Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea which three to choose. The only definite one is Edge Hill for me, but I'm unsure about the others, and I don't know whether to make one of my choices schools direct, even though I'd prefer the uni route there is a provider near me for the SD route. Don't know! I will have to decide sharpish. I'm hoping to commute you see, so want to think of places near me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I was just wondering if anyone knew if we were able to register an account for the gttr/ucas pgce application now, so we would be able to fill in personal details, personal statement etc to save time and then on the 1st of November send off the application?

I'm very confused about the whole application process so any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graceindia)
    Hi all I was just wondering if anyone knew if we were able to register an account for the gttr/ucas pgce application now, so we would be able to fill in personal details, personal statement etc to save time and then on the 1st of November send off the application?

I'm very confused about the whole application process so any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!
    Don't think you can register until October when it opens for 2014 entry. Is it now November where you can send it off? I thought you could send it in October provided you had your reference done and payment etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Don't think you can register until October when it opens for 2014 entry. Is it now November where you can send it off? I thought you could send it in October provided you had your reference done and payment etc?
    I believe it is November 1st. And yeah, I don't think you can register first. It stresses me out a lot because it would be a lot easier, but I will signing up and then nagging the references asap!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we can sit our QTS tests?

I wanted to take mine as soon as possible after application so they were done before any possible interviews, but we can't sign up and book them yet and I'm conscious that if we become able to do so too close to applications then there'll be a mad rush!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SNichol)

I wanted to take mine as soon as possible after application so they were done before any possible interviews, but we can't sign up and book them yet and I'm conscious that if we become able to do so too close to applications then there'll be a mad rush!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am fearing that the mad rush will be inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    I am fearing that the mad rush will be inevitable.
    Definitely. I'm expecting them (though I'm not sure why) to be able to be booked after September - once the 2013 entrants have started their courses.

Some of my options for applications, in fact most of them, stipulate that they prefer them to be passed before interview - already bracing myself for the rush to get things sorted!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can book them at any time! But you can't sit them til you've applied. So you may want to book them for the very beginning of November so they are done in time for any interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    You can book them at any time! But you can't sit them til you've applied. So you may want to book them for the very beginning of November so they are done in time for any interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "Note: Do not book to take the skills tests if you are a 2014/15 applicant. Bookings for applicants starting ITT courses in 2014/15 will open later in 2013. Any bookings made before this time will be cancelled."

Taken directly from the education.gov page regarding QTS tests! This is what panics me - when in 2013?

ReputationRep:
    It would be good to know if the application form is very similar or not to previous years - for the length of personal statements etc!

ReputationRep:
    I'd already applied last year and decided to take the QTS tests and get them out of the way. I'm hoping that they will still be valid for next years application.
    The changes to the system have me a bit scared.
    There are only 2 local (local being VERY loose) unis that do a pgce for my course and obviously the places are snapped up quickly. The School Direct course are also limited and I've only ever seen one vacancy for each place offering it. I fear that now I can't apply for both separately, my chances have scuppered slightly

I think the system might be good to get people allocated in first-ish choices before January then everyone else gets to see what's left, but usually with Drama, everywhere tends to be gone by that time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't even considered doing the QTS tests this year!! I haven't seen it as a requirement or preference on any of my uni choice websites, so I'm hoping I'll be okay. I am going to be so swamped in first semester with work, so I really don't know if I would have time to be revising for the tests as well as focusing on third year work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I hadn't even considered doing the QTS tests this year!! I haven't seen it as a requirement or preference on any of my uni choice websites, so I'm hoping I'll be okay. I am going to be so swamped in first semester with work, so I really don't know if I would have time to be revising for the tests as well as focusing on third year work...
    After you apply and get your welcome pack, you will be able to book your skills tests. I did mine pre-interview which they really liked- showed I was committed and organised. The content is GCSE level, so you shouldn't need to revise.
    Best of luck to everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I'm expecting them (though I'm not sure why) to be able to be booked after September - once the 2013 entrants have started their courses.

Some of my options for applications, in fact most of them, stipulate that they prefer them to be passed before interview - already bracing myself for the rush to get things sorted!
    Sounds like yet another ill thought out idea by UCAS, the organisation really is a total shambles.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

To be honest I'm a bit scared of Numeracy Test, because it will be toughen up!

I was wondering whether we'll have enough time to revise properly... (I want to do it right now but I dunno what I can revise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    After you apply and get your welcome pack, you will be able to book your skills tests. I did mine pre-interview which they really liked- showed I was committed and organised. The content is GCSE level, so you shouldn't need to revise.
    Best of luck to everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the info. Judging by the QTS tests 2013 thread though, I will have to revise! Many people seem to be struggling with the current tests, let alone the new ones coming in for 2014 entry that are supposed to be harder, so I don't really want to just stroll into the exam unprepared. It's the maths that worries me. I got an A at GCSE but I will struggle seeing as I haven't done any maths for about five years!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neonlj)
    I'd already applied last year and decided to take the QTS tests and get them out of the way. I'm hoping that they will still be valid for next years application.
    The changes to the system have me a bit scared.
    There are only 2 local (local being VERY loose) unis that do a pgce for my course and obviously the places are snapped up quickly. The School Direct course are also limited and I've only ever seen one vacancy for each place offering it. I fear that now I can't apply for both separately, my chances have scuppered slightly

I think the system might be good to get people allocated in first-ish choices before January then everyone else gets to see what's left, but usually with Drama, everywhere tends to be gone by that time anyway.
    The tests are valid for 3 years. I did mine last year too so I would not be very happy to do them again, especially when I managed to do them in my last year at uni when I was very busy anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gio')
    Hi all,

To be honest I'm a bit scared of Numeracy Test, because it will be toughen up!

I was wondering whether we'll have enough time to revise properly... (I want to do it right now but I dunno what I can revise)
    I've done a few of the current practice ones online and passed no problem.

I am absolutely rubbish at maths, always have been, literally only just scraped a C at GCSE and my mental arithmetic leaves a lot to be desired!

Luckily, they're not based around algebra or anything, the tests are designed to ensure you can handle actual processes that teachers have to do - statistics etc. Which I suppose is fair, because we'll all need them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    Sounds like yet another ill thought out idea by UCAS, the organisation really is a total shambles.
    It does, the application process both baffles and frustrates me more by the week. It'll all be worth it in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone I hope all of you will be lucky in their applications this year!
    I am applying too and I have two main questions that I hope someone will be able to help me with!
    -Can I apply for both PGCE and other masters (in different unis) now that it's all through UCAS? Cause I know it was possible last year!
    -I am Italian, and I will officially graduate between November and December (I am done with exams and I already know my graduation mark, it's just I will HAVE the official diploma in December, probably). Do you think that would be a problem?
    Thanks everyone!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.