Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MirrorPixie)
    Is anyone doing Comedy on Thursday? If so, any tips? :cry2:
    I'm going through each of the four plays in detail, doing character notes and planning possible essay questions!!!

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the virgil paper?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vm7169)
    How did people find the virgil paper?
    I think it was a good paper. I did both the Aeneid questions as I'm crap at the Iliad. Section A was ezpz, especially as it was specifically the first part which I know most about. The main thing I struggled with was mentioning things from book 6 about representation of gods... I put about Venus showing Aeneas where to go with the doves to find the golden bough and couldn't think of anything else. Section B was forgiving too - I answered about the characterisation of Aeneas which let me just list Roman values and say how he had shown them or not.

Overall, I'm quietly confident. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glenbot3000)
    I think it was a good paper. I did both the Aeneid questions as I'm crap at the Iliad. Section A was ezpz, especially as it was specifically the first part which I know most about. The main thing I struggled with was mentioning things from book 6 about representation of gods... I put about Venus showing Aeneas where to go with the doves to find the golden bough and couldn't think of anything else. Section B was forgiving too - I answered about the characterisation of Aeneas which let me just list Roman values and say how he had shown them or not.

Ahh your paper sounds like it went really well. I would have preferred to answer Q1 but couldn't really think of a good argument in the heat of the moment so went for Q2 stupidly. Im pretty sure the comparison questions take longer so yeah bit annoying!

I did the importance of family question so literally opposite to you! Ran out of time a but there though. Such a nice question but not enough time to write everything down!

ReputationRep:
    haha hopefuly we get good marks! good luck to you too

(Original post by Jeanie_Olivia)
    I'm hoping I did okay but I don't think I did very well but I don't think I did really bad either! Haha fingers crossed for good marks good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh your paper sounds like it went really well. I would have preferred to answer Q1 but couldn't really think of a good argument in the heat of the moment so went for Q2 stupidly. Im pretty sure the comparison questions take longer so yeah bit annoying!

I did the importance of family question so literally opposite to you! Ran out of time a but there though. Such a nice question but not enough time to write everything down!
    Yeah the last question on Section B was pretty good, but Q2 looked horrible. I think my main problem will be that my 1b was a bit discohesive as I sorta changed my mind half way through, and I didn't conclude my essay. Not fair being in the first seat in the exam hall - you never get the slither of extra time to finish your sentence...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the last question on Section B was pretty good, but Q2 looked horrible. I think my main problem will be that my 1b was a bit discohesive as I sorta changed my mind half way through, and I didn't conclude my essay. Not fair being in the first seat in the exam hall - you never get the slither of extra time to finish your sentence...
    I'd luckily looked into weapons last night, using the passages in the second question was quite a hard task though! Don't worry, mine was like that too. I only essay planned for the last question because of the time constraints and even that was quite jumbled!

Aha try being the only one ever at your school to do it. 5/7 exams I have/had on my own and am always left the only one in the massive main hall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_lou)
    Ahh i don't know why the 10 markers exist tbh they waste time that could be spent doing the two bigger essays :/ can you remember what the 10 marker question on Antigone was? I was trying to remember but it's gone lol. Same, I always feel trag is harder :/ I'm sure you could get an A as it was quite a good paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i agree!!.. and i think it was to do with the 2 characteristics of Antigone and Creon that was the downfall.. something along them lines i think.... lol i hope so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamna01)
    i agree!!.. and i think it was to do with the 2 characteristics of Antigone and Creon that was the downfall.. something along them lines i think.... lol i hope so!
    Oh yeah that sounds about right, fingers crossed for 15th august! Got any more exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd luckily looked into weapons last night, using the passages in the second question was quite a hard task though! Don't worry, mine was like that too. I only essay planned for the last question because of the time constraints and even that was quite jumbled!

Aha try being the only one ever at your school to do it. 5/7 exams I have/had on my own and am always left the only one in the massive main hall!
    Yeah, I hardly ever plan my responses. I told my English teacher a few weeks back and you should've seen the dread slowly fall across her face... I never have enough time, and I feel I'd rather get more actual content down than take 10 minutes to write a plan worth nothing. It's why I hate examination - timing. How can they expect to write 3 essays in 2 hours? Because it takes me longer to formulate an answer, does that make me a worse candidate? It's dumb and frustrating.

Yeah, I had a clash last week. In fairness, I had a good chat with the invigilator whilst she monitored me to the smoking area... I'm also the only male in my Classics class, so as you can imagine, all the menial jobs such as moving desks and turning on the projector (which is always like 40ft off the ground... why?!) fall to me. Bad times.

ReputationRep:

In the part b question: I was so confused, I totally messed up by only comparing the gods in passage (Neptune and Juno) to ONLY Neptune and Juno in the first half of the Aeneid I even underlined the question and everything- I didn't see that it was made clear that we had to use OTHER GODS not in the passage SO UPSET. How many marks do you think I would use? (I was very detailed in Juno and Neptune) but still upset

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Virgil paper was quite mean today! I told myself for weeks that I wouldn't do any Iliad/Aeneid questions as I knew the Aeneid alone enough, but when it came down to it I didn't even recognise the Book 1 passage with Neptune (the wording - I think I read a different translation) and the Aeneas characterisation question was too broad to I opted for the family question. I had a feeling the shields would come up - did anyone do this one?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I hardly ever plan my responses. I told my English teacher a few weeks back and you should've seen the dread slowly fall across her face... I never have enough time, and I feel I'd rather get more actual content down than take 10 minutes to write a plan worth nothing. It's why I hate examination - timing. How can they expect to write 3 essays in 2 hours? Because it takes me longer to formulate an answer, does that make me a worse candidate? It's dumb and frustrating.

Yeah, I had a clash last week. In fairness, I had a good chat with the invigilator whilst she monitored me to the smoking area... I'm also the only male in my Classics class, so as you can imagine, all the menial jobs such as moving desks and turning on the projector (which is always like 40ft off the ground... why?!) fall to me. Bad times.
    Oh no the gothic paper? Mine went horrifically and I am haunted by my lack of exam technique. This was the first paper/essay even that I've ever planned for. Preach. So true. I always find as well that I forget everything in the lead up to and during the exam then remember everything as soon as I'm out of the hall.

You get monitored to a smoking area?! Must be some nice invigilators! Aha I can imagine. Sounds like not a bad set up though! Couldn't imagine doing classiv in a controlled class environment as opposed to cramming both topics from scratch over a 4 day period. My method is hectic (lazy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanessadixit)
    I thought the Virgil paper was quite mean today! I told myself for weeks that I wouldn't do any Iliad/Aeneid questions as I knew the Aeneid alone enough, but when it came down to it I didn't even recognise the Book 1 passage with Neptune (the wording - I think I read a different translation) and the Aeneas characterisation question was too broad to I opted for the family question. I had a feeling the shields would come up - did anyone do this one?
    I found myself in this exact position. It takes extra time to do the comparison question so I was planning to steer clear but the first question didn't sit right for some reason. I did Q2 and the family question. I considered Aeneas as a character but then thought I might run out of interesting things to say beyond stoicism which could be incorporated into the family question anyway (I hope)

ReputationRep:
    that 2b) question was ridiculous

luckily 1 a+b were easy

the essays werent too bad either

ReputationRep:
    I found myself in this exact position. It takes extra time to do the comparison question so I was planning to steer clear but the first question didn't sit right for some reason. I did Q2 and the family question. I considered Aeneas as a character but then thought I might run out of interesting things to say beyond stoicism which could be incorporated into the family question anyway (I hope)

Same! I couldn't think of any credible arguments for balance for the characterisation question either. Fingers crossed we did alright!

ReputationRep:

I did the same as you, however think I coked up the question about the weapons and stuff as I spent ages describing the significance of the images of each of the shields, as it said use this as a starting point. I managed to get a few things in about other significant things with weapons and stuff e.g. Glaukos and Diomedes and Xenia-exchange of armour (idea of gold fro bronze), use of the gods Athena fools hektor as deiphobus and gives Achilleus his spear which kills Hektor and compared this to book 12 of Aeneid. When Turnus prays to the gods of the land to prevent Aeneas taking the spear out and his mum (venus) comes and helps him and that spear is used to kill Turnus. Whole idea of the shattering of the sword. However forgot to go on about the armour's being divine, Hektor with Astuanax when he scares him and the imagery and characterisation of the weapons. Like in the Aeneid the weapons like a spear flying through the air is described as seige artillery which is only relavant then and not in the Bronze age with the Greeks. .

I did family aswell. Mostly around Hektor and his family and a bit on farther son relationships and Nisus and Euryalus and Amata and Turnus act as a family.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the Roman History (Abuse of power in the late republic) 81bc-41BC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_lou)
    Oh yeah that sounds about right, fingers crossed for 15th august! Got any more exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep i have on on Friday the 14th and one of the 20th.. and then im free can not wait wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by propagation)
    I did the same as you, however think I coked up the question about the weapons and stuff as I spent ages describing the significance of the images of each of the shields, as it said use this as a starting point. I managed to get a few things in about other significant things with weapons and stuff e.g. Glaukos and Diomedes and Xenia-exchange of armour (idea of gold fro bronze), use of the gods Athena fools hektor as deiphobus and gives Achilleus his spear which kills Hektor and compared this to book 12 of Aeneid. When Turnus prays to the gods of the land to prevent Aeneas taking the spear out and his mum (venus) comes and helps him and that spear is used to kill Turnus. Whole idea of the shattering of the sword. However forgot to go on about the armour's being divine, Hektor with Astuanax when he scares him and the imagery and characterisation of the weapons. Like in the Aeneid the weapons like a spear flying through the air is described as seige artillery which is only relavant then and not in the Bronze age with the Greeks. .

I did family aswell. Mostly around Hektor and his family and a bit on farther son relationships and Nisus and Euryalus and Amata and Turnus act as a family.
    You just made me realise how much I missed out in the Iliad... The xenia point is very good, and important too and I hadn't thought of it! Gaah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.