat Biscuits (Weetabix-alikes) - The product in the "normal" and "premium" ranges are the exact same product from the same factory (though the "value" variant is different).

In terms of "Premium" own-brand canned ready meals, such as chicken curries etc, the raw ingredients (chicken, vegetables, etc) are all sourced from the exact same place; it's actually merely the ratios of ingredients that differ.

More to the point, when one can of beans is 14p and one is £1.09, I would think you pretty stupid to opt for the latter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)

Case in point - Wheat Biscuits (Weetabix-alikes) - The product in the "normal" and "premium" ranges are the exact same product from the same factory (though the "value" variant is different).

In terms of "Premium" own-brand canned ready meals, such as chicken curries etc, the raw ingredients (chicken, vegetables, etc) are all sourced from the exact same place; it's actually merely the ratios of ingredients that differ.

More to the point, when one can of beans is 14p and one is £1.09, I would think you pretty stupid to opt for the latter...
    TotoMimo, forever answering rhetorical questions. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)

I think at the time I wrote this I was thinking of some poor sod next to me who put two or three packs of Basics sausages in his basket. I mean, they're only officially 47% pork (and possibly even less than that) :afraid:

Things like the value ranges of biscuits I actually prefer (unless they're chocolate bourbons or shortbread where only the best will do!) as they seem to contain less sugar and seem "healthier".

ReputationRep:
    Savoury scones Name:  bcs.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  140.0 KB
    when fruit scones existName:  scone.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  118.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Cheesy scones are delicious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Cheesy scones are delicious!
    Really? I've never had them? What would you have it with?! isn't it a bit like a savoury muffin? Bit...weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_1991)
    Really? I've never had them? What would you have it with?! isn't it a bit like a savoury muffin? Bit...weird?
    I know it does sound odd but honestly they are bombbishdelish - when I have them I tend to have them with a bit of chutney. A bit like a cheese and crackers affair..but they're so full of flavour you could heat them up in the oven a bit and have them just like that or with a bit of butter.

ReputationRep:
    Hm. I may have to give it a go. Long as it's not like savoury muffins, coz they're just odd. Fact.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2013
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.