Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You're not the only one!!! My life is over. I really don't know what to do, going to have a long hard think about things...
    Chemistry had the harshest marking I have ever seen practically no one in my school passed it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely thinking of getting all my papers remarked except AS History! I did edexcel AS biology and my teacher gave me 60 UMS full marks for the course work and they marked it down to 45 UMS which is a B but I dot get why because I explicitly followed the mark scheme in the end I got a B for AS bio with 6 UMS off an A! aaaand I want to apply for Medicine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    One word.

Gove.
    what did he do?

ReputationRep:
    In English Literature I had a B, really gutted because I was expecting an A. My teacher said that the grade boundaries were raised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedomtocreate)
    In English Literature I had a B, really gutted because I was expecting an A. My teacher said that the grade boundaries were raised.
    Feel for me...

I got a D. I got a D in the exam, when last year I would've got a high C/low B. My English teacher is also useless and didn't help our class with the C/W - so everyone got Ds in their C/W. I got the highest English grade in my class. And I go to one of the best state colleges in the SE of England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G i l l)
    Feel for me...

I got a D. I got a D in the exam, when last year I would've got a high C/low B. My English teacher is also useless and didn't help our class with the C/W - so everyone got Ds in their C/W. I got the highest English grade in my class. And I go to one of the best state colleges in the SE of England.
    That's not really fair, I mean the coursework plays a hefty part in the results. What are you going to do then resit or remark? I'm going back to college. I was in sixth form and the teachers there are spread way too thin. One time I didn't have an English lesson in three weeks, we were all panicking. Did you do English Lit or language? If you are doing English Lit tell me what books you were studying if your resitting and doing the same books as I did I could send you my notes.

ReputationRep:
    They were marked so harshly. I got ADD and In one of the exams where I got a D, I just don't know where I went wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G i l l)
    Feel for me...

Ditto the offer to send notes if you share a book with me, I did enduring love and Gatsby and coursework was A Midsummer Nights Dream and The History Boys lemme know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did Paradise Lost book 9, I did Paradise Lost book 1 for coursework so I have some notes if anyone wants them. Also I did King Lear and Oedipus Rex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acer0951)
    I'm genuinely thinking of getting all my papers remarked except AS History! I did edexcel AS biology and my teacher gave me 60 UMS full marks for the course work and they marked it down to 45 UMS which is a B but I dot get why because I explicitly followed the mark scheme in the end I got a B for AS bio with 6 UMS off an A! aaaand I want to apply for Medicine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This happened to me aswell. I'm gonna speak with my teachers in September - it makes no sense whatsoever - i'm really upset, i got a B in Biology just because of my coursework (which was supposedly A grade standard) and went down to a C...
    AHHHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worms)
    Helllloooo!

Nope sorry, I did modern Germany (forgotten time frame already) and early tudors (I have also forgotten the time frame for this module), although I do think I am doing that module or a similar Russian history module for A2 next year!

How did you find it?
    ahh fair enough ! i thought it went really really well , but i did the History : Modern 1795-2003 exam ( Russian one haha) and the History : Modern 1815-1945 - although i 1900-1924 on that one.

came out of the russian one CONFIDENT of full ums , was certain i'd nailed the both 50 markers , one of them i'd prepared a plan for just before the exam and everything ( got lucky and guessed the three questions haha ) applied correct structure and everything ...

got 80/100. borderline A. i know it's not a bad mark , but really annoyed considering i thought i would have got atleast 90 !

how about you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganRok)
    24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

it is harsh every single year . get over it

ReputationRep:
    This is the exact reason why I think Michael Gove made a very stupid decision scrapping January exams. It seems like he wants to filter out the lazy people from getting into university, and stopping resits for those who don't work hard enough in the first place. Yet, I can see so many students who genuinely worked incredibly hard over the year but have ended up with a result that they aren't happy with at all. Students are actually paying the ridiculous prices to get their script back and for remarks because they are generally at a loss at what happened. I can see so many students who are motivated to turn their results around, even though they worked incredibly hard and they are disheartened by their results, they're still determined to turn it around. I think we can all agree that learning all the content for an exam, revising it and then doing past papers can really take it out of you and having to resit just means you have to go through it all again - but thanks to Gove's wonderful plan, students now have to remember all the content to resit an exam, that they initially worked very hard for, a year later

Luckily I am very happy with my results, but a few of my module results made me realise how deceiving these exams can be. I started revision very early for F322 and worked harder for that exam that I did for any other - yet it was the result that shocked me seen as it was significantly lower than what I was expecting, despite the fact it was the exam I was the most confident with overall. It's natural to be disheartened, but I think a lot of us students eventually get over that and realise that to show our potential then we will have to work hard again and resit - but thanks to Gove's brilliant plan, we have to wait a whole year and add to the pressure in June. I really wish he could see the problems he is creating - he isn't filtering out lazy people, he is stopping motivated and determined students from fulfilling their potential. Making students do all the year's exams in on month doesn't test how intelligent they are, it just puts them under a lot of pressure and tests how many off days they have.

Sorry for the random Gove rant, needed to vent my anger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina8)
    Is it wise to recheck the AQA physics paper for unit 2? I was only 2 marks of an A
    I might be getting the whole remark thing with unit 2 then if that doesn't work then I'll have to resit I was predicted high B/low A and got a high C which is too weird to go unchecked!

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely. I got a D in English Literature when i was expecting a B/A. I worked so hard to get good grades for that exam and it's all been for nothing. I'm not doing it at university now, although i'm sort of glad i got a D because it's made me realise that i don't actually enjoy it that much anyway. It spoils books/poems/everything i like.

I got an A in RS though so i'm definitely keeping that on for uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    What? That made me feel like 10 times worse. Just as I was feeling hopeful. You don't understand, my grades are way worse than just a BBC. And I don't see the problem, If you retake the year and do better then how can that be a problem?
    Only if you apply to Oxbridge of somewhere in the 'elite' of RG or medicine/vet it becomes a problem.
    Otherwise it doesn't really matter to an extent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBC and expected really low grades so for my exams I felt they were fairly marked, but then again every subjects different. :-) I worked so hard for it though, and if you work hard and crack the technique and your away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    What? That made me feel like 10 times worse. Just as I was feeling hopeful. You don't understand, my grades are way worse than just a BBC. And I don't see the problem, If you retake the year and do better then how can that be a problem?
    Well i do apologize as i was only giving an example
    It's because the way some Universities look at it, you took two years doing your AS's, so when you apply in your A2 year, many will be skeptical that you can pass your A2's in just one year with good grades - as A2's are so much harder.
    Therefore, you may get amazing grades at AS and continue to receive good grades at A2, but on the other hand, the way the University looks at it, there may be many other applicants who achieved good grades in just two years and not three.
    Anyway, i'm not saying all Universities do this, but many will judge you on how many years you take resitting and stuff - my friend was rejected from two of his choices due to resitting his AS's, but they were Russel Group Uni's, so i guess that's understandable?

But anyway, it really does depend on what you want to apply to and where eventually. I agree that retaking the year can help you enormously so it's really your decision. I would, personally, retake the year, given the fact that there are no more January exams, so resitting modules along with your A2's would be extremely difficult and stressful!

ReputationRep:
    It was definitely harder but not over hard
    A* in my maths A level which I did a year early
    As in physics & politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Yh i haven't heard of anyone achieving more than an AA at AS this year?

I got AAAB. And a lot of people at my sixth form got AA+.
    maybe it is down to the college/sixth form not the marking?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.