Turn on thread page Beta

Law 2007 - Where are you applying? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I dont agree you should apply to oxford if you hate it, no matter how much you might regret it later, if its hte wrong choice now.... what are hte odds it will magically become the right choice? Also dont do keele for those reasons, thats ridiculous. Replace them with 2 good unis you would like to go to and tell ur tutor to pipe down, its your life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    :confused: :confused: :confused: I need some advice!!

I desperately need to confirm my six choices, but have so many mixed feelings. These were my six:

Oxford (don't want to go here, I don't think its my kind of place - but my head of Sixth Form says I should give it a go, and I'm not sure if I'd regret it if I didn't)
    LSE - visited and love it
    King's College London - visited and really liked it here too
    Warwick - never been (I'm on a field course during the open day!) but I've heard it highly reccommended.
    Durham - never been and don't know if I'd like it. Am also struggling to choose a college.
    Keele - really would never consider going here but my careers advisor said I need a low offer - and its ABB-BBB. I can also do dual honours with American Studies which is something I'm interested in.

I don't know whether to drop Durham and go for SOAS (which has options I'd enjoy, but its another high offer, AAA) or UCL (never visited). I also don't know whether its worth applying for Oxford or not, or whether to keep Keele even though I'd never go there! Argh!

I got 8 A* and 2 A at GCSE and am predicted AAA at A2.

I went to Durham yesterday, to see if I liked it as it was between Durham and Leeds for my final 6th uni.
    I chose Leeds.. Durham was quite bizarre actually - and not in a good way for me. It was like it had been cut off from everything that had happened since the 16th century. It was quite trippy, in a "We drove so long to get here, I think we've crossed into another time" kinda way. The people were quite medieval too...

If you like London (I'm guessing you do since you're deciding on whether to go there) you probably wont like Durham..
    That's my opinion from what I saw though - I'd definitely go and visit and see for yourself if that's at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serenity)
    I went to Durham yesterday, to see if I liked it as it was between Durham and Leeds for my final 6th uni.
    I chose Leeds.. Durham was quite bizarre actually - and not in a good way for me. It was like it had been cut off from everything that had happened since the 16th century. It was quite trippy, in a "We drove so long to get here, I think we've crossed into another time" kinda way. The people were quite medieval too...

If you like London (I'm guessing you do since you're deciding on whether to go there) you probably wont like Durham..
    That's my opinion from what I saw though - I'd definitely go and visit and see for yourself if that's at all possible.
    You might be right - it was the modern facilities of the LSE that attracted me there, like its fantastic library, so if Durham really is Medieval, then I'm not sure if it'll be the kind of place I'd like!

I live in the North West so I'd like to go a bit further afield than Manchester, Leeds etc.... but don't want to put all my eggs in the London basket.

If I'm not going with Keele, then I need another AAB offer :confused:

ReputationRep:
    when I visited durham I actually didnt like the uni at all. the place is really nice, but hte law school was really dingy and crap compared to others i saw.

ReputationRep:
    Where would you reccommend instead of Durham?

ReputationRep:
    bristol maybe, somwhere like that ...

ReputationRep:
    I've visited Bristol and Sheffield, and wasn't keen on either

ReputationRep:
    I've visited Bristol and Sheffield, and wasn't keen on either
    I'd say Leeds - but then you wanna be further away... Nottingham, Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff! hehe...

ReputationRep:
    Shameless plug there... I thought of birmingham as soon as I read it, and obv notts but I didnt wanna be biased.

ReputationRep:
    You might be right - it was the modern facilities of the LSE that attracted me there, like its fantastic library, so if Durham really is Medieval, then I'm not sure if it'll be the kind of place I'd like!

I live in the North West so I'd like to go a bit further afield than Manchester, Leeds etc.... but don't want to put all my eggs in the London basket.

If I'm not going with Keele, then I need another AAB offer :confused:
    If you don't want to go with Durham (don't blame you ) then I'd recommend replacing it with UCL...the Law dept there has a fantastic rep and I hear they have a great Law Society as well.

But I guess bear in mind I'm a bit biased towards the London Unis cos I love London so much :p: (seriously, it's the best place to be!)

ReputationRep:
    Its the best place to be after uni IMO, not so sure whilst ur a student unless you have serious cash from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snemapy)

Thanks M1kes, that's nice to hear lol I'm avoiding London for the simple reason that I can't afford to live there, sadly enough Where would you suggest as a 6th option or as a replacement for one of my other 5? I'm pretty open minded
    Warwick.
    Bristol.
    Nottingham.
    Durham

Any of those perhaps? Try and have a look around them if possible. I found Exeter thoroughly mundance, and left the law open day rather unimpressed.
    I understand London is very expensive, but you are going to have debt no matter where you go and it is not worth (IMO) limiting your education purely because of a few more grands of debt. heh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quetia20)
    If you don't want to go with Durham (don't blame you ) then I'd recommend replacing it with UCL...the Law dept there has a fantastic rep and I hear they have a great Law Society as well.

But I guess bear in mind I'm a bit biased towards the London Unis cos I love London so much :p: (seriously, it's the best place to be!)
    I think UCL might be in the running, but I don't know if three London unis out of 6 is a bit much :confused:

I don't like Birmingham or Nottingham, argh why am I so fussy!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think UCL might be in the running, but I don't know if three London unis out of 6 is a bit much :confused:

I don't like Birmingham or Nottingham, argh why am I so fussy!!!!!!
    your not as bad as me. out of my 6 choices i was only willing to go to 2 of them. if i didn't get in i was planning on reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    Well, depends how you feel about London - unless you really don't like the idea of being there (which I'm guessing isn't true if you loved LSE ), then it shouldn't be an issue.

And I don't think money should really be a problem - I know plenty of people who get on more than fine...plus you get a bigger loan in London, so more cash to burn (although yes, bigger debt )

ReputationRep:
    Does the bigger loan really cover the difference in accomodation feesetc?

ReputationRep:
    I loved the idea of being in London initially. Then I realised I would be commuting for (at least) 25minutes each way to get to Uni. Only made worse by the fact it would be on overcrowded public transport. Then the commuting time increases significantly when you have to move out somewhere in your 2nd year.. Mixed with the fact that I'm not terribly london style rich so would be living in some shabby accomodation in an area where crime is rife.

ReputationRep:
    Crime is rife in all of London, it's just that in some parts the streets are busier and they clean up the graffiti faster.

I dont think I want to go to London anymore

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 17, 2007

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.