Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)
    He attacks people that say that it is definitively increasing CO2 emissions that is causing climate change which is completely unproven.
    He does far more than that. The Telegraph and other right wing sources regularly give him a large megaphone to sound off on all aspects of AGW, which according to the great scientist Delingpole (lol) is all just a great big conspiracy. Shame he has no scientific background whatever, but that doesn't seem to stop him, or those who employ him.

A classic case of the cynical employing the clueless to convince the gullible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Wasn't the original phrase, "if you're not liberal when you're young, etc" - and it was a Frenchman, Francois Guizot who first said it?

According to his Wikipedia entry, the original quote was:

[/I]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Guizot
    Yeah. It's a nice little phrase to casually throw into an irrelevant debate if you're a conservative running short of ways to feel smug about your existence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Yeah. It's a nice little phrase to casually throw into an irrelevant debate if you're a conservative running short of ways to feel smug about your existence
    Never mind that conservatism now is entirely different now than what it was 50 years ago, or 100 years ago.

Half the problem is that people identify themselves with liberalism or conservatism without knowing what they actually mean. Then meaning is even more ambiguous because they're subjective terms.

"Quotes from historical figures are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike"

I said that. All hail me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    What you are saying is Farage has never held public office.
    Err

European parliament much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYJHtexQbU

What's that for public office? He runs the only opposition group in the EU. You cannot compromise with communist nutters like Barroso and Rompuy.

Poor old Gideon found that out when he went there to negotiate the EU contributions and lost 26 to 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    Never mind that conservatism now is entirely different now than what it was 50 years ago, or 100 years ago.

Half the problem is that people identify themselves with liberalism or conservatism without knowing what they actually mean. Then meaning is even more ambiguous because they're subjective terms.

"Quotes from historical figures are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike"

I said that. All hail me.
    Excellent quote. You may now add it to your Wikipedia entry. Or not, as the case may be.

Personally, I quite like old quotes and find them helpful - like most people, I just kind of 'project' modern meanings and interpretations onto them. That's also the basis of most religions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)
    Err

What's that for public office? He runs the only opposition group in the EU. You cannot compromise with communist nutters like Barroso and Rompuy.

Poor old Gideon found that out when he went there to negotiate the EU contributions and lost 26 to 1.
    Has he even attended it much? I thought he only turns up to make trouble from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)
    Err

I have highlighted the key word.

Has he ever so much as run the public loos committee of his local parish council?

ReputationRep:
    Has he even attended it much? I thought he only turns up to make trouble from time to time.
    He does go often. I imagine it's frustrating when you are one of the only sole voices of reason in an establishment of invincible ignorance.

He is currently doing a 30 day tour around the UK to visit local halls to spread the UKIP "trouble".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)
    He is currently doing a 30 day tour around the UK to visit local halls to spread the UKIP "trouble".
    A 30 day tour, wowza, he's a total rock star! :adore: I would so love to be at one of those halls, listening to the great man's great words. It must be so moving to be in at the early days of the rise of a new fuhrer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toothfairy123)
    Ron Paul a white supremacist. Please ! He is the only U.S. politician whose world view had any resemblance at all to reality and who speaks the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...t-jesse-benton

ReputationRep:
    If you could argue with a libertarian, there'd be no libertarians.

ReputationRep:
    Delingpole is an almost perfect idiot, he really never, ever gets a point quite right and his pontificating on climate change, a subject he visibly knows nothing about, is laughable and absurd. I sometimes feel quite embarrassed that I am at the same university he attended, but then he was a good pal of Cameron and Johnson, which says quite a lot I think.

Farage is a "man of the real world"? Yes, if you call being a commodities broker "real world". It's hardly driving a bus, is it.
    +1.

And there's not much of an "increasing overwhelming support" for Farage either.

ReputationRep:
    A 30 day tour, wowza, he's a total rock star! :adore: I would so love to be at one of those halls, listening to the great man's great words. It must be so moving to be in at the early days of the rise of a new fuhrer.
    I've got so many more important things to do...

Listen... UKIP are massively rising through the ranks, no matter what petty remarks you make.

Good day madam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    If you could argue with a libertarian, there'd be no libertarians.
    Their entire philosophy is based on freedom being the freedom to starve. Risible.

ReputationRep:
    Your thread starting puts most people in the shade. I detect something almost robotic in your personality. Are you part man, part UKIP?
    Whatever do you mean- it was me battling the far-right IAmThatcher lol when she was talking about privatising education and the NHS!

I'm a Compassionate Conservative if anything- I'm certainly not robotic

You may be 'full of surprises' but I'm not 'full of robots' loool

How do I put people in the shade , btw ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Their entire philosophy is based on freedom being the freedom to starve. Risible.
    Ayn Rand appeared to believe it a moral crime to show concern for one's own children or to engage in any type of co-operative or altruistic action whatsoever. Says it all really. It's just a sad commentary on our current climate that this mad woman is regarded as saintly by loads of people.

ReputationRep:
    Ayn Rand appeared to believe it a moral crime to show concern for one's own children or to engage in any type of co-operative or altruistic action whatsoever. Says it all really. It's just a sad commentary on our current climate that this mad woman is regarded as saintly by loads of people.
    Don't get me started on Rand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    The neg brigade are worse believe me,
    Loool I and you got negged for that post

ReputationRep:
    Ayn Rand was a sociopath.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it was a Frenchman, Francois Guizot who first said it.

According to his Wikipedia entry, the original quote was:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Guizot
    Looks like the clock is ticking for you Fullofsurprises lool!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.