Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRH_)
    i think it depends what for, i still use tony blair examples from 2005 for voting systems and it hasnt gone against me and i comapre 2004 and 2008 for the USA obama effect
    My teacher lectured me for using something about Tony Blair in my voting behavior essays. She said it was not "recent enough". So I did very poorly on that essay. But I got all these examples from the How to Pass Higher Modern Studies book which is actually pretty relevant to today still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)
    Seriously, are we allowed to use examples that are that old? I'm just wary that the examiners will not like that...even I think using examples from pre-2008 are pretty out-of-date. will it count against me?
    Obviously the more recent the better, but I'd say any after 2000. I remember my lecturer having a rant about people still using 'the Sun wot won it' example in the media question, even though most of them weren't even born in 1992 . Compared to that 2000 onwards is bang up to date

ReputationRep:
    My teacher lectured me for using something about Tony Blair in my voting behavior essays. She said it was not "recent enough". So I did very poorly on that essay. But I got all these examples from the How to Pass Higher Modern Studies book which is actually pretty relevant to today still.
    I'm using that book as well, and in the marking instructions on the SQA there are some more recent examples.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got any specifics other than just devolution on what to revise for on the devolved making in scotland. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaLee123)
    Anybody got any specifics other than just devolution on what to revise for on the devolved making in scotland. thanks
    I know devolution, role/powers of MSPs and the relationship between Holyrood and Westminster. Giving local government a miss since it came up last year (risky but shh..) - just hoping it's one of those that comes up!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by amber_sss)
    This is such a huge help!! Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries, good luck! :yy:

(Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    In need of urgent help for the DME. How can I stop waffling? I've been getting mediocre/average marks for the DME (20/30) because I seem to make my first couple of arguments extremely long-winded and repetitive. This, obviously, means that I usually end up having say, 3 arguments for and only 1 against. I know the DME can be a potentially very high-scoring paper and I NEED to sort this out by Thursday.
    Isn't the DME only out of 20? Anyway, just stick to a structure. Introduce your argument, explain it concisely and briefly, back it up using the sources and background knowledge and move on. For the rebuttal side: introduce the argument that someone would give, then do your 'However' section and introduce your argument, concisely explain it, backing yourself up with sources and BK. If you find you're repeating yourself, just think you won't get any more marks for something you've basically already said in other words. Try and keep it as concise and as professional as possible. You should be able to get 3 well formed arguments on each side.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to an example of an AMS vs FPTP essay or even just an essay plan? I'm fine with all the other essay questions in that topic, but my notes and knowledge on AMS is lacking...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    No worries, good luck! :yy:

Isn't the DME only out of 20? Anyway, just stick to a structure. Introduce your argument, explain it concisely and briefly, back it up using the sources and background knowledge and move on. For the rebuttal side: introduce the argument that someone would give, then do your 'However' section and introduce your argument, concisely explain it, backing yourself up with sources and BK. If you find you're repeating yourself, just think you won't get any more marks for something you've basically already said in other words. Try and keep it as concise and as professional as possible. You should be able to get 3 well formed arguments on each side.
    My teacher says you need more on the side you support. She recommends 4:3 but I will never get that much done in the time allocated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animelover123)
    Is anyone else Freaking out for the exam on Thursday.... ITS TOO SOON:eek:
    YES!!! Haven't got enough time!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    struggling to find some background knowledge (relevant examples) that i could use for the question "to what extent do ethnic minorities achieve the american dream" .
    any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fjords)
    Does anyone have a link to an example of an AMS vs FPTP essay or even just an essay plan? I'm fine with all the other essay questions in that topic, but my notes and knowledge on AMS is lacking...
    Yeah I need help with this too!!! ^^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollieeilloh)
    I know devolution, role/powers of MSPs and the relationship between Holyrood and Westminster. Giving local government a miss since it came up last year (risky but shh..) - just hoping it's one of those that comes up!
    thats what ive been revising too! but just wanted to see other peoples opinions. I too havent bothered with local government either if it makes you feel any better hahaha as i thought the same as you, came up last year about LA less likely to be about that. Id prefer devolved than LA anyday!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    My teacher says you need more on the side you support. She recommends 4:3 but I will never get that much done in the time allocated.
    I always did 3 on each side and I seemed to do well :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    thats what ive been revising too! but just wanted to see other peoples opinions. I too havent bothered with local government either if it makes you feel any better hahaha as i thought the same as you, came up last year about LA less likely to be about that. Id prefer devolved than LA anyday!
    Hahaha it does! Just pray it's not twice in a row! Yeah exactly, devolution was in our prelim so hoping for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollieeilloh)
    Hahaha it does! Just pray it's not twice in a row! Yeah exactly, devolution was in our prelim so hoping for that

Looking at the past papers theres been a few years gap between the LA questions so fingers cross
    What chance do you think the Q the relationship between Holyrood and Westminster will come up? My teacher said this wont come up because the only question they will ask about on Westminster is the Q with Westminster representation. Im thinking shes probably wrong cause that Q hasnt come up in recent years lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber_sss)
    Yeah I need help with this too!!! ^^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not an example, but here's the marking instructions for the last time that question came up

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/pap...per-1_2007.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the past papers theres been a few years gap between the LA questions so fingers cross
    What chance do you think the Q the relationship between Holyrood and Westminster will come up? My teacher said this wont come up because the only question they will ask about on Westminster is the Q with Westminster representation. Im thinking shes probably wrong cause that Q hasnt come up in recent years lol...
    Uh well I'd say devolution is a lot more likely than both because it's been longer, but who knows the SQA are crazy and stuff.
    I'd know the relationship between the 2 anyways, because if the worst happens, representation is pretty similar and I'm sure you'd manage to use the information you already know to fit the question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)
    Not an example, but here's the marking instructions for the last time that question came up

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/pap...per-1_2007.pdf
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)
    Obviously the more recent the better, but I'd say any after 2000. I remember my lecturer having a rant about people still using 'the Sun wot won it' example in the media question, even though most of them weren't even born in 1992 . Compared to that 2000 onwards is bang up to date
    Damn. In the AMS vs FPTP essay I've been using the landslide victories for Labour in the 1997 and 2001 elections as one of my points. Basically how their landslide victories allowed them a majority government which is allowed them to push through manifesto promises such as the devolved scottish parliament.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone doing South Africa have any predictions? My teacher thinks it will be on social and economic policies but there are so many questions that could be like that. Any other inputs?

Thanks!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.