KizD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...-invade-p1.php

The end of this short clip demonstates some Americans geography ability, or lack of.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KizD)

The end of this short clip demonstates some Americans geography ability, or lack of.
dude that is hilarious.

am sure if you tried a similar trick down in south london though you'd probably get just as hirrifying results.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KizD)

Funny, but a hoax.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
but it is IMO the case that Americans are more in love with the morality and righteousness of their NATION (not culture like the French) than any other European country, and partiotism of that ilk often comes across as arrogant especially given the relative paucity of knowledge of foreign affairs in the US.
In my experience I've find it to be the opposite. More arrogant and self-righteous than the average 'we're-far-more-tolerant-and-knowledgeable-than-those-uncouth-lacking-in-culture-evangelical-cowboys' European? Not a chance.
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tina_O)
The american empire is dieing, all they have left is the military and hence are using it.

Soon they won't be able to afford it and then they will be just another country.
That's why our GDP is more than double than that of the next competitor, right?
Supersonic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just glancing and found this:

posted by Made in the usa:

"Maybe you should ask yourself why it bothers you so much if people want to go to church. I am not practicing, but I still think religion has its purpose. It teaches people right from wrong (except Islam)"

No wonder everybody in the world hate America. You make me sick. Why do people question islamic extremists motives for bombing the west???
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Vienna)
In my experience I've find it to be the opposite. More arrogant and self-righteous than the average 'we're-far-more-tolerant-and-knowledgeable-than-those-uncouth-lacking-in-culture-evangelical-cowboys' European? Not a chance.
I hate to say it, but it's a fair point
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Supersonic)

"Maybe you should ask yourself why it bothers you so much if people want to go to church. I am not practicing, but I still think religion has its purpose. It teaches people right from wrong (except Islam)"

No wonder everybody in the world hate America. You make me sick. Why do people question islamic extremists motives for bombing the west???
So now I deserve to get bombed? I'm only judging the religion by the actions of its followers. Today, in the year 2006, the most devout followers of islam are a lot more prone to violence than our religious right. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

The fundamentalist christians are annoying as hell and sometimes try to convince you to "save yourself", but they are totally harmless. People in Europe like to paint evangelical Christians and followers of radical Islam with the same brush, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.
RieLouise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
So now I deserve to get bombed? I'm only judging the religion by the actions of its followers. Today, in the year 2006, the most devout followers of islam are a lot more prone to violence than our religious right. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

The fundamentalist christians are annoying as hell and sometimes try to convince you to "save yourself", but they are totally harmless. People in Europe like to paint evangelical Christians and followers of radical Islam with the same brush, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Didn't James Charles Kopp claim to be motivated by his Christian beliefs? And what about this lot?

And which 'people in Europe'? It's a pretty large continent, you know. Perhaps you could be more specific.
matchu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)

haha, what a cocksmoker. You get annoyed at being branded ignorant and idiotic as a result of your nations actions, yet condone the same treatment against anouther group?
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BellaCat)
And which 'people in Europe'? It's a pretty large continent, you know. Perhaps you could be more specific.
I was responding to this quote from Lawz-:

Again, you have to understand, it is entirely relative. Compared to the UK and a secular Europe, the US is VERY VERY religious. That actually bothers a lot of Europeans, rightly or wrongly.
I don't think it really matters what country in Europe you're are talking about. I've traveled enough to know that if you parachute anyone from Europe into south Carolina, they'll have an aneurism at the sight of a "honk if you love jesus" bumper sticker.
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Straas)
haha, what a cocksmoker. You get annoyed at being branded ignorant and idiotic as a result of your nations actions, yet condone the same treatment against anouther group?
I'm not condoning anything. Stop putting words in my mouth.
It's hilarious reading posts accusing me of being intolerant from the same people who have a pathological hatred for America's "religious right." Lets not have a double standard...one standard will do just fine.
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No wonder everybody in the world hate America with scum like you crawling about.
I'm speaking for myself, not speaking on behalf of America. Calm down, take a deep breath, and maybe try switching to decaffeinated coffee?
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gideon2000uk)
I would say that since visiting America I am fairly anti-American. I don't like the culture (they don't have any), I think many Americans are fake, I think American politics is farcical... and yet I think America has a very important place in the world - and the world is a much better place under American leadership.
Thanks

I think our politics are farcical too, but not significantly more farcical than politics in other countries.

What places did you visit, if you don't mind me asking?
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BellaCat)
Didn't James Charles Kopp claim to be motivated by his Christian beliefs? And what about this lot?

Funny, you call out the notion of a European generalization on a thread that confronts the generalization of 275 million people.
baghee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rusty33)
That's why our GDP is more than double than that of the next competitor, right?
Ever heard of GDP per capita?:rolleyes:
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Yeah, I'm sure wherever it is you are from, the people are just raving about the ability you have to represent your homeland with such grammatically structured sentences, and such rational, well articulated thoughts. I bet it’s the wonderful school system. Or, maybe the “culture” that we so desperately lack. Heck, I bet name calling is a formality wherever it is you are from.

Where are you from, again?
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by baghee)
Ever heard of GDP per capita?:rolleyes:
Per capita Top 20 in the World:
1 Bermuda $ 69,900 2004 est.
2 Luxembourg $ 55,600 2005 est.
3 Equatorial Guinea $ 50,200 2005 est.
4 Norway $ 42,400 2005 est.
5 United States $ 42,000 2005 est.
6 Guernsey $ 40,000 2003 est.
7 Jersey $ 40,000 2003 est.
8 British Virgin Islands $ 38,500 2004 est.
9 Hong Kong $ 37,400 2005 est.
10 Switzerland $ 35,300 2005 est.
11 Iceland $ 34,900 2005 est.
12 San Marino $ 34,600 2001 est.
13 Ireland $ 34,100 2005 est.
14 Denmark $ 33,400 2005 est.
15 Austria $ 32,900 2005 est.
16 Canada $ 32,900 2005 est.
17 Cayman Islands $ 32,300 2004 est.
18 Australia $ 32,000 2005 est.
19 Belgium $ 31,900 2005 est.
20 United Kingdom $ 30,900 2005 est.
*65 Slovakia $ 15,800 2005 est.

Source: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2004rank.html

Populations of these countres:
1 Bermuda - 65575
2 Luxembourg - 470078
3 Equatorial Guinea - 537971
4 Norway - 4.6 Million
5 United States - 297 Million
6 Guernsey - 65175
7 Jersey - 90884
8 British Virgin Islands - 22843
9 Hong Kong - 6.9 Million
10 Switzerland - 7.5 Million
11 Iceland - 298407
12 San Marino - 28926
13 Ireland - 4 Million
14 Denmark - 5.4 Million
15 Austria - 8.2 Million
16 Canada - 32.8 Million
17 Cayman Islands - 44554
18 Australia - 20.2 Million
19 Belgium - 10.4 Million
20 United Kingdom - 60.5 Million
* Slovakia - 5.4 Million

Source: http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/information/population/

Comparatively speaking, I think we're doing alright.

Bring your A-game next time.
baghee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rusty33)
Per capita, while nice, is only relative. It doesn't do much for you when push comes to shove.
It's also perfectly logical that the bigger country will have bigger GDP. GDP per capita, on the other hand, reflects the economic situation of the people in the country.
baghee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Besides, the United States ranks fifth in the world in per capita GDP. Slovakia, on the other hand, ranks 65th.
Your point? ::yawn::
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (93)
29.52%
1 (52)
16.51%
2 (43)
13.65%
3 (47)
14.92%
4 (24)
7.62%
5 (22)
6.98%