Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak97xxx)
    haha every tech kids dream is silicon valley.
    I think Manchester is a great university, its number 33 in the QS world rankings. If it wasn't for the study year abroad, I probably would have put it down as my firm or insurance.
    That's reassuring to hear. My life rn is just waiting for a reply from imperial lol. That, and it's mock exam week for me atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MahuduElec)
    That's reassuring to hear. My life rn is just waiting for a reply from imperial lol. That, and it's mock exam week for me atm
    Good luck for them! My mock exams aren't until March

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could someone post a printscreen of his or her schedule if he or she is studying eee?
    You could otherwise write how many hours a week you have (in a usual week).

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Am studying a BTEC in eee at college, going to uni next year, but I assume you want a schedule for uni? Not college?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am mostly interested for universities but you are free to send your schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fostiras)
    Could someone post a printscreen of his or her schedule if he or she is studying eee?
    You could otherwise write how many hours a week you have (in a usual week).

Thank you in advance.
    I'm a first year eee and I have 23 hours in a week. I have 5 hours of electronics, 5 hours of circuit theory, 3 hours of maths, 5 hours of programming, 3 hours of labs and 2 hours for our long-term project work. This means I would be in from 9-4/5 for 3 days and in from 9-1 on the other two.

Next semester though we drop some modules and gain some new ones so I think its about 20 hours a week then.

Oh, forgot to mention I had two hours of tutorials too.

ReputationRep:
    I study eee at the university of manchester and we only have 2 lectures per week for each module (excluding labs and tutorials).
    So I have 15 hours per week without considering the labs.

ReputationRep:
    I study eee at the university of manchester and we only have 2 lectures per week for each module (excluding labs and tutorials).
    So I have 15 hours per week without considering the labs.
    That seems to be quite a few hours difference in our timetables. Do you have many hours of labs/tutorials?

ReputationRep:
    Well each lab lasts for 3 hours and I usually have 2 of them its week.Some weeks I have 3 and some just one.It is not stable.
    Which university are you studying in?

ReputationRep:
    Well each lab lasts for 3 hours and I usually have 2 of them its week.Some weeks I have 3 and some just one.It is not stable.
    Which university are you studying in?
    Newcastle uni

ReputationRep:
    I think its a lot more common than before, from what I've heard, of engineering majors going into finance, especially back office roles (technical stuff). Heck I even read somewhere that employers prefer engineering/technical background for BO. To go front office, you'll prob have to gain some extra experience like a summer internship or a postgraduate qualification.

Oh and in terms of ease of getting into it, firms obviously realise you're clever if you're doing engineering at a target uni, eg imperial, especially if your on track/get a first. But I think to land a job and even get interviewed, we would have to show a lot more enthusiasm and dedication to finance. I say that as to even get to an interview, you prob have to convince them your not doing it JUST for the money.

I'd deffo sell my soul if i was offered a 50k job before graduating, with very quick salary growth :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was lucky enough to spend a few days at a hedge fund (back office side), pretty much everyone in the front/back office had a 1st class STEM degree from top unis. Certainly a lot of money in finance, although the hours and the pressure is extremely high.

Engineering jobs in the UK are going through a rough time at the moment, manufacturing sector is getting hit by the unease in the global economy at the moment. ("Worldwide economic risks threaten UK manufacturing, with a third of companies considering 'across the board' cuts").

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrlk)
    I was lucky enough to spend a few days at a hedge fund (back office side), pretty much everyone in the front/back office had a 1st class STEM degree from top unis. Certainly a lot of money in finance, although the hours and the pressure is extremely high.

Engineering jobs in the UK are going through a rough time at the moment, manufacturing sector is getting hit by the unease in the global economy at the moment. ("Worldwide economic risks threaten UK manufacturing, with a third of companies considering 'across the board' cuts").
    Just finished reading, looks bad with the job cuts. By the time I'm done with uni and whilst I'm there, ill have a look then and see what's up :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrlk)

Engineering jobs in the UK are going through a rough time at the moment, manufacturing sector is getting hit by the unease in the global economy at the moment. ("Worldwide economic risks threaten UK manufacturing, with a third of companies considering 'across the board' cuts".
    Roughly how many would you say were Engineering grads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formless)
    Roughly how many would you say were Engineering grads?
    Majority of them, few scientists in there from the more mathematical side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrlk)
    Majority of them, few scientists in there from the more mathematical side.
    Where do you study if you dont mind me asking, you probably mentioned it before but i fail to recall.

Are you an EEE undergrad and or planning to go into finance? Ive definitely expressed interest but until i get real experience of the hours and dedication required im gonna stay neutral. How did you manage to get in Hedge fund, was it hard considering being a Engineering student or advantageous.

Have you had experiences with firms/companies approaching you to enter finance, or you approach them?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone attending a Southampton EEE Applicants 'Visit Day' ?

ReputationRep:
    I am, on 9th February! Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where do you study if you dont mind me asking, you probably mentioned it before but i fail to recall.

Are you an EEE undergrad and or planning to go into finance? Ive definitely expressed interest but until i get real experience of the hours and dedication required im gonna stay neutral. How did you manage to get in Hedge fund, was it hard considering being a Engineering student or advantageous.

Have you had experiences with firms/companies approaching you to enter finance, or you approach them?
    Doing A2s at the moment. Got the place through a family friend who works in finance. Day starts at around 8, I finished my work pretty quickly and they had nothing more to give me so I went at 4. People working there would usually stay until 6, maybe more depending what markets they traded.

I know investment banking is well known for the manic hours, spending the early hours of the morning working on pitch books (and there was that intern who suddenly collapsed in the shower & died after pulling 3 all nighters in a row at BoA). Seems like you're at the whim of people above you for the first 3 years until you move up the pecking order.

I went in December, pretty good day overall. Better food than other visit days I've been on!

ReputationRep:
    Heey, I am, on 9th February! Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Split between 2nd February (Day before Imperials Interview, Might provide me prep 'practice' for the big boy)

Or to go for the next avail 9th February.

What do you think i should do?

ReputationRep:
    Split between 2nd February (Day before Imperials Interview, Might provide me prep 'practice' for the big boy)

Or to go for the next avail 9th February.

What do you think i should do?
    We'll it depends on where you're travelling from, the journeys from the north are exhausting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.