Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laice)
    Ooops, sorry for the slight misinformation! I was much more focussed on the non-London universities when I applied and I should've double-checked UCL/City's entry requirements before replying. Hope I didn't worry you too much

You definitely seem to have a lot of experience already and a keen interest in the subject matter, so just keep it up and I'm sure either will be lucky to have you Best of luck!

Hi

That's ok! I did want to go to Reading, but they do want you to have a relevant degree.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what holidays city have? Is it just easter and Christmas?

ReputationRep:
    Reading is great but they only have few places and getting in is extremely tough from what I have heard. I did my MSc at UCL a few years ago, it is very demanding with a punishing timetable, 9-5 five days a week. Four days at uni and one on placement. Five weeks holiday, a bit like a full-time job. Would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat! I loved the course and I love being a speech and language therapist. Good luck to everyone pursuing this career.

Nataliex22 you may try asking the programme administrator at City for a timetable outline. At UCL we had Christmas, Easter, 2 weeks in the summer and an additional week depending on block placement dates.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Natalie, congratulations for getting on to the City course

Since you've now been accepted, I wondered if you'd be able to tell me a bit about your degree and your experience and application, just as a bit of guidance and an idea of what they might be looking for.

thanks, and well done again!

Louise x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nataliex22)
    Does anyone know what holidays city have? Is it just easter and Christmas?
    You have Christmas and Easter, roughly three-four weeks each I think but they both roll into study leave/there are deadlines straight after so I can't remember exactly. There's enough time for a bit of a break but you also have quite a lot to do if that makes sense!

There is a reading week in October and in feb but placement continues there just aren't lectures.

After Easter you have exams are in may, placement is for five weeks after that, there's a clinical exam beginning of July and then that's it until October unless you have resits. So three months off. Similar in second year and finish placement and clinical exam mid July

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info on holidays! It doesn't seem as bad as I thought.

Hi Louise!
    I have a degree from Kings College in English language and communication. I learnt a lot about speech therapy on my course including psycholinguistics (areas associated with language in the brain) and phonetics (phonemic alphabet etc). I also tried to gain as much experience on each sector as possible.

I volunteered at my local hospital for 6 months - I worked in the stroke unit with the speech therapy team. After that I shadowed a speech therapist in a clinical environment for one month. I then had the opportunity to shadow the head speech therapist at a learning and development centre for children under the age of 10. I had the chance to work with children with language delays, autism and selective mutes. The building was also attached to a special needs school so we would also see children from there too in their classroom environment. Lastly, I volunteered at a local SLT stroke club. The elderly that had suffered from a stroke could meet to gain more confidence having a conversation and practicing rehabilitating their language skills.

I think it's important to try to get experience working in schools, hospitals and clinics with both children and adults! If you can show that on your application I'm sure they will be impressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much Natalie, that's really helpful I've worked as an ABA tutor for autistic children for 3 years and also volunteer every week with the Stroke Association as well as having shadowed various speech and language therapists that I've been lucky to have contact with. I also have a 2:1 in Psychology. I've just started work as a speech and language assistant and will keep going until I am successful! Everyone on here is very supportive and I also get the feeling that many people are unsure about what exactly the universities are looking for. Your help and everyone else who has been successful is much appreciated so thanks very much. Perseverance and confidence goes a long way too! xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow aspiring speechies!

I hope everyone's applications are going well and that people are starting to receive some good news!

I was just wondering if anyone else had received an offer from Newcastle? So excited to be starting the course in September!

Devon x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devon_B)
    Hi fellow aspiring speechies!

I hope everyone's applications are going well and that people are starting to receive some good news!

I was just wondering if anyone else had received an offer from Newcastle? So excited to be starting the course in September!

Devon x
    Hi I have an offer from Newcastle! Another girl has set up a page on FB MSc Language Pathology 2014. Cant wait to meet everyone! x

ReputationRep:
    Whoa,

Just got accepted to UCL. Cannot believe it. Only had my interview yesterday and thought it had gone badly. It just goes to show that you never know.
    I've now been accepted to three universities for the MSc in SLT, two being UCL and Uni of Limerick in Ireland which were my top 2 Uni choices. I'm in such a state of shock but so delighted and I hope that others are receiving the same good fortune as myself.

All the hard work really does pay off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DANI_F)
    Whoa,

Just got accepted to UCL. Cannot believe it. Only had my interview yesterday and thought it had gone badly. It just goes to show that you never know.
    I've now been accepted to three universities for the MSc in SLT, two being UCL and Uni of Limerick in Ireland which were my top 2 Uni choices. I'm in such a state of shock but so delighted and I hope that others are receiving the same good fortune as myself.

Hi congrats on the offers! Did you have a phone interview with UCL? How did they contact you to say that you were successful? I'm hoping to go there in September but I had my interview a week ago and we were told that we wouldn't hear anything until the middle of February

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whoa,

Congrats !!!! That's great news, UCL is a great place, did my undergrad degree there :-)
    hard work really does pay off, good luck with it all x

ReputationRep:
    Whoa,

Hi

Congrats!!!!!

What work experience did you have?

ReputationRep:
    Hello I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything from Sheffield? I had my interview a few weeks ago and not sure when we hear back either way, just want to know haha x

ReputationRep:
    Whoa,

Congrats on all your offers! Are you thinking of accepting UCL? I was made an offer there too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaKosinski)
    Hello I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything from Sheffield? I had my interview a few weeks ago and not sure when we hear back either way, just want to know haha x
    Hey, I am still waiting to hear from them as well. Did you apply anywhere else? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smorsgabord)
    Hi congrats on the offers! Did you have a phone interview with UCL? How did they contact you to say that you were successful? I'm hoping to go there in September but I had my interview a week ago and we were told that we wouldn't hear anything until the middle of February
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much Smorgasbord.
    No, I had an interview at Chandler House yesterday. We were also told we wouldn't hear until mid-late Feb but Anna emailed me this morning so I was told less than 24 hours after my interview. I was very surprised to hear so quickly. Delighted isn't the word. She passed on lovely things that the interview panel said which was really sweet. It felt very personal. I have to really weigh up my options because the courses are all so good.
    I hope you receive good news from UCL. Best of luck.

(Original post by smileyx123x)
    Congrats !!!! That's great news, UCL is a great place, did my undergrad degree there :-)
    hard work really does pay off, good luck with it all x
    Thank you Smiley,
    I'm over the moon. It's a great uni. Now it's decision time and I don't know where to go. It's the best position to be in but it makes choosing very difficult but I definitely cannot complain.

(Original post by Adesola)
    Hi

Congrats!!!!!

What work experience did you have?
    Thank you Adesola,
    I volunteered part-time as a care assistant with dysphagic elderly individuals following stroke as well as those suffering from dementia for a year, Volunteered as a Conversation Partner with individuals following Stroke, and I currently work (unpaid unfortunately) as an SLTA in a community multidisciplinary clinic. I've been working in this position for about 4 months.
    The one thing I can tell you is the volume of experience in terms of hours is not important. What seems to be important is variety of client groups and personal reflection on your experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_roche)
    Congrats on all your offers! Are you thinking of accepting UCL? I was made an offer there too!
    Thank you Ellie and congratulations to you too.
    When was your interview and when did you find out?

I'm going to have to weigh up my options carefully. I never expected to get any offer never mind several to such good universities. I'm in shock but so delighted.
    Anna has been so nice and she told me that the panel had a feeling I would receive several offers and fingers crossed I would choose to go there.

Are you accepting your offer? Did you apply anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    Whoa,

Congrats DANI_F! Fantastic news – you must be SO pleased!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Dani, my interview was on the 14th Jan and I found out really soon after as well. Still waiting to hear from Sheffield now but so tempted by UCL - totally loved the department when I went for interview. But I'll hold out to see if I get lucky with Sheffield before accepting UCL. Part of me just wants to accept it in case it disappears.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.