The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Guys, if you had a TARDIS with enough power for 2 journeys, where would you go?

(Bare in mind, if you go somewhere, you can use the other trip to go back home or go somewhere else to live forever)
Reply 321
This episode was just plain awful.. next week looks so good though.
Original post by Arkay
Is it just me or do the writer's abuse the Sonic Screwdriver WAY too much? I mean how many times did it save the Doctor in that episode?

Also, the plot progressed NOWHERE up until the last 20 minutes. I mean was there any point in even watching the first half, other then the intro maybe?

I cringed all the way through the Doctor's speech :facepalm:

I thought the episode was all over the place but I still thought there have been worse and I'm still not entirely convinced how a leaf is better than the Doctor because the Doctor represents infinite possibilities like what happened with Amy and Rory and all the other companions.The episode was a Doctor Who musical and it really felt as if I was watching Songs of Praise for about 10 minutes of the episode and the whole thing with the Mummy was literally a whole waste of time ,when we found out it was the Old God that was the real threat.It felt as if Neill Cross had wrote a very short script like 10 minutes or less and then just filled in a load of rubbish after that- this episode could have easily have lasted for less than ten minutes.There have been worse though like Asylum of the Daleks and does anyone else hate this new Clara She is worse than Amy and much worse than the Clara, which we were pretty much promised from Asylum of the Daleks and The Snowmen.The next episode looks better but I wonder why the Ice Warriors would want to use nuclear missiles to destroy the Earth?
Even some of the die hard fans on Tumblr and Twitter are conceding that the episode was bad. Maybe Moffat will finally start listening to some criticism! I can but hope.
I cant put my finger on it exactly but something was really off with this episode :s-smilie: and next week looks even worse, im sick of these stuck on a spaceship with the crew running away from the moster storylines, ive seen so many of them now
Reply 325
They really should bring Russell.T.Davies back. He was a way better writer than Moffat.
Original post by sarahiscool
I cant put my finger on it exactly but something was really off with this episode :s-smilie: and next week looks even worse, im sick of these stuck on a spaceship with the crew running away from the moster storylines, ive seen so many of them now

I love those types of storylines, recent episodes haven't been too good because Steven Moffat has tried to focus too much on variety and a little variety helps but too much and you end up with episodes like Asylum of the Daleks and tonight's episode.We need to stick with what made RTD's Doctor Who and Classic Doctor Who so good.
I quite liked the start... I agree that not much happened but I like seeing the different planets and the market place and the idea of the sentimental things being currency. But I agree that the middle with the mummy thing and "heavy door" thing was a bit stupid. It wasn't even that funny tonight, I usually like the one liners!
The singing was the worst part.
Reply 329
That was woeful. I was watching it on BBC iPlayer live and I was about 30mins behind, just as I thought something interesting was going to happen the preview for next week appears.
Original post by Arkay
Is it just me or do the writer's abuse the Sonic Screwdriver WAY too much? I mean how many times did it save the Doctor in that episode?

Agreed, but I don't mind its plethora of uses - I'd expect that from such sophisticated technology, but it's the fact that it's now even used as a weapon that bothers me.

Also, the plot progressed NOWHERE up until the last 20 minutes. I mean was there any point in even watching the first half, other then the intro maybe?

I actually felt the opposite way; I felt the start was the most 'meaty' part in terms of making the episode meaningful. Lots of character development and 'bonding' going on in there. I thought it was pretty vital for getting me, as the audience, to care about Mary - and to get to know Clara and empathise with her.

As for the Doctor's "we never walk away" and "unless we have something precious then we run", it was nice to hear that to sort of cement in his revert to the ol' "save the world" Doctor instead of the depressed "I don't do that anymore" forced apathy.

I cringed all the way through the Doctor's speech :facepalm:

I liked the speech. :yes:
Reply 331
I didn't quite get how this "god" or whatever it actually was that they worshiped as a god was going to eat up 7 worlds if clara's leaf "infinite possibilities about the future that didn't happen" filled it up in 7 worlds full of people there would be billions of things like that. And sure the doctor would of had loads of amazing memories and stuff.. but again 7 worlds full of people..
Reply 332
Original post by Dalek1099
I thought the episode was all over the place but I still thought there have been worse and I'm still not entirely convinced how a leaf is better than the Doctor because the Doctor represents infinite possibilities like what happened with Amy and Rory and all the other companions.The episode was a Doctor Who musical and it really felt as if I was watching Songs of Praise for about 10 minutes of the episode and the whole thing with the Mummy was literally a whole waste of time ,when we found out it was the Old God that was the real threat.It felt as if Neill Cross had wrote a very short script like 10 minutes or less and then just filled in a load of rubbish after that- this episode could have easily have lasted for less than ten minutes.There have been worse though like Asylum of the Daleks and does anyone else hate this new Clara She is worse than Amy and much worse than the Clara, which we were pretty much promised from Asylum of the Daleks and The Snowmen.The next episode looks better but I wonder why the Ice Warriors would want to use nuclear missiles to destroy the Earth?

I loved the singing, but I can see why people would find it annoying. To me it felt like the idea of the leaf was created separately to the main storyline, and then just added on afterwards in order to be used as a deux ex machina to save the Doctor. I honestly don't think the leaf was originally meant to be used in that episode, but the writer wrote himself into a corner and found a chance to use it.

Also, I think anyone is better than Amy, even Martha.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Agreed, but I don't mind its plethora of uses - I'd expect that from such sophisticated technology, but it's the fact that it's now even used as a weapon that bothers me.

I actually felt the opposite way; I felt the start was the most 'meaty' part in terms of making the episode meaningful. Lots of character development and 'bonding' going on in there. I thought it was pretty vital for getting me, as the audience, to care about Mary - and to get to know Clara and empathise with her.

As for the Doctor's "we never walk away" and "unless we have something precious then we run", it was nice to hear that to sort of cement in his revert to the ol' "save the world" Doctor instead of the depressed "I don't do that anymore" forced apathy.

I liked the speech. :yes:

I feel like I've emphasized enough with Clara in previous episodes, which is why I got quite bored in this episode. I really want Clara to have some badass moment - the leaf part was alright, but I would really love it if she solved a problem without the Doctor's help (this is why I loved Rose/Donna). I think Jenna-Louise Coleman has so much more potential than just being a boring, stereotypical companion we've seen before.

Is it bad that I felt absolutely no sympathy for Mary, and thought she should just sacrifice herself? :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't mind it that much, I really liked getting to know Clara's back story a bit more.
Reply 334
Parts of it were good but in other places it was bad
The singing was okay at first, but then it just kept going on and on, and it wasn't even a nice song.

I don't think the episode was that bad. I thought it was alright.
Reply 336
I thought it was a fantastic episode. Finally, some good light-heartedness!

Also, Clara Oswin Oswald can get in my snogbox anyday. :wink:
Reply 337
Original post by Arkay
I loved the singing, but I can see why people would find it annoying. To me it felt like the idea of the leaf was created separately to the main storyline, and then just added on afterwards in order to be used as a deux ex machina to save the Doctor. I honestly don't think the leaf was originally meant to be used in that episode, but the writer wrote himself into a corner and found a chance to use it.

Also, I think anyone is better than Amy, even Martha.

I feel like I've emphasized enough with Clara in previous episodes, which is why I got quite bored in this episode. I really want Clara to have some badass moment - the leaf part was alright, but I would really love it if she solved a problem without the Doctor's help (this is why I loved Rose/Donna). I think Jenna-Louise Coleman has so much more potential than just being a boring, stereotypical companion we've seen before.

Is it bad that I felt absolutely no sympathy for Mary, and thought she should just sacrifice herself?
:s-smilie:

probably :tongue: ye she should of, she knew she should of. But no sympathy for a child expected to sacrifice herself is kinda heartless
Reply 338
Original post by boba
probably :tongue: ye she should of, she knew she should of. But no sympathy for a child expected to sacrifice herself is kinda heartless

I thought she was being a bit selfish tbh, and she could've saved Clara's leaf

Spoiler

Reply 339
Original post by Arkay
I thought she was being a bit selfish tbh, and she could've saved Clara's leaf

Spoiler

well I liked the little girls cool costume and I wouldn't want it to be ruined by her death. leaves are stupid

Quick Reply

Latest