Reply 320
Original post by arnoob
Has anyone researched Starbucks? I don't know what to write for them :/

Not done that much...just have a few facts and figures. Hope this helps

Founded: 1971

CEO: Howard Schultz

Number of stores: 20,891 as of March 2013

Number of countries: 62

Culture: Value employees. Training and development of subordinates is encouraged.

News: Boycotted by customers due to tax avoidance. Competitors like Café Nero in particular have benefitted from the loss in Starbucks’ sales. In December 2012, Costa’s sales went up by 7%.

Long-term strategy: Focus on training.

Social responsibility: Suspended coffee project
Reply 321
Original post by james2557
Can somebody please list which companies they have researched?

I'm using Royal Mail, Nokia, Ikea, Zappos, Barclays and Enron

Same as yours really, but also Apple, John Lewis, Huawei and Starbucks
I also have a few random facts about other companies, but these are the main ones as well as all the ones you listed.
Original post by nadster
This is a massive generalisation. An incorrect one. Strong is not the same as positive and weak is not the same as negative. Barclays and Enron both allowed subcultures to form, their cultures were negative. They caused problems in terms of staff retention and in the case of Enron, survival. Their cultures were, however, strong. At Enron, everyone was aware of the profit maximisation objective and knew that "as long as they brought home the bacon" as one employee was quoted saying, they were safe. Employees were aware of the objective of the company and knew exactly what was needed to achieve them. This, suggests the culture at Enron was strong....but negative. You are right in saying that in general, strong cultures tend to be good and weak bad, but this is not always the case and certainly not with Enron

yea sorry I got confused between strong and postive vs weak and negative
thanks!
Original post by iggyDash
Thank you!
How far are you in to your research and at what point?

Im almost finished doing the bulltet points

for section a i've gone through all the theory and researched 3 companies, planning to do 2-3 more today.

i've done about half my research for section B, so still a lot to do!
Original post by needtosucceed=)
for section a i've gone through all the theory and researched 3 companies, planning to do 2-3 more today.

i've done about half my research for section B, so still a lot to do!

what companies are you doing for section A/B?
Original post by CubePL
x

Original post by monika_s
x

thank you!
Original post by sofiax0
what companies are you doing for section A/B?

section a - ikea, royal mail, nokia, SW airlines, zappos, enron, barclays i think
section b - lots of different ones, depends on the topic, trying to use the ones for culture and some additional ones like tesco.

would you be able to upload those papers please? :smile:
Original post by needtosucceed=)
section a - ikea, royal mail, nokia, SW airlines, zappos, enron, barclays i think
section b - lots of different ones, depends on the topic, trying to use the ones for culture and some additional ones like tesco.

would you be able to upload those papers please? :smile:

oh okay, have any ones popped up for your section B often that cover a few of the topics? im really stuck with what ones to research for it,and i dont know whether to do like specific in depth ones for section b, or just kind of general in relation to the topics that could come up in section B.

yes i will! i need to scan them, I just need to type some things up and then I will :smile: sorry i forgot to do it yesterday!
Reply 328
What examples would yu give for employee resistance to change... E.g. British Airways ...
Original post by sofiax0
oh okay, have any ones popped up for your section B often that cover a few of the topics? im really stuck with what ones to research for it,and i dont know whether to do like specific in depth ones for section b, or just kind of general in relation to the topics that could come up in section B.

yes i will! i need to scan them, I just need to type some things up and then I will :smile: sorry i forgot to do it yesterday!

not really except ones like royal mail can be used for leadership, privatisation, technological change etc. nokia for retrenchment. for mergers/takeovers amazon+zappos

okay thats fine :smile:
I have revised around 7-8 companies for the exam but I feel like I don't know EXACTLY what some of their culture is like. For example, even though Amazon has diversified and received profit of $544 million, I don't know what their actual culture is like (anyone who got the tutor2u booklet will understand that the case never specified on their culture, just how they succeeded as an online retailer). Help?

Also, does anyone have any example essay answers for section A or B?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by laurenculver24
I have revised around 7-8 companies for the exam but I feel like I don't know EXACTLY what some of their culture is like. For example, even though Amazon has diversified and received profit of $544 million, I don't know what their actual culture is like (anyone who got the tutor2u booklet will understand that the case never specified on their culture, just how they succeeded as an online retailer). Help?

Also, does anyone have any example essay answers for section A or B?

you can find essays from previous students on the aqa website :smile:
Reply 332
Original post by Kemz
What examples would yu give for employee resistance to change... E.g. British Airways ...

Royal Mail! :biggrin:
http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2012/01/18/ts_inside_apple.fortune/

For anyone who wanted to research Apple's culture. More in the link below.

This has been posted before but I feel it's an excellent resource so I'm reposting it for those who haven't seen it: http://zigzageducation.co.uk/downloads/Business/buss4/5068-websites.html#3
Original post by nadster
Not done that much...just have a few facts and figures. Hope this helps

Founded: 1971

CEO: Howard Schultz

Number of stores: 20,891 as of March 2013

Number of countries: 62

Culture: Value employees. Training and development of subordinates is encouraged.

News: Boycotted by customers due to tax avoidance. Competitors like Café Nero in particular have benefitted from the loss in Starbucks’ sales. In December 2012, Costa’s sales went up by 7%.

Long-term strategy: Focus on training.

Social responsibility: Suspended coffee project

Thank you :smile:
Can someone give me a list of all the possible topics that can come up in the Section B question please? Thanks
Reply 338
I am so doomed in this exam. Going to start revision for Buss4 tomorrow after my maths C4 exams giving me roughly a day and a half to go over everything from section A culture and everything from section B. God help me :rolleyes:
Interesting piece on Microsoft here if anyone's interested
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/22/former-exec-wrong-person-in-charge-of-microsoft
Particularly that final line:
"For Microsoft to really get back in the game seriously, you need a big change in management. As much as I respect Steve Ballmer, he may be part of that in the end."
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending