Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have only been taught Liberal reforms and Labour for Britain, is there a chance neither will come up? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    hey does anyone have a women and the vote essay? no clue what to do for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeewoolfries)
    Hey guys, does anyone by any chance have a good Rise of Nazi's essay I could have a look at? Or a strong essay plan? much appreciated
    I've got this one is a bit too long and has a lot of unneeded information but it got 17/20 so hopefully you will find it useful

(sorry I wasn't sure how to add it as a document)

EDIT: I state in it that the weimar republic was created from the loss of the war which I think I remember my teacher saying was wrong

To what extent were the weaknesses of the Weimar republic the major reason for the rise of the Nazi party between 1919 and 1933?

When the First World War ended in 1918 Germany was left to take full responsibility for it by signing the Treaty of Versailles. As a result of this treaty Germany’s political system was destroyed and the Kaiser abdicated. The Weimar republic was created as a result of this. In the years after, Germany faced several more obstacles which were to turn many German citizens to the Nazis. Whilst the Weimar Republic did play a role in this, there were many other factors including the resentment towards the Treaty of Versailles and the social and economic difficulties Germany faced. The fact that the Nazis appealed to Germans and Hitler was there to lead them was also a big factor in the Nazi party’s success. This essay will discuss the role of the Weimar republic in the rise of the Nazis as well as the other factors that may have been responsible and come to a conclusion.

From the very beginning the Weimar Republic was opposed by much of the German population as Finlay McKichan said, it was “a republic that nobody wanted”. There were divisions amongst those who supported the republic and many people blamed the new leaders for Germany’s loss of the war. This may have caused people to turn to Hitler who might have seemed like a better leader compared to those who lost Germany the war. Another weakness of the republic was due to the fact Germany was now a democracy. Elections were to be determined through proportional representation which led to the growth of many small parties. This was how the Nazis came to be which shows that this particular weakness of the Weimar republic may have been the reason the Nazis ever existed and went on to gain power. This voting system was also flawed because it made it impossible for one party to gain a majority which meant that coalition governments were necessary. The parties in these coalitions often had very different ideas about how the country should be run which led to arguments and the coalitions falling apart. This allowed the Nazi party more of an opportunity to gain popularity as the government seemed weak to many people. In the Weimar republic, the president had a great deal of power and had the ability to rule by himself in times of crisis. It could be argued that this made people more open to the idea of one man, such as Hitler, ruling Germany which would have meant more people were open to the idea of Hitler and the Nazis. Another weakness of the republic was the uprising of the Freikorps in 1920. It caused the government to flee in fear and left the government under Wolfgang Kapp. The German workers were told to go on strike which resulted in the Freikorps leaving Berlin. This incident left many people feeling no loyalty towards the government which meant that people did not feel guilty for supporting the Nazis. While there is no denying that the weaknesses of the republic did not play a role in the rise of the Nazis, there are other factors that must be considered.

When the terms of the Treaty of Versailles were released, outrage flooded across Germany. Germans thought that the treaty was particularly harsh and were angry at having to accept blame for the war. A lot of the blame was put on the people who signed the Treaty who were known as the ‘November Criminals’. This blame weakened the republic and made people resent it even more which may have encouraged angry Germans who did not respect their leaders to support the Nazis. People also blamed other countries for Germany’s weaknesses and as Hugo Preuss noted, “The lament of so many…decent Germans about the burdens…inflicted by the Allies upon an innocent Germany…undermined democracy and facilitated the rise of Hitler”. There was also the ‘stabbed in the back’ myth going around which claimed that the treaty was signed because of discontents in the country rather than the army being unable to continue fighting. This caused people to distrust the leaders of the republic which pushed them in the direction of the Nazis. The terms of the Treaty meant that Germany lost territory. As well as Germany’s colonies being taken away, many Germans found themselves living under different governments. People felt a sense of injustice at these terms which drew them towards the Nazis who promised to abolish the Treaty of Versailles.

Another term of this Treaty was that Germany must pay £100 million in reparations per year for sixty-six years. With the costs of its own war effort and the loss of land as a result of the treaty Germany was unable to keep up with the payments. When they defaulted on a payment in 1923 the French and Belgians began to occupy the Ruhr, Germany’s most industrial area and the heart of the economy. This led to widespread unemployment in Germany which turned some to the Nazi party with the promise of more jobs. Hyperinflation took hold of Germany and soon money became worthless. People became ruined which caused them to support the Nazis in desperation for a capable leader. The middle class suffered most during this period of hyperinflation and resented the republic for the humiliation and ruin they had caused them. This resentment encouraged many middle class people to go to the Nazis. Hitler also used the hyperinflation as an opportunity to portray the republic as a failure. With his claims that only the Nazis could get Germany out of this mess, he turned people against the republic. With the leadership of Gustav Stresemann, Germany came back from hyperinflation and the Nazi party support decreased as the economy began to stabilise again. For several years, known as the ‘golden years’, the economy was stable until The Great Depression of 1929. This was caused by the Wall Street Crash in America and had a massive impact on Germany. It was so devastating to Germany because in order to get back on track with reparations and stabilise the economy, Germany had accepted loans from America. When the stock exchange collapsed America wanted all of the loans back from Germany which destroyed the German economy. The work of Stresemann, who had died before the depression, had been wiped out and Germany was again facing mass unemployment. People were once again desperate and with all hope seeming lost, many turned to the Nazis and the number of supporters soared. As John Hiden said, “The party derived enormous benefit from its continued effort to win over the rural population during crisis. To vote for Hitler was for many a rejection of the existing system”. The fact that, whenever the economy in Germany was particularly weakened, the Nazis gained a lot of support shows just how much of an effect the economic difficulties in Germany had on the rise of the Nazi party and it has been suggested that if the depression had not happened, the Nazis may have never gained power.

Although the economic difficulties played a huge role in the rise of the Nazis, if the Nazis did not appeal to people in times of financial struggle they would have not been successful. The Nazis had something for everyone with people being promised a less costly lifestyle, more jobs and the destruction of communism, Jewish banks and the Treaty of Versailles. The fact that the Nazis appealed to a huge range of people meant that they gained many supporters which shows that the appeal of them was an important factor. They also used a lot of propaganda and exploited media which gained support. They used the SA to give an appearance of discipline and order as well as a sense of violence which the Nazis promised to end. All of these methods won over a huge number of Germans and shows the importance of the appeal of the Nazis.

The leadership of Adolf Hitler was a big factor in the Nazis gaining power and, as decided by the authors of The Growth of Nationalism, “He was the Nazi Party’s greatest electoral asset”. He was an excellent public speaker who was said to speak in such a way that people felt almost mesmerised which was to prove extremely useful in gaining support for the party. He said what people wanted to hear and he used the Jews and the Weimar Republic as the ones to blame for all the problems Germany faced which gained further support for the party because people wanted to pin the blame on someone. He also expressed how most German citizens felt which gained support due to the fact that people felt like Hitler understood what they wanted. The role of Hitler in the rise of the Nazis was incredibly important and it could be said that if Hitler had not been in the Nazis, they would not have made it very far.

In conclusion, although the Economic difficulties, Appeal of the Nazis, The Treaty of Versailles and the role of Hitler all had large roles to play in the rise of the Nazis, the Weimar Republic was the biggest factor in gaining power for the Nazis. The Nazis may have not even existed if it was not for the republic and the other factors such as the economic difficulties can actually be traced back to the republic. The weaknesses of the Weimar republic were most likely the major reason for the rise of the Nazi party.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an essay on the obstacles to German unification? Haven't had time to look over this enough, and if there is no Nazi question then I need something to use as a back up! Would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiascott)
    Women would be a god send for me! I know nothing on the liberal reforms :confused: do you have an essay i could have a look at?
    I don't have my essays on me at all, but I could send you my plans for both essays which are basically essays without intros or conclusions if you want?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! you're a star

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlathIsMyBabe)
    For the USA topic, is anybody else quite confident that immigration and/or great depression will come up? i'm certain that one of the two will, probably alongside the New Deal since that hasn't come up in a while...but since civil rights comes up EVERY STINKIN YEAR i'm thinking that it'll come up this year again too. which i wouldn't mind if it was about obstacles because that's what i did my extended essay on! But since the past two years have been obstacles questions i doubt it'll come up

anyone else's predictions for USA? also I'm certain that women and a liberal reforms question will come up for britain. probably alongside a stupid democracy question
    I don't do the new deal or that but I was thinking that immigration could possible come up since it hasn't for a few years. There will most likely be 1 civil rights question as well though, that seems to be the recurring theme throughout the past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennamckinleyx)
    I don't have my essays on me at all, but I could send you my plans for both essays which are basically essays without intros or conclusions if you want?
    could you also send me your essay plan for women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCRMG)
    Talk about how before they were treated as second class citizens, inferior, expected to be housewives and rear children, owned by their husbands, weren't allowed to participate in politics as they were considered too emotional and it was feared it would make them lose their femininity, most women wanted the vote because they saw it as a way of improving their lives and position in society, etc.

wrote something along the same lines as that, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    yes please that would be fab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeewoolfries)
    Thanks so much! you're a star
    (Original post by nualamitchell)
    wrote something along the same lines as that, thank you!
    No problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlathIsMyBabe)
    For the USA topic, is anybody else quite confident that immigration and/or great depression will come up? i'm certain that one of the two will, probably alongside the New Deal since that hasn't come up in a while...but since civil rights comes up EVERY STINKIN YEAR i'm thinking that it'll come up this year again too. which i wouldn't mind if it was about obstacles because that's what i did my extended essay on! But since the past two years have been obstacles questions i doubt it'll come up

anyone else's predictions for USA? also I'm certain that women and a liberal reforms question will come up for britain. probably alongside a stupid democracy question
    Completly agree with everything your predicting haha. Iv looked at immigration and great depression and women and liberals. Hope it good questions. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amss__)
    I have only been taught Liberal reforms and Labour for Britain, is there a chance neither will come up? :eek:
    yes, there could be women and the vote and two essays on democracy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulineabbie)
    Completly agree with everything your predicting haha. Iv looked at immigration and great depression and women and liberals. Hope it good questions. Good luck
    thanks! good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    I don't do the new deal or that but I was thinking that immigration could possible come up since it hasn't for a few years. There will most likely be 1 civil rights question as well though, that seems to be the recurring theme throughout the past papers.
    yeah i know absolutely nothing about the new deal so i'm counting on immigration good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libra14)
    I really am counting on immigration to come up! Which would mean reasons for democracy would come up too, as I think if issue 1 comes up in Britain then issue 1 for every other topic has to come up. I really hope to be on safe ground tomorrow. I hope paper 2 is kind so if the essays don't go to plan, can always try and get as many marks from that to bump up a grade! Good Luck to you all!
    I've barely even revised paper 2 i'll need to do that tomorrow morning :/

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm revising essays tonight and paper 2 stuff tomorrow morning. I really hope Women comes up, that was my best essay and Why Appeasement since I did my extended essay on that.

ReputationRep:
    i'm really hoping paper 2 is okay, i do migration and empire and its so boring. That's probably why i've spent more time on the essays

ReputationRep:
    Hey, me again... do you guys have both liberal essays?? I'm gonna need to quickly make plans and stuff for them just now, i'm freaking out for paper 2

ReputationRep:
    There's too much to reviiiiiiiiiiisssseeeeeeeeeeeee
    Does anyone have good Reformation notes for paper 2?
    Notes or an Essay on maintaining power?
    And a Woman essay or notes?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.